1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1999 Mustang GT questions

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Big_Ed, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Big_Ed

Hey there guys.

I am having an issue with a 1999 Mustang GT I bought about 6 weeks ago.
    I took it to get a pair of keys programmed at the Ford dealer.
    After having done so, the car started right up and ran fine with no issues at all.
    It's down on power but I figured that was just from crappy gas and it sitting for forever with that stinky crap in the tank.

Since it was not road legal and the radiator was busted, I did not drive it.
    I backed it off the trailer and got it in the back yard and started the work to it's current status.
    Now I have a friend who wants the motor and transmission, but the engine has started running like absolute crap.
    I have found 3 of the 4 cylinders on the drivers side are not firing.
    I have tested the coils for the other 3 cylinders and even changed to a different plug just to see if it would start
    back up again, but the coils all tested fine and the plugs are firing off outside the cylinder.
    Bear in mind, I tested the other coils on the plug for the ONE coil on the drivers side that was firing.
    I have been through every fuse and they all are good.
    For some reason, this engine has decided that 5, and possibly 4 cylinders is enough for it to run on.
    Due tot he frustration of not being able to figure out the drivers side, i did not want to find anything wrong
    on the passenger side of the engine, so i did not go looking for any dead cylinders over there.

I even went so far as to change an injector to a brand new one that is supposed to fit my 97 f150 4.2 engine.
    When I pulled the plug out, it had gas on it, but only the lighest of hints of it.
    It was moist but not saturated.

The car sat for about 3 weeks without the battery hooked up and now I am trying to get it running for a guy
    who wants to buy the motor/trans out of it so he can see for himself it does move and go under its own power,
    and the trans shifts through all gears.

So what do I do here to resolve this issue?
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts, and I am willing to try them providing it doesnt cost me more money cause I am about broke at this time.
    If anyone knows of a hidden or different fuse block other than the one under the dash, and the one under the hood on the drivers side, let me know.
    I also know about the single self resetting circuit breaker on the passenger fender right in front of the shock tower.

2. Big_Ed

Current picture on top, and the beginning picture on the bottom

20140719_173350.jpg #ad

red mustang 6 15 2014 (3).jpg #ad

3. Big_Ed

FYI, the current plan is to remove the engine and transmission, and swap in a 6.0L with a pro fogger nitrous kit and a single turbo 76mm.
    Fogger will be installed with the 150HP pills and left at that setting for a while.
    I know I will have quite a bit of tuning to do to get the engine to really sing with the turbo kit, and it be reliable.

4. Bullzi91

have you checked power to the coils? sometimes the pcm drivers will malfunction and not fire the coils.

5. Big_Ed

I had planned to but with the heat and humidity, I gave up and called it a day. A friend of mine came over sunday evening to look at the engine and trans and he decided to buy them both, along with the complete exhaust. Which makes my removal task much simpler.

And not having to diagnose this issue even better. Hopefully he can get it all taken care of with his setup.

6. Bullzi91

I feel you, I'm in south Florida, I know of this humidity you talk about :orange:
    Wish you luck in the swap! LS is a damn good engine line.

7. Big_Ed

Yep. Looking to go 6.0 with a 76mm, maybe an 88. Since it will be drag car only, I have to watch what all I do. I am still up in the air over glide or turbo 400