1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1984 Mustang Gt Turbo: Adjusting boost

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by MarcellJ, Jan 3, 2010.

1. MarcellJ

Hi,
    I have 1984 Mustang GT Turbo that has been upgraded with a 1987-1988 Thunderbird turbo intercooler.
    Before installing the intercooler the turbo would spool fine and the "Turbo ON" light would come on when normally.
    After putting the intercooler, the "Turbo ON" light and spooling does'nt occur at the usual time. The turbo is working, but it spools slower.
    Do I need to adjust the boost?

I heard of a boost control valve/solenoid but don't know where it located.

Is there any other reason why the turbo spools slower. I still have a mustang GT hood and was thinking i need a hood that will allow air to blow in the intercooler. Would this help the turbo to spool faster?

Thanks any help is appreiciated.

2. mustang-junky

Without some air going through the intercooler, it will be doing more harm than good. You need to cut a hole in that hood and get some air blowing through that intercooler, or better yet add a front mount intercooler. Try a cheep E-bay cooler.

Jess