1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, auto to manual swap.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Pro-SC, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Pro-SC

Well I have been looking at a really nice very low mile Turbo Coupe, the car is mint, very low miles but it is an auto car. I have not played much with these cars for a while. I had an 83 back in the day, have my 85 that I am building but I am looking for a nice daily that is decent on gas. The price of gas is getting so expensive and as much as I love my 96 f150 the 4.92 a us gallon really sucks.
    So looking for the parts needed is not as easy as you would think. Trying to find a nice T5 is not as cheap as it used to be. You can still get a new z spec T5 for about the same price as a rebuilt wc one. Only thing there is the 2.95 first gear and would need the input shaft changed. One other trans that I am interested in is the TKX, they are available with a 3.27 first gear but that level of trans is really not needed for this, at least now! Seeing as the 88 is an auto car it should have 3.73 gears, the stick cars had 3.55 gears with a 3.50 first. I always felt that first was to steep in these cars, wonder what that 2.95 with 3.73 would be like?
    The 87/88 cars also used a hydraulic clutch. For my 85 I have a complete maximum motorsports quadrant and cable, was thinking I could just use that instead of the hydraulic setup. Reason being is that I want to use that hydraulic slipper system on the 85. I was going to use a cable clutch tamer but later found out it is not good with forced induction. So I was thinking, use what I have and get a set of pedals from a fox mustang, I assume they are the same. As for power the auto cars are limited on boost ( 10 pounds I think? ) to keep that crappy little a4ld trans alive. So just a manual boost controller or a manual trans ecu? Nice street clutch?
    Just trying to figure out if this car I am looking at is worth it to convert or wait for a five speed car. This one was garaged it’s whole life and 14500k original miles, still original tires. What you guys think?

2. Russell

I guess how long do you want to wait for a nice T5 car? Consider price plus conversion cost. There was a form dedicated to these cars Don't know if it's still around or not. Just looked it looks like nato is still around. There is a classifieds spotting in California

I have a T5 that I think came out of a turbo coupe. I believe it has a 4.03 first gear?

3. Pro-SC

I know the early super coupes used a Mazda trans that had a first gear close to that, in around the 3.95 area then the 94 cars came with a first gear closer to a wc T5 3.35 first. The car is everything I am looking for minus the five speed. I will wait a bit longer but the car is in almost like new condition, he has dropped his price a bit but not quite enough for me to jump on it. To be honest I am certain the auto is what is holding up the sale of this car.

91turboterror likes this.
  4. 91turboterror

the car looks really nice. If you could find a decent V8 WC t5 (non z spec) the 3.35 first gear wouldn’t have much of a noticeable difference . The z spec may not be bad since it’s loading up the turbo sooner with having less gear. If you plan on turning up the wick it may be option.

5. Disney Lincoln

Oh My God.... That car is unreal! Price must be up in the stratosphere for you to not jump on it, automatic or not. I look at it and wonder... Can I get a converter made for that trans? How much power can I sent though it before I am forced into a M/T swap? Why am I talking about this instead of rushing over to buy it?

Pro-SC likes this.
  6. Pro-SC

I know the car is really sweet, the price is a bit high but nothing like what I seen others trying to get for similar. I guess I better buy it before you do!

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  7. 91turboterror

you might be able to upgrade the a4ld they did use them behind 4.0 v6s in explorers and rangers. I don’t think a manual conversion would devalue it either. If you do manual swap it keep all the automatic stuff for safe keeping if you sell it in the future for anyone converting it back to stock.

Pro-SC likes this.
  8. Disney Lincoln

The beauty of it is there are plenty of Manual cars out there that you can get the parts from to make it look 100% original.

Pro-SC likes this.