1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1990 Ranger 2wd/ 2.3t, 5spd swap

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by vader_turbo, Mar 5, 2008.

1. vader_turbo

Just picked this little guy up to replace the audi till its done in the shop, and decided to mess around with it. It seems everytime I get a new car it goes from transportation to modified and unreliable soon after.

The truck was purchased from Diznitz (Joe) on this board. Good guy and was very upfront about any problems ( of which there were very few.)

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105863.0

Plan--

A semi reliable fun 2.3 turbo truck

Now I need to find a cheap 87-88 5spd turbo coupe, mainly because the t5 in them is a hydraulic version and its almost a bolt in affair, other than re-pinning the ecu alittle to use the stock harness with an LA3 or equivilent.

The motor will receive a rebuild, studs, front mount I/C, boost controler, and full exhaust. The transmission will get a resurfaced f/w,

and spec stg2 clutch. The rear will be a newer ranger 8.8 limited slip ( which I've read is a bolt in afair) and maybe some

tractionbars, as the wheel hop is bad. I don't have plans to make this truck into a race car, because thats what the mustang is

for. After awhile I might megasquirt it.

First-----

First thing I did was swap the stock rims for one of the three sets of 2001 gt rims I had laying around. They look good as the

truck was allready lowered, and as soon as it stops raining I'll snap some pics. I'm sure this will be a long build, but it should be

fun. :2thumbs:

ps. If any of you guys have tips, I am new to the 2.3t engine and I would appreciate the help. So feel free to post whatever.

CIMG0566.jpg #ad

CIMG0567.jpg #ad

2. vader_turbo

Here it is with the new rims. The interior has been redone, striped and painted with POR-15. Hopefully the Oil press. and water temp gauges I ordered from jegs will get here

this week. I always hated the on/off, full/empty gauges that ford used, so I usually do that first even though the engine will be gone soon. I always like to know whats going

on at a glance. :chacha:

Hopefully I can find that tc I'm looking for, at the right price.

Picture 163s.JPG #ad

Picture 165s.JPG #ad

Picture 171s.JPG #ad