1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1989 Silverado Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by craig6.9diesel, Mar 5, 2011.

1. craig6.9diesel

I am in the process of parts collecting for my 89 c1500 build. The motor is a 280,000 mile 350 out of 91 Suburban with a set of World Product heads. Had to change them cause the old ones used a quart of oil every time I started it! I built a MS2 to run the fuel side of things. I have a Holley Stealth Ram and a 58 mm throttle body. . Also picked myself up a welder last weekend and have been welding random stuff just trying to practice! I was going to do a remote mount but I dont know for sure now Might do some backwards manifolds and mount it up front. Im going to upload some pictures of what I have so far.

2. nos10racer

3. craig6.9diesel

Re: 1989 Silverado

right now...

0131112203.jpg #ad

0201111920.jpg #ad

0227111822.jpg #ad

4. craig6.9diesel

and more

1011001606.jpg #ad

0305112031.jpg #ad

5. craig6.9diesel

I was going to post pics from my nice camera but they were to big so I had to take some quick ones with my phone to post... dont know why they get so big when you click on them...

6. nos10racer

sweeet lookin good...... why dont you freshen up that bottom end a lil ? you got a back up motor just in case ?

7. craig6.9diesel

I found a sweet deal on a fresh rebuilt tv7512, if that falls trough probably a gt45. This is a low buck build for sure! Im trying to get it done before my wife has our first kid! I figure after that time and money will be shorter then it already is!`

8. craig6.9diesel

Well I dont know for sure how many miles are on it. I got the truck as a rolling chassis from a buddy, he was going to but a big block in it but lost interest and sold it to me and said hey I got a Suburban of back thats going to the dump. The engine and trans both worked, so he gave them to me. The mileage is what the Suburban said on the odometer. I am going to pull the oil pan off to the oil return fitting in so I may stick some bearings in it... Not planning on anymore then 8lbs really anyway. At least at first...

9. craig6.9diesel

More pics, got a pic of my old trans am also, basically was the same setup minus the turbos. A lifter went bad and spoiled all the plans! :doh:

0305112056.jpg #ad

0305112053a.jpg #ad

Truck1.jpg #ad

l_f3715170cd8841c5a735fc1f34c70985.jpg #ad

10. nos10racer

cool keep posting up pics !

11. watahyahknow

nice truck , to bad you dont remotemount the turbo i like to see more of them
    i was planning on mounting a set behind the cab under the floor or in the bed with short stacks sticking up (would be simplest solution on the exaustside )

12. craig6.9diesel

I havent really decided what I am doing yet. As of right now I am waiting for my Megasquirt to get back from getting fixed. I jacked something up on it :doh:. I probably will remote mount it if I I get the tv7512 cause the down Pipe on those things are huge. The most reason I want to mount it p front is to save the money of a oil pump... I am not buying a cheap one of those, cause I have heard to many stories of them going bad..

13. mcnally351

Ive always wanted to do that same location, almost did it on my 5.9 Dakota, but sold the truck. Sorry to get off topic, looks like a cool built, will it stay stock looking sleeper or will you add wheels, suspension, etc?

14. craig6.9diesel

Its already got tubular lower control arms and poly bushings. Also its lowered 4inches in the front and has a axle flip and c-notch in the rear. I would like to do a 3 or 4 link with airbags but that is a future plan. I have already put 3.42 gears in it and rebuilt the entire rearend drum to drum, and the transmission is a freshly rebuilt Fairbanks unit. It runs pretty good as it is with a best ET at the track on 15.6 at like 87mph. Not bad for a 4300 lb truck! That was before put the new heads on and 1.6 rockers on it, it is noticably faster then it was. I am leaving the body stock, probably have it painted while I am in the big sand box next year. For now Im not touching the body. As for the wheels they are the 8.5 inch truck wheels so I can fit a big tire on them if I need to but I have 255s on it now cause they dont rub. I would love a set of 17 inch torque thrusts but also that is way out of budget for now. Also I will put a link on here to a very nice Dakota 5.2 4x4 with a rear mount. https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142537.msg1470860#msg1470860

15. watahyahknow

in my eyes rearmounting has it advantages , you can use standard aftermarket headers even can leave the flanges on the ends (that are aezily replaceable compared to turboheaders ) and built the wastegate on top of the bend to the turbo on the little piece of piping the turbopiping could be weded together on a workbench instead of under the hood (sts has ready amd welded universalkits for that ) and the rest of the exaust system could be made out of the rest of the standard exaust allready fitted if needed
    my guess the custom part is at most two 45 degree bends and a piece of straight tube per turbo.
    the piping back to the intake is a bit longer though i was thinking on routing it under the rockers going up between the footwell and inner fender or in the space between inner and outer fender and cross over the engine intoo the intake , the bends could be made of silicone hose the rest straight aluminium pipe with flanges on the end .
    another risk is that the oilline from the engine and back is long and kindah exposed making the chance for a juggulair bleedout a possibility and you need an oilpump for the return there are stand alone oilsystem that are used with success
    people say it must be slow on spooling ....... whel air isnt a fat midget trying to run from the turbo to the engine , the chargepipe is a little bigger in volume compared to the turbo mounted in the enginebay but the intake air and the underhood temperature is cooler and with the speed the turbo is pumping the pipe full of air the lag is basicly non existand

16. craig6.9diesel

I have been working out how I am going to rear mount a turbo. I think the biggest expense is going to be the oil pump, the blow off valve and the waste gate. I have heard to many stories of ebay stuff being junk. So I may try and find some nice used stuff, plus I still have to get some injectors. Probably order my cam as soon as I find out how much my repair bill is on my megasquirt is.

17. watahyahknow

i would suggest diving in the grenade stories the big block grenade story uses ebay turbo's and they had good results with them

18. craig6.9diesel

Thanks man I will see what I can find.

19. blown385

Subscribed . :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

20. craig6.9diesel

Thanks man you are my hero, us truck guys have to stick together! I hope my truck runs half as good as your... I will be happy as a clam!