1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2006 ZX6r

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by denmah, Oct 20, 2007.

1. denmah

i know this is mostly a car forum, but i really enjoy reading your builds, and thought why not share my turbo bike build.

So i have a 2006 636, that i drag race and ride around town quite a bit. Over the last year i have done some mods, most of them drag oriented, as i stretched it and lowered it, and installed nitrous oxide.

went a best of 10.55 @ 130mph on motor last fall.

and this summer with a small shot i went 10.43 @ 136 at a much higher elevation and 92f heat, i had plans to race it into the winter again going to atco to get some great times. I got a bit rammy and since i helped a friend turbo his mustang, i figured, well its time to turbo the bike. No more bottle running out, and lets face it, it will sound cool and be nutty!

the bike manages 110whp on motor and 147whp on spray.

if i can make 130-160 safely under 10psi on a small turbo non inter cooled on pump gas too, i will be really pleased.

so, first thing i ended up doing was removing the factory oil pressure test port, and after finding out that is a strait thread metric, it will be a pain in the ass to get a bolt that reduced down to something usable, IE 8th inch. So i decided why not drill and tap it, and if that doesnt work out, well ill just buy a 30 dollar fitting that does work later.

[​IMG]#ad

swung by parker hydraulics and had the man make me an oil line, these guys rule for fittings nitrous, oil and fuel.
    [​IMG]#ad

previous to this i installed some 10r injectors jumping to somewhere around the 200cc to 440cc injectors should make sure i have enough fuel to drown this thing.
    [​IMG]#ad

and of course things to tune the fuel, and manage the fuel in boost
    [​IMG]#ad

i have'nt been able to find flanges for the turbo i have, wasting time looking for them, we decided on a friday that i would just goto a machine shop and have the damn things cut... so, waiting for the weekdays to come back around we decided to make the intake hat for the ITB's

crushed a 3.5 inch exhaust tube we used to make an exhaust for my friends powerstroke haha, and the silicone is rad hose or diesel truck turbo tubing or something, i really cant tell but it was gunna work great.
    [​IMG]#ad

figured on using 2 inch piping left over because they fit the throttle bodies really well, so 2 inc hole saw...
    [​IMG]#ad

jam the pre cut 1.5 inch long runners into the cut silicone and drop the whole ITB assembly into the hat to tack weld it in place.
    [​IMG]#ad

weld away!
    [​IMG]#ad

ready to make the 2 inch feed into the hat...
    we also had to shave the sides down on those angles to clear the tank.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

drill the feed hole
    [​IMG]#ad

wood bit, lolz
    [​IMG]#ad

welded in place and looking mighty nice for a nights work
    [​IMG]#ad

sheet metal on the sides to close her up!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

engine enamel to make it pretty and protect it
    [​IMG]#ad

im using a KO3 turbo out of a 1.8t audi VW motor, checking the compressor map this should be a quick spooling nasty turbo for my bike.
    capable of feeding just over 200hp should be great for me to get started with this turbocharged mayhem.

2. tirefryin_s10

looks like all kinds of fun i love these type of projects.

3. thesled

looks good!

4. MustangMitch

This should be badass!

5. vwdave

Based on my knowledge of simple math and VW's, the VW's make 200whp at 20psi and run out at 5k RPM's. Im figuring youre running around 1/3 of the displacement and 3 times the RPM, it should work fine.

6. denmah

7. denmah

more done today, painted it a few times, bought 12 hose clamps haha and installed the hat, made a breather for the crank case that used to plug into the airbox, capped the fuel line for the 2ndary injectors, measured out how much 2 inch pipe i need, ordered a 45 degree silicone coupler etc etc... starting to come together fast, seems like i just started this project.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. std

Great project!!!

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my FZR600.

Keep the pictures coming.

9. denmah

i should be getting the other parts by the end of the week...

i have to order my turbo, (the ones i have are mock up that are no good)
    a scavenge pump, and some 2 inch tubing... then i have to pull my oil pan and install a return.

probably some other shit that will come up that adds up, you guys know how that shit goes.

10. TurboStang140

like it isnt fast enough already

11. denmah

10.43 @ 136 might be good enough for some people, but the fun in it for me is building and besting my self. :2thumbs:

12. denmah

Well, while im waiting for the turbo and the scavenge pump to arrive, along with my flanges to get machined, I recieved my 45 degree bend so i can go around the cyl head nicely with a soft pipe to minimize scraping the rad and valve cover. I routed the vaccum lines the way i wanted to, so they are not such a mess, and 4 lines T fitting into one was really a boost blown off vaccum nightmare waiting to happen in my head. So I flipped most of the hoses together and zip tied them down, then i attached the factory speed density sensor, and left one open for my GM 2 Bar Map sensor, and one more on the end running to my boost gauge. Boost gauge! i had one laying around that is off +1psi so i decided its a freebie why not mount it for now and get a liquid filled one later, zip tied that nice and routed it up around the dash, drilled a nice little hole and fed one of the clap screws in and washer and nutted it down, it is mounted very very securely and looks great i think. Here are some pics of the stuff i did today.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. TurboStang140

its got some cute pistons

14. denmah

haha, ive never had them out, but i can tell you from experience with my other 600s they are probably the size of a coke can cut into 3rds.

amazing to think a motor 39 cubes can make 147hp on a little spray

15. denmah

one step colder plugs, and drain fitting installed today

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

turbo should be in tomorrow or friday along wit the scavenge pump!

16. denmah

speak of the devil!

the pump!

[​IMG]#ad

17. 1lowtoy

Who did you get that pump from?

18. Fathouse

The build looks great. I would add some straps to hold the plemun down. Boost leaks there are always a pain in the rear.

My last street bike was so insane. Turbo busa, 16psi made 323hp and 208tq.

Fathouse

19. denmah

Mr Turbo.

20. denmah

we actually made that intake hat fit so close that the felt and padding on the inside of the tank just push up against it, so the tank will be holding the plenum down.

got my turbo today, here it is next to the beat up mock up turbo!

[​IMG]#ad