1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1993 Ranger... Project Sleepy

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by xdkylexd, Jan 13, 2014.

1. xdkylexd

I recently bought my grandfathers 1993 Ranger 2.3 5 speed after he wrecked it in the snow it was actually pretty clean before the wreck but not so much anymore anyway I bought it just to do a turbo 2.3 I want to leave it looking like complete dog doo to keep the sleeper appeal thus the name Project Sleepy.
    I purchased some SVO pistons of eBay and I am going to port and polish the head/intake. I have this turbo laying around it is a Garrett P/N 1825878C91 off a 7.3 powerstroke wondering if I could make any good numbers with this thing any info appreciated. I'm going to try to attach some pics of the Ranger and Turbo.

0113141644c.jpg #ad
    0113141601.jpg #ad
    0113141644b.jpg #ad
    0113141601b.jpg #ad

0113141644c.jpg #ad

0113141601.jpg #ad

0113141644b.jpg #ad

0113141601b.jpg #ad

2. 91turboterror

Cool project! Make sure you check that head real well they do crack. I don't know about 7.3 diesel turbos but I heard of people using hx35 on 2.3s what's your goal with this truck? Those puny 7.5 rears can't handle a lot of abuse. Could always get an 8.8 out of a ranger or explorer.

3. xdkylexd

Its getting an 8.8 explorer rear end as soon as it gets a little warmer I hate going to pullapart in the winter. Yeah Ive seen alot of people running HX35's which is what I may end up doing but I just had this old thing laying around so I thought if I could save some cash I would.
    I'm hoping for right around 350rwhp going to run a water/meth system as well as a front mount intercooler. Always wanted a turbo vehicle so I figure this is the perfect/cheap opportunity to do so being that Im only 200 deep into the truck as it sits and plan on using a Lightning 90mm MAF and injectors this most expensive part with be tuning I havent decided between TwEECer or PIMP Engine Management from Stinger Performance

4. 91turboterror

Your not gonna run Megasquirt? You could run speed density instead then. The explorers came with either 3.55s or 3.73s IIRC 3.55 would work better for turbo though.

5. xdkylexd

I haven't looked into MegaSquirt may check into it though never built a turbo vehicle always done naturally aspirated SBF's

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why I joined this forum hahah

6. mustang-junky

I thought that the PIMP system was based on megasquirts hardware?

Looks like a fun project. I always thought that a turbo 2.3 ranger would make a cool DD, but I couldn't find one around here that wasn't rotted out.

Jess

7. jfive

PIMP is a microsquirt with a few extras. There is a guy that can do a megasquirt with a ford wiring harness adapter for around 650 to 700. He does a base tune, and is pretty helpful. With Either of these you don't need a maf as you would use a map sensor. I have flanges to make a custom 2.3 manifold and can get stainless steel ones lazer cut too. I'd look at a hy35, he341, he351 and then a hx35. The others are better for boost lag. Find a guy that can do a big valve conversion, and get the manley 1.89 1.59 valves for your head. ebay intercoolers seam to work really well for people.

8. xdkylexd

Ok Ill be for sure using a Holset turbo I didnt mention it before but I have a powerstroke intercooler for the build.
    Will be running a HKS SSQ BOV, and a Tial 38mm wastegate. I haven't decided what to do for a mani yet Stinger Performance has a pretty nice center mount tubular header but it has a nice price as well. So if someone can build me one for less than 350 shipped Im all for it when the time comes haha. My father and I run a auto repair shop so Ill be doing pretty well everything myself exhaust tubing etc etc I know it sounds corny but I want to run a stack out of the bed. I'm building this thing completely for me. I want people to look at it and laugh.. Right before I blow their doors off.. Hope to have it completely done rolling down the road by May

9. jfive

Also, I'd sell the powerstroke intercooler, and get a cheap ebay one that will fit better. I know a guy that used a powerstroke one in a ranger and it was a lot of pain and not a lot of gain to do it.

10. 91turboterror

I gotta 2.3t sittin home waiting for a project. I can't remember what header is on it but it's rugged looking. The stinger one isn't a good choice though.

11. jfive

Its okay, but they tend to crack and have leaks down the road. They add some welds to it to try and make them better, but there the same as the cheap ass ones on ebay. I know of a cheap one that's been rewelded if you want one. If it a Daily driver I suggest the other guy.

12. xdkylexd

Cool thanks for the heads up on the header situation I assumed Stinger's was pretty decent Id rather pay a little more for better quality.. That guy builds nice headers.. I wish I could join turbo fords but they dont allow emails with free domains so Im SOL lol this will be my daily.. Im tired of my 90 hp Camry lol so why not build a 350rwhp ranger with the same mpgs?