1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1992 notch 5.3/4l80e

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ashford, Jun 16, 2015.

1. ashford

not really a build thread but a built thread. my lazy ass didnt take any pictures etc but a friend took a vid of its 2nd start. the car is a good friend of mine that been in my shop for 6 months, finally out and driving it

there is alot of custom parts in this car.
    i made a front drive setup using ford parts(trying to keep a ford a ford the best i can) ford 3g alt custom brackets, leftover tensioner from the coyote swap from my car, mod motor ps pump on a modified ls ac bracket, i milled a flat spot in it for a pair of 1" aluminum square stock that was drilled, tapped and squared off then welded in.

home-made fuel hat for a 99gt fuel tank with twin 340 pumps( a work of art really wish i would of taken pics)

the 4 cylinder mustang dosent use the same trans crossmenber the v6 and v8 uses nor the same mounting holes, i simply moved it backwards 3 inches( it has a simple bolt through the subframe) and reused it on the 4l80, and amazingly the stock shifter works with the trans as well with a simple linkage cut/reweld and using a powerglide shift arm.

air-water ic in the fender so the car has 2 radiators and 3 overflow tanks( one for each radiator as a expansion and one puke tank) the main engine one fills the block up through the heatercore inlet side so there is no burping this cooling system other than the air in the upper radiator hose/ or radiator. the main radiator has a 20psi cap and surge tank has a 14.

the turbo is a s475 a bit big for the engine/converter combo but i was thinking ahead here. i made a quickspool valve(essentially a 1 1/4 thick t6 flange) without adding the butterfly valve and if the car needs it it can easily be added with no mods to the rest of the setup.

the car runs a ms3 for the engine and a gpio for the trans communicating through the can communications, it actually works stupid nice other than the shiftkit in the trans it feels like driving an oem car.

the car is not complete just yet, it is just far enought along to be driving it.

a list of needs
    control arms for the rear end(adjustable upper is severely needed for the pinion angle)
    axle upgrades( stock gt rear end)
    sway bar for the rear
    torquebox reinforcing
    brake upgrade
    wire in the boost controller( ms3 communicates with trans controller and knows what gear it is in and can do boost by gear)
    better converter, still running stock unit
    sn95 spindles and rack drop bushings( have the spindles)
    safety equipment
    working speedo

vid of the thing running
    [video=youtube;VBbylsqZlVw][/video]