1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2006 ion redline lean

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Zkaeding, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Zkaeding

I got a 2006 Saturn ion redline turbocharged and when I do a pull say in second gear and hit rev limiter the car goes lean like 15/17 under full throttle on any other gear until the car is restarted if I don’t hit revlimiter the car won’t lean out at wot it will be at 10/11.5
    2.0l lsj
    80# injectors
    E85 tuned

2. tbird

It will show lean on rev limit. If its spark cut limiter its basically a misfire which doesnt burn the air and fuel charge so the unused oxygen shows as lean.
    With fuel cut , still the same thing.

TTF/Ken likes this.
  3. 91turboterror

Don’t hit the rev limiter then lol

4. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Lol
    3kfvme.jpg #ad

91turboterror likes this.
  5. tbird

what you mean. Import guys ride rev limiters for 100ft or so.
    I still can find a technical reason why.

6. TTF/Ken Staff Member

A lot of import guys do it so they can keep the throttle hammered down through the shift to help with power loss in the next gear, but it's not a substitute for a really beefy clutch where they can keep the hammer down and shift very fast without a huge amount of slip, and do that before they hit the limiter.

7. tbird

shift fast and import. hahahahhaha thats funny

91turboterror likes this.
  8. B E N

How did this thread so quickly degenerate into an import bashing fest?

I'm not sure what the root of the problem is, if I understand the OP correctly the car runs fine unless you hit redline in second gear, then the car will run lean any time your under boost. I would try sending your tuner an email, what is the tuning platform? How lean are we talking about? It sounds like there is a protection strategy in the ECM that is getting activated; you will need to sort out the problem or get the protection disabled, does it throw any codes when this happens?

9. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Ben,

It's going into limp mode, usually exceeding either the MAF or MAP limit. Those cars go into limp mode very easy, even stock (my mother's did that).

10. Bad Medicine Racing

Because most time being FWD they are spinning. If you make the shift before or right when it hits the limiter the engine will bog because the tire will plant and the car will be way below the needed speed to actually pull in the next gear because they have almost no torque. So they ride the limiter to keep the engine and wheel speed up, and give the rest of the car a chance to gain speed to catch up with the wheel speed.

11. tbird

sorry, I was most likely the bash starter. I wasnt to harsh though