1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1 prob.

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by MORA, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MORA

Vehicle: 1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1
    Problem: Stalling, all dash lights on, lights flicker, no brakes sometimes, Evap Codes, P1672 code (driver 4 side 2), ABS light on.

checked and ok:
    Alternator
    Battery
    brake master cyl, plus all hoses and hydraulics, no leaks.
    Scanned, got EVAP codes (checked for leaks, none found). P1672 code too.
    Checked grounds.

___

I never work on luminas or malibus or any other chevy shit, but this car belongs to my neighbor, who in his jackass mind wants me to fix it.

I need some help troubleshooting this car, since Im frustrated by it. Im sure its something simple, but Im just goddam pissed. Had my techs check the car out, but to no help.

If what you tell me fixes the car, Ill send you a bottle of Bacardi.

2. mkgearhead

P1672 is oil level lamp control circuit, not sure if I'd worry too much if the oil level is ok. Does this have aftermarket remote start? I've seen similar oil level sensor codes set on newer cars due to remote start.
    -Stalling, no power brakes I'd check The EGR valve make sure there's no carbon chunks stuck in the pintle, but it should set a code for that. EGR stuck open acts like a bad vacuum leak. If you have a bidirectional scan tool command EGR open and closed, make sure actual EGR position matches commanded.
    -Could be bad ground somewhere but I don't remember any common problems back then.
    -A bad PCM could do some of those things but again, that's not very common. Check the case, if it's corroded bad to the point case halves separate and let water in, it's no good.
    What codes are set for evap? What codes for ABS?

3. MORA

Hey, thanks for the help.

I fixed the damn car. I was just fucking pissed that day and couldnt get my mind into it.

It had a bad ground, bad alternator, and the EGR was MIA.

Anyways, I hate GM.

4. mkgearhead