1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2006 GMC sierra RCSB, 4WD Turbo

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by DAMIENSIEG, Dec 9, 2021.

1. DAMIENSIEG

2006 GMC sierra
    Regular cab short bed
    4.8l SBE
    4wd

I acquired the truck in Maine (weird) for 9k (side bar::: wtf are these doing being worth this much), It was originally from mass.

Truck is very clean almost no rust on the body and frame small amount of scale on the drivers side motor rail. This was a repaint at some point in its life and looks to be pretty well taken care of. This is not a basket case I wanted to start with a good base. The truck has a nasty death wobble from 50-55 other than that......mint.

Build plans:

Plan is to have a Full street build This will have full interior, speakers, heat ect. This will also have AC, NO cage. This is a street truck

Keeping that at the center, performance goals are 1000hp, ability to run 9's on 93 pump gas. Oh and its going to stay as a stock LS shortblock, I want to just beat the snot out of this and not care and if it blows up. Then put another junkyard short block in it when I shoot a rod out the side of the block.

Obviously that's easier said than done. It will rely on quite a bit of Meth/water injection to get me there, and need a shit ton of supporting mods. Decided on a single turbo setup mainly for space, simplicity, spool and cost. Robert at Forced Performance supplied the T6 hd8088. Should be a big enough compressor to make the power and big enough turbine to not have so much back pressure I grenade this SBE lol

Anyways moving on I've spent about 4 months acquiring all the parts (backorders ect) and planning the build and parts combos. Finally assembling now.

On to the fun stuff here is the build specs

Powertrain

Shortblock

SBE 4.8l ls engine

-Gen 4 big rods and gapped stock rings rings

-Melling high pressure Oil pump

-JP billet chain and Billet gears

-New OEM gaskets everywhere

-New Water pump

-New OEM exhaust studs

-New OEM crank bolt

-New Fluidamper Crank Pulley

-New Arp head Studs

-New GM metal HG

-Jegs valley cover plate with o-ring gasket -10 fitting welded on

-ICT freeze plug holder-inners lockout do dads

-Motion Raceworks 4 port steam vent hard line kit

-ICT billet coil Brackets

Heads/Valvetrain

-Stock unported 799 heads

-Stock Valves

-BTR beehive dual springs

-Chromoly pushrods

-GM upgraded lifters

-ISKY triple 12 cam 212/212

Intake/Turbo/exhaust

Turbo kit

Huron speed 302ss t6 turbo kit (allows for ac)

custom AC line to work with turbo

Hotside Ceramic coated silver all vband

4" thick bar and plate Intercooler

3' Coldside piping with vanjans

Fabbed coolant overflow

Tial 50mm BOV

Turbosmart 60mm waste gate

Forced Performance HD8088 T6 1.32a/r

Intake

Holley Hi Ram 92mm intake powder coated black

Stock drive by wire throttle body

Exhaust

4" Ceramic coated down pipe

Custom Short 4" aluminum exhaust straight through race muffler dumped off before the tire. All Vband

Fuel system

1200cc Fuel Injector clinic injectors

Holley Fuel Rails

Magnafuel pressure regulator with motion intake mount

Magnafuel 25micron filter pre rail inline stainless filter

Magnafuel 74micron post pump stainless inline filter

-8an feed lines

-6an Return lines

All black AN vibrant fittings

Stock sending unit with quick connect AN adapters

Twin Racetronix 340lph E85 pumps with billet pump coupler (typical flow 750LPH+ @ 43.5PSI @ 13.5V)

Custom meth system

80/20 M1 water mix

Dual devils own nozzles mounted post ait sensor in charge pipe

Devils own Meth pump

AEM progressive boost ref controller

All PTFE Vibrant -4an fittings

All PTFE nylon Vibrant -4an lines

Feeds from Windshield washer tank

Cooling

On3 Performance Radiator with -16an lines

Dual fan kit with custom Shroud

Upgraded fabricated coolant overflow

Upgraded radiator cap

New GM Water pump

Derale transmission cooler with fan kit

Electronics/wiring

Stock PCM- Will be holly soon enough winter project

Racetronix fuel pump relay and rewire kit

ON3 performance plug and play fan relay kit

TBM line lock with button on dash

Turbosmart 40psi electronic boost controller (all pushlock an lines)

ZR1 3 bar stock style map

New ait sensors

Speed Density conversion

AEM progressive meth controller

160amp bosch alternator with upgraded 3" hooiser pulley to handle the rpms

Leash big dog 1 fused power distribution block.

Drivetrain

Transmission

Accurate Transmission Built 4l80 with 300m input shaft (no transbrake computer shift)

Glens auto bolt in 4l80 crossmember

Glens auto bolt in Driveshaft loop

Tci flexplate

258mm Circle D torque converter 3500 stall

Stock rear drive shaft with strange chromoly yoke

Stock transfer case with replaced input receiver to match the 32spline 4l80

Rearend/axles

10 bolt GM rear with welded tubes

30 spline yukon axles

eaton posi diff

4.11 quick performance rear gear

T/A braced Girdle

ARP extended wheel studs

2500hd front axle

Suspension

VAS rear drop shock relocation brackets weld on adjustable brackets

Viking DA coilover shocks

Weld on Rear adjustable anti roll bar

Calvert MONOLEAF rear springs

Smith Racecraft Assassin traction bars

Haven't skipped anything on this truck, even though its a POS SBE its going to be nice. It's currently getting built now should be able to hit the dyno with it by January. Plan is to rev this thing to 8k and make power with boost and keep timing away from MBT. This has a very small duration and lobe on the cam should give me great street manners and torque with this baby motor and ill just make the power by adding more boost.

We will see what it will take I'm figuring 25-30psi to get there. I've got enough waste gate spring and fuel to get me there on pump gas. We will see!

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  2. DAMIENSIEG

The truck the day I bought it.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad
    \

The garage collecting a disgusting parts pile for 4 months

[​IMG]#ad
    \

[​IMG]#ad
    \

Billet alternator pulley, I'm not sure why shit likes this is exciting to me lol
    [​IMG]#ad

Parts travel day, A real paul walker moment
    [​IMG]#ad

Starting teardown
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Shortblock is a boat anchor holy fuck

[​IMG]#ad

For a boat anchor bearings were perfect, still had some cross hatch was a very good shortblock. We confirmed it has Gen 4 big rods, gapped the stick rings and threw it back together with the Cam, timing shit and pump.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Some goodies starting to get mocked up
    [​IMG]#ad

Starting radiator mods, We started with an upgraded radiator and on3 was out of fans and shrouds awesome. Rather than wait ten years for one or do it without a shroud Jacked fabbed up our own. Honestly came out better anyways. Next up is welding on -12an fittings.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Rather than setup the Catch can setup to the valve covers. I opted to weld two 10an fittings on the valley cover and run them behind the motor. Also cleaner that way IMO.

[​IMG]#ad

Quick coat of paint after

[​IMG]#ad

Valve covers decided on using stock units, media blasted them removed the stock vacuum nipples and painted.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Just kidding the vacuum nipples didn't get removed, rather than media blast again and weld them. Just decided to have jack remove the nipples JB weld and quick repaint. These are not worth the time to be honest.

[​IMG]#ad

Motor is together now and set in. Frame will be descaled by the drivers side and por15'd.

Front Sway bar will be removed as well

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    wht73 and Disney Lincoln like this.
  3. DAMIENSIEG

Admin's any idea why its killing my pics?

4. DAMIENSIEG

More updates

Valley cover in and Steam vents installed. They cleared the an fittings haha, barely.

[​IMG]#ad
    Untitled[/url] by Damien Sieg, on Flickr

Accessory's starting to get bolted on. Drivers header and turbo on.
    [​IMG]#ad

Rear housing back from the sand blaster getting ready to be prepped to be built.
    [​IMG]#ad

5. Disney Lincoln

That head gasket is on backwards. Hoping you fixed it before buttoning it all up!

B E N and Mnlx like this.
  6. B E N

Anything you can do to up the head flow is good for business. Those are fine in stock form but at your power goals a little more head could really help.

7. DAMIENSIEG

Agreed, I think that people underestimate stock head ports though. Stock port lends to a pretty good curve for a street car and you can always just make more power upping the boost. You are not wrong but Coming from 4cl land and dealing with 120ci motors making 500-600hp pretty easily on stock cast heads with no port. We would port them and would see marginal gains and just loose head material, for the 50 extra hp Id gain id rather just add a couple pounds of boost IMO.

8. DAMIENSIEG

Rear axle is up today pics to follow. in the mean time.... 4l80 trans built by accurate transmission in CT. With some billet from the circle d poking out.

[​IMG]#ad

Also ran into some issues today in regards to the tailshaft adapter. I need to source a 4l80 to 4l60e transfer case adapter. That's on order now. Why i decided to keep this 4wd I'm not sure. Its been a pain in the ass to figure out how to 4l80 swap it. For inquiring minds this is what you need!

Use original 2006 1500 front diff and axles

Use a 2500 intermediate driveshaft pn 151182094

Stock 1500 2006 transfer case replace input shaft to stock 32 spline 2500 hd unit part # 19019

To mate a 4x4 4l80 to the stock 1500 transfer case use a gm part tailhousing adapter pn 15724745

Reuse stock 1500 drive shaft replace yoke with strange unit to compensate for the longer 4l80
    Pn str-u1664

[​IMG]#ad

Third issue non issue lol

I bought fuel injector clinic 1200's to fit a truck intake not a Holley Hi Ram. I thought I was missing a top hat for them. Called Fuel Injector Clinic and he pretty much said, asshole just take of the lower adapters and run them in the bottom hole of the Holley rail mounts. lol

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Rear diff is now setup here are the specs:

2.588” desired pinion height
    2.590” actual pinion height w/ .066” shim
    19” pinion bearing preload
    .008” backlash

Paint was super poopie and clumpy but you get the idea, not that it even matters when you are physically checking tolerances.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The frame was needled and cleaned and then brushed with a rust prohibitor.
    [​IMG]#ad

A bunch Parts should be in today, all the fittings for the fuel system. All vibrant stuff was on back order. Switched to Fragola to get them in time.

The new 4:10 front diff and trans case adapter should be here as well.

Should have the fuel system plumbed and in today or tomorrow.

9. DAMIENSIEG

All right more updates

Rear axles is all built. Just Need to cut off shock mounts and weld on arb tabs, new rear shock tabs then paint and reinstall.

[​IMG]#ad

Fuel system is run. Ran into a snag with the sending unit. I had proper submersible hose and oiketer clamps for the sending unit. I ordered 3 sizes and still bought the wrong one. FML

We got the sending unit measured and ordered new holley submersible hose in the correct ID on the way. Other than that The bulkhead fitting for the feed is installed and the dual pumps are in the basket with the billet collector. All lines are run and filters installed. Went with the Magnafuel motion regulator kit. Love the location makes for a pretty clean setup.

[​IMG]#ad

Got a lot of the accessories and BS installed now, Ran into a few issues of course. I'm using injector connectors from Fuel Injector Clinic to convert to truck tops to match the harness. Seemed like a good enough idea, fast forward it now looks like eight monkey dicks hanging off the injectors. Need to find a solution to that.

[​IMG]#ad

10. DAMIENSIEG

Good eye! Yes we did, got flipped before heads when on.

11. Disney Lincoln

12. DAMIENSIEG

I'm aware, These are essentially the same thing just is a converter harness it's just to long, I will just modify the harness. I was just hoping to avoid touching the stock harness at all . I will be converting it to holley piggy back setup anyways after the winter and will be removing a lot of pins. Was just hoping to avoid touching it at all right now.

13. DAMIENSIEG

Pulled the turbski to get the compressor polished.
    -16an fittings welded on the water pump and Thermostat housing.

[​IMG]#ad

Pumps mounted in the stock sending unit basket. Used a billet racetronix manifold that both pumps plug into and feed to one line. Then Reworked it now the stock feed will now be the 6an return and used a bulkhead fitting for a -8an feed. Unit uses a racetronix full rewire kit and dual pump relay setup.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. Disney Lincoln

There are plenty of non0-donkey dicked adapters available. Probably $12 on Amazon for a set.

Edit: like these:

15. DAMIENSIEG

Its a good idea but I dont see all in one for what Id need. Mine would be a multec2 male to ev1 female, id love a small one like you posted. Me no findy though

16. wht73

What size converter did they build you? I think the told me a 250 something mm

17. Disney Lincoln

Crap, that makes it hard. Back to my original idea!

18. DAMIENSIEG

4L80 PRO SERIES 258MM 2DX 3500 STALL

This will be a 29" tire revving to 8000rpm, Im guessing the truck will be 4800 or so weight.

wht73 likes this.
  19. wht73

8k? What gears?
    I went a cross the stripe in my old 406 at 7 with a 4500 8” converter and 28” MT Et pros and 4.30’s

20. wht73

Hurry up and finish! I want a review on that converter! Lol