1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1994 GT, supercharged over the winter. EFI tuning help.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by OneBadBird, Apr 30, 2007.

1. OneBadBird

My best friend has a 94 GT, 5.0 with a 5spd. he just put a 6psi Powerdyne blower on his car this winter. He's trying to tune it now. He's been told it's time for a computer upgrade - expected. It's running rich all the time but it still pulls like mad, it bucks a little at low rpm's while driving easy in 2nd gear. He's been told by one speed shop that his intake is no good for a blower and yet another shop said that it was ok...One guy say's his injectors are too big - the other say's they are just right....and so on....I figured you guys are the experts :bow: :rock2:, look at his combo and tell me what you think should be done to get his A/F right and squeeze all the potential ponie's from his combo.

Here's the combo:

1994 GT shortblock
    GT40X305 heads - 1.94/1.54 valves
    1.7 roller rockers
    B303 cam
    Edelbrock Performer 5.0 fuelie intake system
    70mm Pro-Products throttle body
    C&L 76mm mass air kit (ford racing)
    36LB injectors (ford racing)
    PowerDyne 6psi supercharger kit (boost ref regulator and etc)
    255LPH FRPP fuel pump
    Mallory Hifire ignition
    stock 94 GT computer
    9mm FRPP wires
    Mac long tubes and Mac 2.5" dual exhaust, 1-5/8 prim, 3" collectors
    3.73 gears, posi, Ford Racing HD clutch.

2. blownpony

His intake is fine, and 36 lb injectors are also fine, the size of the injector doesn't really matter if you can tune it. In order to supply it with enough fuel when it needs it and not run rich all the time under normal driving conditions, he will probably need some sort of tuning device. Other than that, he could try 38-39 lbs of fuel pressure and an FMU if he doesn't want to spend the money for a tuning device. I'm not a big fan of FMUs, but if you're on a budget, sometimes they are the only way to go. As far as running fat as a pig, it will eventually toast his plugs, as well as his 02 sensors, and make it hard for anybody behind him to see or breath. Make sure he's running the purple sample tube in that C&L and not the red one (it makes a difference for boosted applications). Also, C&L meters act stupid with forced induction if you don't tune them correctly, so a tuning interface, a wideband, and somebody that knows what they're doing would do him a lot of good.

3. OneBadBird

Thanks for the info. If he set's his fuel pressure to 40psi with the vacuum line off the regulator it works good, as soon as you hook the regulator line up it drops a bit and runs like crap. :huh:
    Got any suggestions for an FMU, tuning device or an affordable place to get " the right " new computer? I'm no EFI expert hence my post here....LOL...He has an air/fuel gauge in the car.

4. blownpony

When you hook the vacuum back up on the regulator, the pressure is supposed to drop a little, bump the throttle and you can see it come back up, especially if it is boost referenced. Air/fuel gauges aren't worth the space they take up, he needs a wideband so he can see an actual air/fuel reading like 13.5, 12.5, 11.0, etc. instead of just flashing lights. There are lots of tuning devices out there, he doesn't necessarily need a new computer. Anderson PMS is user friendly, but limited on tuning capabilities, Tweecer is nice but takes some learning to use, or he could go with a stand alone unit like megasquirt, accel dfi, big stuff 3, etc.
    I have an FMU laying around, it's a vortech unit, 10:1 I believe, PM me if he's interested in it and I'll give you a price.

5. OneBadBird

Email sent. :D....I agree with you, I think his setup is good he just needs to get it tuned.

6. blownpony

Let me know how it works out for him.

7. OneBadBird

His kit came with an FMU, he thought it was a regulator and didn't use it. We'll install it and go from there. :bang: