1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1980 MGB SBC turbo build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Red98422, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Red98422

So because I’m some kind of retarded I want more power out of my new to me toy which is a small block swapped MGB...which has been done in the most hacked together, booger welded, gas peddle sticking, boat fuel tank having way possible.

In light of that I went and bought the cheapest fwd headers, the cheapest internal waste gated t3 turbos and plan to see what happens. Should be a riot!

been kinda stuck on the fueling and spark situation...I’ll try to find a Holley and attempt the hangar 18 mods, but people are kinda asking decent money for even a busted 4150.

I want to try to keep the spark on the cheap side if possible, but that may not be possible.

4414C9F3-FFD1-4C47-9EAF-459B7655DD00.jpeg #ad

08610C99-99D4-4926-AD74-2B01DFA53A5F.jpeg #ad

6CDA7934-B134-4FC7-B174-AEF001E78209.jpeg #ad

2. Disney Lincoln

Watch ebay for cheap 4150 carbs.
    A locked HEI will spark it up.

3. Red98422

It’s currently setup with a GM HEI. If I lock it out would I just dial back the timing on initial set like old school nitrous?

4. Mnlx

Lock it out, and set it for max timing in boost. I would keep the vacuum advance though, it'll make it cruise much nicer.

B E N and Red98422 like this.
  5. Red98422

Well, I’ve got tons of parts on the way currently. Still wondering what I should do for fuel, I’m leaning towards the Walbro 225 inline. Cheap enough online and easy to source.

Any other suggestions for me? Trying to keep it on the cheap side if possible but don’t want busted junk either....as I’m sure we all do lol

6. Red98422

Yay parts!!!

6CBBAB8E-0E1F-4A8F-8DFE-AF3C5DE00F88.jpeg #ad

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  7. 62CometTurbo

TURBONE! Guess that could be the cars name. I don't name my cars. Looks like fun.

8. Red98422

it was a blast NA, I can’t wait for the rest of my turbo parts to come in.

I am now in a dilemma however. the trans that’s in it is what appears to be a bone stock forward pattern th350, and the fluid looks like strawberry milkshake, and the PO never plugged off the kickdown cable correctly, which is a joy to discover in you bosses parking lot hahaha

that said I have a tricked out th400 with a brake, reverse pattern, Scatter shield, rollerized, with a 2500 stall anti balloon etc. normally this is a nobrainer, but I have near enough almost no room with the 350 that’s in it.

I may end up running the th350 till it pukes then figure out how much chopping I have to do for the th400...not sure yet

9. B E N

Turbone sums it up pretty well, they just lubelessly boned Turbonetics for the design.

Red98422 likes this.
  10. Red98422

Hahaha. That’s funny! I had assumed it was some China copy or another at $95 each.

One day if my setup ever gets serious I’ll end up going brand name.

11. B E N

That's what they do, just grab expired patents (sometimes not expired) make castings off of the already made parts and go to town. When you don't have to R&D a part, don't worry about the environment, don't have QC and you pay children to make the turbos you can sell them for $95.

Don't necessarily agree with the ethics, but I have bought clones of things before, capatilizm in action.

12. Red98422

unfortunately I do understand how it works, I should have specified that I didn’t realize it was a turbonetics copy.

As much as I would love brand it’s a tough sell When your just getting your combo figured out and the price difference being what it is. Like I said if the combo gets serious, or I start dumping money into the engine it’ll get a much nicer turbo set.

13. B E N

Its smart consumerism. Who is going to drop several thousand on turbos they aren't sure about when they can get a china clone thats 90% as good for 10% of the cost?

They have proven to work time and time again, there are some big advocates for it on this forum. I try not to get involved, occasionally I forget to hold my tongue. I did not mean to make you feel guilty or attacked.

Red98422 likes this.
  14. Red98422

No worries there, I’ve got pretty thick skin and you haven’t lied once.

It is a bit of a mixed bag for me honestly, I understand all the demerits of it....but damnit I want to go fast right now not next year, but that means I end up supporting China manufacturing....it’s definitely something each person needs to come to terms with individually which ever side they end up going to.

15. Red98422

Well, decided on a dry fit of my forward headers....and shocker, everything will be hitting everything else.

Inner fender well needs just a bit of massage with the BFH, otherwise it’ll bolt up just fine....the core support, fender, headlights and the rad however are right in the way.

On the plus side my brake master is no longer danger close so there is that!

ADAEBFE6-28E4-439F-A11F-3100899D3743.jpeg #ad

16. B E N

With as much stuff as is in the way it would be worth considering other header options. Small block chevy has a whole bunch of choices! If your not planning to run a hood a set of rams horns might fit real easy.

Red98422 likes this.
  17. BlackCoffin

I agree with BEN, I had to ship a few manifolds back before deciding on the factory LS manifolds. With your situation I would incision it being a similar story. The manifold can make or break the rest of the build for fitment so take the time and find the right one!

18. BlackCoffin

Could modify a set as well, like yours now if you could cut some runner length out of it and whatnot.

19. Red98422

The ram horns look like they’ll fit really well, I’m not going to be able to return these as they want to charge me shipping to return them, not worth it IMO. I’ll probably save them for a different build or try to trade them off for something else.

B E N likes this.
  20. flyinhillbilly

My truck has a China turbo on it, and I’ve lost count of the thousands of miles it’s got on it.
    It also has a locked HEI with functional vacuum advanced as stated above. I use a boost referenced mechanical fuel pump on it too. It’s basically the cheapest and simplest of everything and it was my daily and only transportation for years like that.

B E N and Red98422 like this.