1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1999 Rear window Removal?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Ed Clark, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ed Clark

I'm working on a rear firewall in my 1999 Mustang GT.

The rear seat portion almost looks like a no brainer. The package tray appears to be a bit tougher. Mainly installing rivets up underneath the rear window. It appears to be much easier to do a good job by removing the rear window.

Anybody done this and know how to remove the rear window. Or better yet, get the package tray firewall properly secured without removing the rear window?

Thanks for the help,

Ed

2. stangman9897

3. stangman9897

4. Ed Clark

Thanks, Kinda what I feared. Getting someone to come by sounds like the best idea. My past experience leads me to believe that I'll probably break the glass!

Had a though overnight... Is there any reason I have to do this all with one panel or cover the entire package tray? Or can I just address each hole individually? Appearance wise it would not look as good but I already have a carpeted, lightweight rear panel to cover the package tray. Of course each patch panel would be sealed and riveted.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Ed

5. stangman9897

I would just make one pannel and lay it on top and just plug weld it from the bottom in the trunk. :welder:

6. Ed Clark

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if it could work. I was in the back of the car today working on the rear firewall and I think there maybe just enough room to work back there.

Thanks,

Ed

7. Mike93SVT

i had the back window taken out of my car to do the firewall and cage. made it much easier. also was able to get the detailed areas taken care of on top of the lid there. it was easier to get the panels in from that space too, instead of over the harness bar and shit. plus i was able to redo the tint and make it dark so the cage can't be seen from outside :cheers:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. Ed Clark

Very nice installation. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for posting.

I actually did some work on it last weekend, at least the rear seat back panels. While in there I re-injured my L5-S1 disc that has been bothering very badly for the last year. The doctor gave me some pain meds that worked so good I felt like a million bucks! Problem was that the pain I should have been feeling was being masked. I've spent the last week laid up in bed. Starting to get moving around again. Then I'll get back to the race car.

Thanks again for the responses,

Ed