1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1st pass...car too slow (7lbs 302) what do you think? slip inside

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by Teal94GT50, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Teal94GT50

Ran the first pass in the car after getting a few bugs worked out. Car is a '94 gt Stock short block, trickflow heads and 1/7 rockers, street heat intake. Stock T/b
    PTK turbo kit that made about 8lbs. Stock t-5 w/ spec stg 2, 31 spline rear w/ 3.08s

60ft- 1.86
    330ft- 5.204
    594ft- 7.463
    1/8et- 7.959
    1/8mph- 90.71
    1.4et- 12.375
    1/4mph 110.55

The car was ran on 93 octane and only about 16 degrees of timing in boost. Think the lack of timing is making it run that much slower? I know i should be around 20 or so and just didn't get a chance to crank it up.
    Thanks for any help, Will

2. notch

Even with that tuneup you are still down a minimum of 5+ MPH from the looks of your 1/8th MPH, was this car dynoed or do you have the wideband data log setup for your PMS? I personally picked up over 100+hp from my 10.2 A/F (When my old leaded up 02 sensor and Uego 1000 was reading a false 11.2) to a true 11.2 A/F.
    It could also take a couple degrees of timing as well.

3. 302andsome

get that thing on a dyno, looks like it's falling off

4. Bobo

Like the others have said, looks like it's losing some on the 2nd half of the track. Typically would have a couple more mph in the 1/4 after doing almost 91 in the 1/8. Any idea what could be causing that? FWIW, I had a similar combo on a Fox car, and ran 10 degrees base timing with 10 psi. No problems and had no idea where my a/f was. I could have just been very lucky :angel:

5. Teal94GT50

Nope, haven't had a chance to go to the dyno. I do have an aem wideband hooked up, but no data logging. I was eye balling it down the track and it was about 11.0

What are you guys shifting at w/ the stock cam and bottom end? I know that won't be the whole problem, but maybe part of it.

Stupid car :bang: I'm sure its a simple operator error, lol.

Thanks, Will

6. Bobo

Are you going through in 3rd or trying to shift to 4th just as you pass the 1/4 trap speed beams?

7. TuffGT

What's your fuel system(inj, pump)? I also think you need a little more rearend gear in that car (at least 3.55 gears). You should be seeing at least 118-120 mph with that amount of boost with your setup. :huh:

8. Teal94GT50

I'm having to go into 4th gear. I had 3.73's at first but it was waaaay to much. I'd like to try a set of 3.27's but don't have any handy. Fuel system is a 255 intank w/ 42lb injectors.

I'm not shifting the car super hard b/c its still the t-5 ( and doing good) so thats probably a few tenths there. I'm pretty easy on the 2-3 shift. Still, the car should have more top-end on it.

The Wideband sensor is about a year old, and hasn't had any race fuel throught it. I just don't want to take too much fuel out and pop a gasket or piston :eek:

9. TwoFastT3s

My car has stock heads/bottom end, and same fuel system as you. I ran on sunday, it went 11.12, 11.14, 11.17 @ 119, 119, and 120mph with 10lbs. of boost. Timing was 17deg, A/F was 11.4-11.6 under boost.

Nate

p.s. it was getting 1.55-1.58 60ft's though...

10. Teal94GT50

I should be close to you :bang: I know your cars a little lighter, but not that much, lol.

The more I think about it the more I'm wondering if the Wideband isn't giving me a false reading or something.
    But at cruising its right around 14.7-15.1 like the pcm is commanding, so i can't see being that far off at WOT??

I'm missing something here. Before I do anything more, I need to get one of those cobra electric vac pumps, things trying to push the dipstick out. Car/engine only has 43k miles on it so it shouldn't be loose.... And it doesn't run like it has a cracked/broken ring. Runs great, just lacks the top end....

11. River City Speed

What size turbo does the PTK dominator kit come with?

My car is like twofastT3's car. It only has GT40 Iron heads and intake, TF stage 1 cam and it runs 118 on 8psi. The turbo is a T6.

My car has 3.55's and was run on 295 radials, not drag radials. The timing was at 16 with the spout in and about 2 gal of 104 Sunoco mixed with the rest of a full tank of 93 octane. I'm not sure what the A/F was. I think it was a touch lean since I didn't have enough race gas in it.

Are you pulling timing under boost? Years ago I had a Vortech supercharged coupe. I used a MSD BTM and it pulled too much timing when I first hooked it up. I was hauling ass on the interstate running down my brother very quickly and around 100 something MPH, it just nosed over. It only took once for that to happen, I turned it off completely and it would just scream.

All I have for tuning my car is timing and fuel pressure, I have an LM-1 for AFR.

12. Teal94GT50

Yeah, pulling timing, to about 16-17 degrees. I know i could run it a little higher, but it shouldn't be hurting it that much.

I did just remember the pro-m maf the car came w/ is set up for a power adder, and I was going to send it in and have it re-caled for N/A

Its been awhile since i messed w/ it and forgot about that.

Who do i get ahold of to send that in? I bet that's a lot of the problem, just too much fuel still.

Thanks, Will

13. River City Speed

If it's getting too much fuel, why not just give it more timing or boost? I'm not familiar with SN95's, can you bump the timing and lock it out at say, 19-20? I'd try that. I'm going to be doing that to my car when I go to the track next time. According to what I've been told on this forum, you can basically run stockish timing on such low boost. No need to pull timing at all. That has been my experiance also. On my car, I'm hoping the added timing down low will help spool the big ass turbo earlier.

14. ddv005

Did i read that right??? You are running a T6 frame turbo?

15. River City Speed

Yup! Most would consider it too big, but I like it. The car rips on the top end. I love it when random people walk up and tell me how quick my car is.