1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2 step launch help

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by rudder9, Apr 21, 2015.

1. rudder9

Little background, 95 ford lightning 383 sbf Turbonetics 7668 tuned with a fast. Saturday I got it to the track for the first time @ Cecil county. I wasn't there to kill the track just make sure the truck was running good. Made 7 passes 5 on a 7lb spring and went a best of 12.36 @ 113.87. 2 passes were made at around 11.4 psi and the best was a 12.00 @ 118.62. I was very happy the truck ran flawlessly for the first time out, but she is a slug getting out of the hole. I'm using a 2 step to leave and the best I could do was a 2.0 60'. I have a 26-2800 stall converter but I can up the 2 step much more before the brakes won't hold. I didn't add anymore timing either, because I'm not sure how much I could add to help leave. At 2000 the timing table is at 18* and at 2100 it pulls back to 17*. I was running a 1/2 tank of fuel which was around 70/30 93 octane/ vp110. The motor is 9.4 :1 compression. I figured the truck would spool this turbo with ease given my c.I. Am I low on the timing because she is also a little sluggish even rolling into it on the street? Basically my tune starts to pull timing as soon as boost is seen. On the 2 step the data shows a bit above 2psi but when I launch it feels like nothing until 60ft. out then she's off. I go from in the 20's timing to a quick pull down to 18, then 17 then to 15 for anything above 4 lbs.I'm not trying to kill this thing, just get out better. It's a street truck that sees fri. nights and rentals. I used to cut low 1.6 60' when I was a stock motor with heads and cam and 125 shot.

2. Rickracer

I say it needs more timing. my old motor had 10.75 compression and timing was locked at 36°, started pulling timing at 4 lbs. of boost, pulling 1° per lb. after that. The reason for such aggressive timing with that much compression is the E85 fuel I run. I think the same timing curve would work well for you at your compression with the fuel you're running.

3. rudder9

I think your right with the timing. My buddy tuned the truck from a base file sent to me from another friend who is a tuner. We know what's going on but are a little uneasy with putting more timing in, so I think I'm going to take it to my tuner friend and put it on the dyno. The truck drives great, but it's def. on the fat side of safe. I usually run just 93 but I think I'm going to mix in some 110 for a little octane reassurance all the time. It's mostly a driver but at the track she's real lazy out of the hole. I'd just like to clean that up a little. I am assembling an iron eagle motor and would like to not kill this one so I can sell it. Stock blocked but nice rotating assembly.