1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1979 chevy C10. 5.3 turbo 4l80

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by fastspec2, Aug 16, 2018.

1. fastspec2

This is my 79 c10.
    5.3, gen iv rods and pistons
    24x carank balanced for the rods and pistons
    l33 head gaskets
    studs
    .585 cam
    ctsv oil pan
    melling pump
    ls7 lifters
    procomp manifold
    102mm T.B.
    60# injectors
    DOD water pump
    ls9 map
    78mm billet turbo
    cheapy bov and gate
    Microsquirt management for the engine and trans
    4l80e trans
    HD2 kit
    too tight of a convertor, lol
    And a whole bunch of other shit. I put it together around feb of this year over two-ish weeks and its been my daily driver since. Its been super %100 percent reliable and alot of fun to drive. I originally had the gate sprung for 14 PSI but needed the spring for my Camaro project so it got a 4 pound spring and the gate plumbed top and bottom to double the spring. So it makes around 9 PSI currently which just keeps the tires alive longer at this point.
    When I got the truck it was a 350/350 that got single digit economy and generaly leaked, sucked, and was slow. Now its pretty great. The convertor is too tight still but other then that its about as good as I could have hoped for.

I still need to run the temp sender for the gauge, nut up and sort a speedo, and figure out if plumbing the left tank is worth the effort.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. fastspec2

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. Traction Issuez

I'm just days away from changing the combo in my mustang to just like yours short of having a 6.0, LS2 intake and cast 78/75. Otherwise it's all pretty much identical. Looking great.

4. fastspec2

I ended up selling this thing to a buddy. I think he wants to lean on it harder so the plan is a set of real pistons I think.
    It is prett great to still have it in the family so to speak. Sure is a great combination for a daily driver and generally fun rig. I have to say I'm pretty consistently amazed at the reliability and general usefulness of this combination of parts.
    Did you ever get you ls2 running?

5. Traction Issuez

REALLY close, I bought a kit that was supposed to just fit without cutting and I've had to cut every single piece but I just might be able to get it started again this weekend.