1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1980 Fairmont Wagon Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1BAD6T6, Mar 31, 2016.

1. 1BAD6T6

Been a while since I've had anything worth posting here. I believe the last thing I posted was going from a Fox convertible to a Coupe with a 351w, AOD and an 80mm. Well, with kids, new job, new house and life in general, I took some time off. My last trip to the track was with BrianJ5600, 4 years ago. shortly after I got the LS bug, started the swap and hadn't fully recovered. Now that everything has settled and travel sports have all but stopped for now, I can get back to it.

I had been watching this car for about a year. It sat out on front of a house I passed by every day. It never moved. I finally got a hold of the owner and now it's mine. A pretty mint 1980 Fairmont Wagon. My 8 year old son fell in love with it from the word go and has been helping to the extent an 8 year old can.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Plans for this guy are nothing new; sbe 5.3, th400, MS3, PT88. I'm taking everything out of this guy and throwing it in the wagon.
    [​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. 1BAD6T6

We pulled the 3.3/C3 combo and sold the 3.3 for almost what I paid for the car which made the boss lady happy.

[​IMG]#ad

The car, overall, is in pretty good shape. Very little rust to be found. I just needed a wash.

[​IMG]#ad

Team Z k-member and Flaming River rack [​IMG]#ad

UPR 12" coils with Strange SAs.
    [​IMG]#ad

Took the ratty carpet original carpet out to install some 2x2 SFCs. Kinda regret tossing the carpet because apparently Vaquero is a rare color no one makes anymore. :bang:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Bought some FR500s for the sn95 and thought I'd try em on the wagon. Surprisingly, the 18x10s on the rear and 18x9 on the front fit without issues.
    [​IMG]#ad

3. 1BAD6T6

Got the fuel system in. Same dual walbro 255s, -10 feed split to -8 at the rails and -6 for the return. I sumped the stock tank. Definitely not my best welding job but the tank held water for 24hrs without leaking.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Found the fresh, unused 1980 Michelin spare tire with all hardware under the rear carpet. Even has the mold line from processing.
    [​IMG]#ad

4. 1BAD6T6

Got the motor in, fuel lines hooked up and hotside mounted. Test fit the 3.5" downpipe. Everything is fitting together just like it did in the coupe.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. 1BAD6T6

Got the 3" coldside fabbed up and installed. Was my first time using a TIG welder. I wanted to keep the inner fenders mostly intact. So I didn't go to chopping tons of material.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I ran out of aluminum tubing so I had to use a piece of aluminized steel to wrap it up.
    [​IMG]#ad

6. flyinhillbilly

Way cool. In for this one.

7. Hemann

Pretty cool build.

What happened to the Mustang?

8. 1BAD6T6

I still have it. It's mainly a shell with an interior, 10pt cage and chassis work like through floor SFC and battle boxes. I am putting the wagon's suspension under it so I can at least roll it around. My thought is to sell it, but I've since built a decent size garage and can afford to space. If I decide to keep it the first thing I'm going to do is take the halo out. Even with a swing out door bar it's a serious pita to get in and out of.

9. MarkFJ40

That wagon is so sweet.

10. blk2door

Hey sweet wagon, if you don't mind which exhaust manifold did you use?

11. ss496

LOVE IT

12. 1BAD6T6

Thanks, guys.

I used the stock truck manifolds. The motor is an '04.

I cut the stock flanges off, measured the opening (2.5") and ordered a 2.5"-2.0" reducer and 2.25" v-bands. I cut the reducers in half making one side of it 2.5 - 2.25" and the other 2.25" - 2". I'm running 2" hotside. If I decide to up it to 2.25", the manifolds won't need any work. Simply buy 1 2.25" v-band and use the halves to complete the existing v-bands on the manifolds. Kind of plan ahead for no real reason. The 2" hotside should be more than I'll need.

13. blk2door

Thanks and I wondered about the 2" hot side should spool very fast.

14. 1BAD6T6

I'm hoping.

Filled her with a few gallons of e85 and gave the key a turn. Pumps primed as they should. Then fuel started pouring from the top of the motor. Seems the plug in the middle of these eBay rails likes to back out. I tightened it down and primed it again. Holds 40psi like a champ. No leaks of any kind.

I tried to start it for the heck of it and got nothing. I figured it should have at least coughed or something since I'm using the exact same setup that ran in the coupe just a few short months ago. Turns out I screwed up with my relay wiring and what I thought was a 12v switched AND start was not. So I had no coils or injectors in keyed start. Got that fixed and gave it another go. Still nothing. I'm going to rebuild the tune going through the "pre start" checklist to make sure my injectors, coils and sensors are operating as they should be. I hope to have a running wagon this weekend.

15. Joeyman

cool build. subscribed

16. 1BAD6T6

17. Bergy75

Awesome wagon. Used to think they were fugly, but they have really grown on me recently.

18. De-Marko

Cool Build! The Fr500's look great on there! :encouragement:

19. mopar_man

Cool build. I bet your 8 year old is enjoying helping as much as they can. Mine girl is three and she love to "help" when I'm out in the garage wrenching.

20. Box 2

very cool! btw so far the turbo kit is holding up!