1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1st Teksid rebuild - what to do???

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by trevman2, Apr 16, 2011.

1. trevman2

I just picked up a complete 98 Cobra motor for $400 and I want to rebuild it for my car. All in all, I want it to be able to handle around 900 RWHP, even though I am only going to start with around 600ish. What do i need to tell the machine shop to do to the block and crank to have a reliable street / strip engine build? The block looks good to me so far - just torn down. Still has the cross hatch marks in the cylinder walls. Looks like it threw a timing chain because the oil scraper is damaged on the oil pan. Besides cleaning and magnaflux on the block and maybe chamfering the oil holes on the crank, what else would set me up for reliability around the 900 RWHP mark? I have a 66mm turbo right now but will be upgrading to a 76 or 78 later on down the road. Thanks for the input...

2. FoPar

make sure they use torque plates when they do any work, you will need an align hone, hone cylinder bores. crank doesn't need too much, chamfer the oil holes is enough.

3. trevman2

Thanks. I was told about the torque plates already so I just need to find a shop that has them for my car. Anybody else have any inputs??? Help me out guys. What are the weak spots of the block & crank?

4. lrostosky

Crank should be fine for use, as long as there is no damaged. I recently picked up a 98 cobra motor too and the crank was unusable due to spun rod bearing which scratched the journal to deeply. For rods, look at companies like manley, eagle or oliver depending on your exact hp requirements. The teksid block is the strongest aluminum one out there, should be fine with some cleaning and machining. For pistons there are many different preferences, manley, diamond, cp, or je. Do some searching to figure out which will best suit your needs/budget.
    -Lee

5. trevman2

I actually have a new set of your rods already - the 4340 H beam rods and they say they are good up to 850. I will wait on the pistons to see if I have to bore the cylinders, but which would you recommend for around 9-9.5 CR on stock heads and set up for turbo abuse? I have read alot about loud pistons in a cold engine - how do I stay away from that? I also bought one of your MMR new oil pumps with the cryo gears. Thanks for the inputs