1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1987 Buick Regal- LS1/TH350 GT45 on Microsquirt build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Juiced5.3, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Juiced5.3

I'm new to the G-Body world, this is my first build. I picked up an 87 Regal limited with intentions on doing a turbo LS build. I've build quite a few turbo LS cars, and mainly LS cars in general are my forte. This gem had an ultra straight body, already in primer. Old 307/200r4 with just 112k on the clock. The car was 100% stock and intact (minus bumper fillers). The motor/transmission came out of my last project, which I completely swapped all OEM 98-02 fbody drivetrain into a 97 (LT1 body style) V6 RS car. Its a stock shortblock ls1 from a 98 camaro SS, I swapped out the 806 perimeter bolt heads in favor of some 853 casting center bolt heads, added a Brian tooley racing 224/230 on a 114 LSA cam and added all the supporting mods (springs, retainers, new lifters &trays, pushrods, gaskets) and added a set of the ebay head studs. On a 200 shot the car went 6.5@104. The car had all factory options, including AC that I changed over, only thing missing was the spare tire/jack which is where I had the bottle mounted. The Regal will mainly be a street cruiser until I can put a new rear end in the car, I will be running the stock 7.5" rear diff, mainly because everything will bolt right up to the new combo, at least to get it running and driving. My goal is to have a fun street car and do it on a budget, I've had great luck with inexpensive parts found on Ebay, and hopefully anyone out there who is thinking about the swap can see that you dont need to spend big money to have a quick car. I'll try to post parts pricing to give anyone a general idea on what was spent. anyways, onto the build!

Rundown of the parts I plan on running
    98 LS1 with mods listed above
    Victor Jr intake with elbow and stock TB
    80lbs injectors ($365)
    Moroso Solid SBC motor mounts($87)
    Ebay 1" setback plates ($34)
    Fbody oilpan and accessories
    Ebay up/fwd turbo headers ($229)
    Microsquirt 24x for engine management ($390)
    th350 trans with 3800 stall
    Ebay GT45 turbo (68mm) ($225)
    Ebay 46mm wastegate ($56)
    64-65 mustang 3" core double pass radiator with fan ($127)
    26x12x3 A2A intercooler ($117)
    2x Bosch 044 fuel pumps ($156 each plus $39 each for fitting kits)
    Jegs brand sumped fuel cell ($193)
    -8 fuel lines
    Aeromotive boost referenced regulator
    AEM tru boost boost controller
    AEM wideband

2. Juiced5.3

So this is what I started with

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. Juiced5.3

Next I removed the old 307/200r4 and the ac stuff (might do a vintage air or something homebrewed later) to free up some space. Rolled the car outside and cleaned the bay real good, welded on the SBC mounts, primed and painted it (rattle can) and made an AC block off plate.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. Juiced5.3

Got the motor and trans ready to install, tapped the pan for the oil return, added the oil feed adapter, and installed the setback plates and motor mounts, then we slid that sucker right in!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Next we test fit the headers, I'm probably going to get a jeep steering shaft to gain some clearance, vice denting the primary. The bolt holes need a little modifying as they dont exactly line up, but hey you get what you pay for, and $230 bucks was a steal for the headers.
    [​IMG]#ad

5. Juiced5.3

moving onto the fuel system, got the fuel cell mounted in the trunk, started making up the fuel lines. Only thing left to do now is to run the feed and return lines up through the chassis and put the ends on them. Still need to mount the pumps, but you'll see where they are getting mounted.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. Juiced5.3

I ended up modifying the core support to drop the radiator down about 2", it fit with the hood shut on the stock support, but i didnt like the way it stuck up, so i cut a portion of the core support out, and made a removable bottome section for it out of some 1x1 square tubing and 1/4"x1" flat bar stock
    [​IMG]#ad

I got the alternator mounted up, man the fbody accessories fit PERFECT in this car, the contour of the alternator follows the countour of the steering box exactly.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

for fun i mocked up the intercooler and turbo where they are going to sit in the front, I'm going to paint or powdercoat the cover black so you wont be able to see as much of it with the front installed.
    [​IMG]#ad

7. 92LX-5.8

Love builds like this, and that interior looks grandpa fresh!!

8. Juiced5.3

the interior is comfy as hell! I drove it an hour home, that plus the floaty suspesion felt like i was riding on a cloud! I dont plan on changing it either!

9. afterfire

I love builds on the cheap, probably because that's how my projects are. Love g-bodies too, got a 78 lemans wagon that's undergoing a frame off and then its getting a gt45/4.8/4l80e, I'm probably gonna leave the suspension stock on mine too.

10. Turbo-Box

Sweet build!

11. boostcreep81

You plan on different wheels?
    It would be funny to keep it all sleeper but I highly doubt those pizza cutters will hook lol

12. Juiced5.3

as much as I'd love to keep the stock wheels/hubcaps, but the 14x6 wheels aint gonna hack it. I'd like to find some GTA wheels, but everyone wants an arm and a leg for them.

13. TDmkr496

Sweet build!!!

14. Juiced5.3

Small update, got the fuel lines all done and put the fuel sysem together. All the accessories put on the engine, installed new intake seals, and got that on and tq'd down. Everything clears the headers, barely. I was also able to use the factory power steering feed line from the fbody PS pump, and the factory return from the Gbody PS pump, that was a relief. My next bump in the road is coil location, the front 2 cylinders' coil packs are so close to the header primaries, that the plugs would be touching them when installed, So coil relocation seems to be my only option with that.

15. SVO Jack

Love that intake! Sorry my eyes aren't as good as they once were but is it Eddy Victor?

16. Juiced5.3

yeah vic jr efi with matching elbow.

17. PaulF

Sweet build! I did an 86 Monte Carlo SS with a 5.3 and T70 and MS-II.

I love these old G-Bodies. Keep the pics coming!!!

18. 6772owner

I put Lamborghini doors on my Escalade with low pros so low it looks like I'm ridin on blades

19. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Reminds me of the old drunk driving the Caddy on that 80s movie License to Drive. Awsome sleeper no one will suspect it.

20. Juiced5.3

got my box from columbia river today and wasted no time getting the hotside done. The headers have 3" vbands, they transition to 2.5", merge into a 3" collector and then into the turbo. Downpipe is 4", straight no muffler. I still need to put the wastegate on there, but need to get the header panel and grill back on before I do that to make sure its not gonna hit anything. Dont bust on my welds too bad!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad