1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1995 cobra will not start, can anyone give me some advice here?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ricky, Feb 23, 2004.

1. ricky

ok, i have allways fixed my problems, done my own mods.,etc..but this one is giving me some fits,and i could use some help..this is my daily driver..i have a 1995 cobra, r 331,tw,system max intake,t trim vortech,etc..i was coming home from the gym the other morning,and the heater core when out, since i did not have time to mess with it, i just plugged the hoses and figured i would wait until the weekend to fix it..got ready for work (4:00am),got in the car, and it would not start, it will spin over fine, 40 psi fp, but will not try to start at all, no pops,no nothing..first thing i thought was that the msd 6btm went out, bypassed it, still nothing, bummed a ride to work, got home, went and bought a new tfi module, still nothing, swapped the coil out with three others, still nothing, checked rotor,cap,etc..swapped out the msd dist with a factory one, still nothing..checked the coil w/ign on, both wires are hot, checked while cranking, both wires stay hot..but no fire from the coil..just for the heck of it, i stopped by o' reillys on the wayb to work today, and the old tfi module checked out fine,so i know that was not the problem..can anyone think what might cause this? i looked behind the intake where the heater hoses go in the firewall,in case i knocked a wire loose,etc..but there is nothing back there that i could have knocked around...i would appreciate any info,advice..thanks

2. v8440

I'd try this: Pull a sparkplug, leaving the plug wire on it. Lay it on a grounded metal surface, and have someone crank the motor. If you get spark, the motor probably isn't getting fuel. Since you said you have fuel pressure, I would presume that the injectors aren't getting a signal. Start troubleshooting for that, if there's no spark. Another thing to check is the crank sensor-at least on the GM stuff I've worked on, losing that will give no spark or fuel. I don't see why bypassing the heater core would cause any of this, but it's possible that its sheer coincidence that the car quit when you were working on the hoses.

3. Snipe656

You mentioned you tried another TFI module, have you tried a different distribiter?

4. ricky

hey there, i tried that method on the sparkplugs, no fire there, also tried it on the coil, no fire coming from there to the dist either, i know it's not the coil, but i can't figure out why it will not send a spark to the dist? i tried another dist also..also, checked all grounds, and used some cables for extra grounds,still nothing