1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2003 Cobra t56 swap into a 5.0??? CHEAPEST & SFI APPROVED<PLEASE READ>

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Mrpeeps81, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Mrpeeps81

2003 Cobra t56 swap into a 5.0??? CHEAPEST & SFI APPROVED<PLEASE READ>

ive used the search button and found only little information on this subject. ive been lookin to find the cheapest t56 vendor to be purchased for my 89 5.0. So far, on ebay, i can purchase a fully rebuilt T56 for a 03-04 cobra for 1600. if you have a core its 1200. Here lies the info i need. I know for sure that 2003 T56's come with a standard 10 spline input shaft and "27" spline output. Right now i have a ford motorsport aluminum driveshaft for the t-5. can a regular 27 spline yoke for the cobra be fitted onto my driveshaft or do i have to purchase an aftermarket yoke? Also, as far as the bellhousing goes, i know for a fact that Mcleod does make sfi bellhousings for t56 to 5.0 swaps. i checked it out. Do all t56's have the same bolt pattern for different bellhousings? for instance let say i had the t56 in my 5.0 and wanted to put it in a 4.6, can i buy a 4.6 bellhousing and just bolt it right on or is the bolt pattern differnt where the bellhousing bolts onto the transmission itself? summit sells t56's for 5.0s for $2215 with a regular bellhousing. so far thats the cheapest for a new one. d&d wants 2799 for the whole installtion kit which comes with driveshaft, crossmember, regular bellhousing which i dont need. id rather by the rebuilt one and put it if its not goin to be too much of a hassle, plus itll save alot of cash.

2. .347_stang

Re: 2003 Cobra t56 swap into a 5.0???

I would like info on this swap as well :) thanks guys

3. Mrpeeps81

ok. ive done a littler more research. I went on D&D's website and looked at the u-joints and yokes. The yoke i would assume taht goes on the 03/04 t56's out of a cobra would be the 27Tooth yoke for chevy's. i looked at the u joint part number and it is the same u-joint used for the aluminum driveshaft for the t-5's. the only u-joint that is different is the viper spec t56's. every other t56 uses the same 1330 part number u-joing. so im guessing if you wanted to use that yoke and put it on the regular aluminum driveshaft used for t-5's, then it shouldnt be a problem. your just goin to have to shorten your driveshaft. normal aluminum driveshaft for the t-5s is 45.5 inches. you need a 43.5 inch for the t56. Opinions would be appreciated if my info is incorrect. Aslo, it comes with electric speedometer pickup? can it be converted to mechanical? im running an aftermarket autometer speedometer with mechancial pickup now in my car, but if i have to buy the electric speedo, that wouldnt be a problem.

4. nova1

we make the transmission crossmember that d&d sells for the swap the part # is 5060-az

5. Mrpeeps81

Ok. heres the deal and parts if i am correct on this info. For one, heres the website for the transmisson. www.smartpartsauto.com There you can get a fully rebuilt with warranty Tremec t-56 part number TUET-1694 which is a standard t56 out of a 03-04 cobra for 1700 with shipping. This transmission even comes with the close ratio gears which are the same as the viper spec. 1st 2.66/ 2nd 1.78/ 3rd 1.30/4th 1.0/5th .80/6th .62. Input spline is 10 and output 27. Heres the breakdown of prices and parts needed for the 5.0 "SFI Approved Bellhousing" swap if all goes well.

T56 (03/04 Cobra) Close ratio transmission - (smartpartsauto.com) $1700
    Mcleoud SFI bellhousing (part #MCL-8750-00)&lt;----that is summits part#) $ 425
    Summit says its not SFI approved but on Mcleods site it says It is.
    Chevy 27tooth Yoke (from D&D's website) if this fits??? $ 79
    This yoke should fit on the regular aluminun T-5 ford racing driveshaft u-joint.
    Ford racing aluminum driveshaft shortened by machine shop 2 inches $ 150-200 ??
    Crossmember for transmission $ 100 ??
    This transmission has an electric speedo so i dont know what a conversion piece is.
    I have all autometer guages in my car so im sure autometer makes a conversion
    for the 03/04 speedometer calibration.
    Also, you can use your t-5 clutch and fork from what ive read.
    Total $2505

I think 2500 bux is a great price for a close ratio SFI approved t56 for a fox body.
    shit, D&D wants 2799 for the 5.0 kit and its not even sfi approved or close ratio gears.
    let me know if this will not work as far as input shaft lengths but im 99% positive this will work.

6. Mrpeeps81

Re: 2003 Cobra t56 swap into a 5.0??? CHEAPEST & SFI APPROVED<PLEASE READ>

well if the chevy yoke doesnt fit i searched some more today and found a site that sells the 27 spline slip yoke for 1330 u-joints which is the same u-joint on the ford motorsport aluminum driveshaft. heres the site. http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/slip_yokes.html#
    scroll down and it even says 27 spline for t-56's. think its priced at 75 with shipping.

7. Lucafu1

take my advice for what its worth......................get the viper t56 kit from D&D and call it a day.

my main shaft (output shaft) snapped in half sending the d/s flying on some wheel hop on a weak 1-2 shift. i was making about 420-440rwhp with my cobra weighing 3900#s. this was with less then 4000 miles. i bought the viper t56 (stonger, bigger input and output shaft) and havent had a problem since (well i totaled my cobra). Held up to 550rwhp and a 75 shot every now and then. 6k clutch dumps on slicks. its a great transmission IMO.

thats just my $0.02

hope it works out for you, whatever you decide.

8. Mrpeeps81

the viper is like 3800 from d&d and comes with a crap bellhousing. ive read about some poeple on here with stock t-56's with 700 horse and 10 spline inputs, not breaking the transmissions. im goin to be seeing 500 rwhp in probably a 3000 lb notchback. whats the difference in the viper spec anyway besides having a 26 spline input and 31 output? the gears are different but i can get the same gears from this rebuilt transmission. my car is goin to see maybe 3 or 4 times at the strip a year and its goin to be on drag radials not slicks. i dont even beat the shit out of the car either. i would say its goin to be driven easy. its a weekend/nice weather car, not a daily driver. Ive been searching this swap for like the past week and it seems pretty straight forward if you know what parts your looking for. i just found out that autometer makes electric speedometer senders for electric speedometers so right there, i know everything im goin to need for the swap. 2799 for the standard t56 kit is a ripoff. if it came with the sfi bellhousing and the close ratio gears, id jump all over the deal. but for the same price or less, i can do it the same way, have a sfi bellhousing, and close ratio gears. more bang for the buck right there.

9. Lucafu1

they are bigger, can handle more torque but thats probly just the shafts. thats about all the diff. also you can substitute the bell housing im sure. they are mccloed dealers.

but yeah if you wont push the car hard youll be fine.

10. 808cobra

Hi if any of you guys are interested I can get you guys mcleod b&m and hurst products for cheap. Just pm me and I'll give you more info cause my dad is an authorized dealer. If you guys are making a lot of power you should look into mcleod's street twin clutch setup because it can handle over 1000 rwhp and still drive like a street clutch!! http://www.mcleodind.com/ http://www.bmracing.com/ http://www.hurst-shifters.com/