1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1986 Tuning Options

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by AWD4g63, Feb 15, 2008.

1. AWD4g63

As some of you know I will be starting my turbo project in the next few weeks.. I have been a lover of Mustangs since I could walk and have owned a few.. I'm also in love with DSM's and have owned ALOT! My 86 GT has been in the family since 87 and for the past 2 years has sat in the back yard leaking oil.

First plans are to get the car running perfect, fixing any leaks and doing a compression test. Once that is complete I will start to build manifolds... Onto the main reason I started this thread..

I'm no familiar with tuning of a Mustang. I know the 86 is speed density and I would like to keep it that way.. I'd like to know the names and places I can see whats out there for the car. I'd like the ability to monitor the engine parameters and also be able to control the fuel.. I'm hoping there is something similair to an SAFC that will allow me to make changes. Another thing that the DSM has that i'd like to see in a Mustang is a datalogger which will tell me anything from battery voltage to my fuel trims.

Thanks for the help in advance!
    Mike

2. xr8tt

If you can't do the fitting and tuneing yourself ? Then as usually suggested is find a tuner that you trust and use the tuner, ECU thats he's familiar with..Check throug here https://www.theturboforums.com/ECUarticle.php
    Most are in the price range of $1500 and up for reputable ecu's...
    M/s etc require alot of self assembly etc....

3. Turbo-Box

If you're gonna want to datalog and monitor engine parameters about your only choice is gonna be a stand-alone aftermarket system. You can go with an AEM and it's a direct replacement for your stock ECU and lets you do both.