1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1986 Caprice Coupe Twin Turbo DIY Build (update July 2008)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by FlyingSkull, Feb 9, 2007.

1. FlyingSkull

Hey, it's my first post. This board is amazing. :2thumbs:

Anyway here is my project, currently stalled as I had to move my car out of the family farm shop to make room for a couple 1 Ton P/U's.
    And on top we are in the middle of an Alberta winter.

383 Chev stroker
    All forged bottom end. H-beams, SRP -31 cc dish.
    World Sportsman II heads 64 CC, should come out to about 8.5-1 compression.
    ARP studded block
    Cam is a Crane Hyd roller.

Turbos are mix and match junkyard jewels. Turbines are coated .82's from early '80's Buick Riv.
    Compressors are (I think) from Buick carb drawthru, guessing early '80s. They are .60's.
    CHRA's are rebuilt. Turbos are kind of smallish, but a cheap way to get boosted.

All exhaust stuff is homebuilt, so here's hoping it works!
    40 mm gates
    Aeromotive pump and regulator

Bonnet is some crappy thing from Ebay. Don't even know if it will work.

Need to pick up some BOV's.

The carb is a Mighty Demon Blow through 750. Let's just say I have been reading over the threads here about these carbs with GREAT interest and some worry. I already have been unlucky with it as upon breaking in the motor N/A is started spurting fuel. Upon disassembly I discovered a myriad of aluminum filings from tiny to a chip the size of your pinky fingernail. We will see how this carb works out.

The drivetrain is a T-56 from a 96 Camaro. Centerforce billet flywheel and Dual friction. Rear is a 8.5 10bolt with 4.10's :angel: and Moser 30 splines. Auburn posi. Will be doing a C-clip eliminator install as well as getting a newer posi with less gear.

Hoping to have it going by April 2007.

Best wishes on all of your projects.

David

2. .347_stang

Re: 1986 Caprice Coupe Twin Turbo DIY Build

That is quite a bit of gear! but its definately a different sort of project.. Im diggin it! Hey I am curious... where did you pick up those turbo headers??

3. FlyingSkull

Hi, the headers are homemade. Started from Hooker 1 3/4 inch flanges and just used mandrel u-bends. They are coupled together with a 4 inch -> 2 inch piece of oilfield sect. 40 piping. The triangle flanges are just 3/8 plate. Then had them ceramic coated.

Yeah it used to be a N/A setup and the 4.10s worked sweet with the six speed. Will come back down to earth once running boost I am thinking 3.55~.

4. BlownShovel

Unique :2thumbs: and it looks to be coming along nicely. I definitely like the headers. Only negative comment would be on the gears that you already plan on swapping and potential turbulence problems with that carb bonnet.

Walt

5. FlyingSkull

Thanks Walt for the comments.

I will update as soon as I get it running and tuned.

Your car is incredible! :2thumbs:

That is quite the turbo you have there. My brother has one off of a Diesel tractor that looks to be close to a TV8101 in size.
    He is thinking about putting it in his 78 Suburban 454. He is a propane guy tho, so ... :huh:

6. .347_stang

Well I am sure that it will scoot. what kind of power are you shooting for?

and Im curious... where are you planning on mounting those intercoolers?

7. FlyingSkull

Both intercoolers will fit nicely in the nose behind the popout grill.
    In the car pics you can see where the grill installs, they will just be in there.

I would be happy with 550 RWT. I think it should be able to do that. It's not a maximum power effort. Just something to tool around with.

8. larouchedem

David,

Neat build! I'm doing something similar, using 80/81 Transam carb'd turbos.

Fwiw, afaik, those compressors look like fwd Riviera compressors. '83 or so, iirc, last year carb'd. I've read that they are a 60 trim T3 comp wheel, but I've never had a wheel to measure. Afaik, all the other carb'd 231 turbos had a .42 A/R on the comp.

Did you sand/grind/machine the flare hump on the turbine inlets flat for the flat flange? I did same on my turbos [4" grinder and 6" x 48 belt sander].

Not a bash in any way, but could you have used the stock wg setup? Also not a bash, but I agree on the bonnet. I would be afraid not to either run a CSU or EV pointed to front, with piping as needed, or, something like you have, except snouts on the side facing each other.

Dave

9. FlyingSkull

Thanks for the info Dave.

I'm not sure which hump you are talking about on the turbines. Do you have a pic?
    The only thing done to the turbines was to weld the stock waste gate hole shut.

The turbos didn't come with the stock wg's so I just went with the external ones.

Thanks for the heads up on the bonnet, I will look into that.

P.S are you on JYturbo?

P.S.2

I checked out your home page. You have some good build pics up there. Is that a Opel GT? Ha ha I had a chance to buy one of those a looong time ago.
    There was a neat little red one parked forever at the apartment complex I used to live. Then all of a sudden in showed up in a local bargain finder and was gone in a couple days.

10. larouchedem

David,

After thinking about it, I believe that I did have one of those 83? Riv turbos once, but it's been a while. The 301" Transam turbos, and all of the rwd carb'd 231s have inlet and outlet on the turbine housings setup for a normal exhaust manifold flare sort of a connection. Maybe yours had flat flanges. I can't remember.

You looked at my Fotki album, huh? Yes, that's an Opel GT. I hope to work on it after I get the truck project done. I had one as a kid, and have looked for many years for a decent one [they rust bad in salt here]. This one came from Nevada, and is rust free. Plans [right now, anyway] are for a turbo'd 2.3 Ford, stick shift gear box, and narrowed 12 bolt. I have a Chassisworks front clip, 4 link and plan on a full round or 2x3 frame and full cage.

Btw, the pics show a pair of E/E Rajays on my truck, but I changed to two of the 301 turbos. The internal 'gates made it much easier.

Dave

p.s. - yes, I'm on JYT. Same user name. I also look at Turbo [mostly 2.3 guys]. I used to look at Dick Dotson's turbo groups too, until he got too weird for me.

11. FlyingSkull

Sounds like that Opel will be one of a kind.

I knew you name was familiar. I am on JYturbo as well. Actually I signed up about a year ago to find a couple turbos for my project. Jimmie A hooked me up with the turbos in no time so I was pleased with that.

Right now we are in the middle of a Albertan winter, -20's C with windchill and snowing. So spring seems far off.
    But it is encouraging to have found this board with all the great projects.

Have a good one!
    David

12. larouchedem

David,

> Sounds like that Opel will be one of a kind.

If I live long enough LOL. Thanks.

> I knew you name was familiar. I am on JYturbo as well. Actually I signed up about a year ago to find a couple turbos for my project. Jimmie A hooked me up with the turbos in no time so I was pleased with that.

I sold the Riv turbo to someone on JYT. It may've been Jimmy.

> Right now we are in the middle of a Albertan winter, -20's C with windchill and snowing. So spring seems far off.

Damn. It's been single digits here [F]. I thought that was cold. I hate it.

> But it is encouraging to have found this board with all the great projects.

Yes, this is a wonderful board. Feel free to ping me off board anytime. Keep us updated on your chev.

Dave
    David

[/quote]

13. FlyingSkull

Got the intercoolers mounted and the piping in. Some changes need to be made just getting it ready for testing purposes.

14. BLWN1

Any leads on a cowl hood for a caprice?

15. FlyingSkull

16. FlyingSkull

Re: 1986 Caprice Coupe Twin Turbo DIY Build(Updated May 2007)

After recommendations by others I have gone to a new style carb hat. It is a Spectre model.
    Taking a while to get used to the look, I really like the old setup (first page pics) but would rather have functionality and less issues with turbulence that was foreseen from those more experienced with the previous design. Thanks for the recommendations.

Already made a change after taking this pic to the passenger side. Got rid of a few bends by going over top of the passenger turbo side pipe. I did not realize how much work the intake piping can be. Just when you think you are happy you see something that you could do better! Fun tho. Probably will go with the BOV on the driver side.

Still haven't had it out of the shop yet, too many little things. Completed the exhaust this weekend however. Dual 3 inch off the down pipes into Flowmaster Outlaws with about 5 feet of pipe after each "muffler". Sounds excellent! Very deep and healthy sounding without being obnoxious. Also playing with Innovative LM1 with RPM kit. Very cool! Will have more info up as I get going.
    Thanks again,

17. blimpy63

Re: 1986 Caprice Coupe Twin Turbo DIY Build (update May 2007)

i love them box chevys..........btw where'd u get that carb hat?

18. FlyingSkull

Ebay,
    do a seach for carb hat.

19. blimpy63

20. memphis

2 door B-Bodies rock! Especially the Caprice, it has that look about it. :2thumbs:
    That big girl should be able to haul ass real good.