1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2.3 turbo engine harness question

Discussion in 'Turbo Sport Compact, 4-6 Cylinder and Import Turbo Tech' started by shelby1, Mar 25, 2014.

1. shelby1

I just recently bought a complete motor and transmission from a 88 TC, I got everything, intercooler, fans and the complete front of car electrical harness. I did not inspect the electrical harness until the past weekend .I discovered that when the man that I bought it from removed the harness ,he cut the part of the harness that connects to the computer and left the computer and the piece of harness in the car. Well the car is gone to the scrap yard so now I am stuck with a harness that I can't use.
    Now my question ,can a stock 2.3 harness with fuel injection be repined /modified to run the turbo motor ? Or do I need to find another harness or buy a stand alone one ? I have done some searching on the web and have not found a stand alone harness as of yet
    Kenny

2. 91turboterror

Wow whoever removed the harness isn't too bright he cut the most important part off

3. Mnlx

Its been awhile, but iirc you can repin a n/a harness to work with the tc ecm.

4. shelby1

Yes he is not a familiar with Ford systems, he mistook the relay box for the computer........

5. shelby1

i was hoping that this could be done .....just have not found any thing on it yet.....I figured that if any one would know the people on this forum would. I have been lurking and reading on this forum for the last year or so to get the info i need to do the swap that I wanted to do. I wanted to put this combo in a 91 Isuzu pickup but I have come to the conclusion that this would be a difficult swap, so I decided to put it into a Ranger which would be a drop in for the most part . Now I just need to find the right truck .
    Kenny

6. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Not surprised he cut it off. I've seen too many people take short cuts with parting out, especially at salvage yards.

In in addition to pinning changes, you're going to need to get it chipped with a tune to operate the engine, since you'd be using a naturally aspirated PCM - unless you can find a turbo'd PCM on eBay. Wish I knew the catch codes right off hand for the application. :(

7. shelby1

Thanks for the quick reply, i have found several turbo pcms on ebay and may have a lead on one locally......and may have a lead on a Ranger with a blown motor.....
    Kenny

8. Mnlx

I have pin locations for most of the turbo 2.3's as well as most of the n/a applications. If you need some info, let me know what harness, and what ecm, and i'll see if I can find the pinouts for you.

9. TTF/Ken Staff Member

10. shelby1

WOW ...Thank you this is great!!! now i have to set down and study these and see where that the changes need to be made. Unlike most people I actually like to do electrical harness work ,as i am a retired Aircraft Avionics Tech ( electrician/ electronics ) but most of my time I worked as a Aircraft electrician so I don't have a problem with wiring.I am eager to get this prject up and driving but I know that I have a way to go so guys please bear with me for all the questions that are sure to come.
    Kenny

11. 65ShelbyClone

The problematic area with using an NA EFI harness is not having the TFI pigtail. Something else you could do is graft on another 60-pin EEC-IV connector from some other harness and re-pin as needed. I have some '86 Turbo Coupe parts I'm not going to use like the VAM and ECU, but I have to figure out which ones first.

12. SVO Jack

If you run across a 87-93 mustang harness you can get the re-pin instructions from stinger performance tech articles or you can buy a new harness setup for 87-88 turbo coupe PCM from Ron Francis. The detail zone in Chester PA

TTF/Ken likes this.
  13. shelby1

65shelbyclone,svo jack, Many thanks for the information, sorry that i have not replied sooner, i went back to full time employment recently as a full time maintenance mechanic at a custom table top manufacturer and have not much time to do much of anything, work on my vehicles ,get on my computer or much of anything else . I am really wanting to get back to working on this motor and get it into the truck that I found,but as life goes there are things that must be taken care of so you can do the things that you want to do that are your passion. As I said at the first of this post many thanks and I hope to get back on here soon.....
    Kenny

14. 65ShelbyClone

It's kind of funny because four months later I'm finally at the wiring stage on my Pinto's 2.3T swap.

15. dragvw2180

The connector to the processor is a standard 60 pin connector common to all Ford EEC IV vehicles . The connector should be exactly the same from 1984 to 1993-4 , In 1994 some had gone to EEC V . If you make a contact at any Ford dealer he can get you a copy of the schematic from an H manual ( EEC diag book ) . I am a retired Ford tech and Drivability was my specialty. Look at these two items on EBAY. Mike McCarthy
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-FORD-F...lothing_Merchandise_Media&hash=item540ba54c0d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-60...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43aa426804&vxp=mtr