1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1974 Dodge Dart Sport 360 Single Turbo

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Prine, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Prine

Hi....I am a Lurker, my Name is Kelly Prine and I have been browsing theturboforums for a LONG time.....2000' ish to be more specific.

In the last 18 years, I have owned over 17 different vehicles, and enjoyed owning my 1st 74 Duster, the 73 Dart Sport, the 69 Dart Swinger, the 72 Challenger, the 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD, 1998 Eclipse GSX
    THE MOST.

I have had numerous trucks, and other cars....but these stick out in my mind as the most Enjoyed.

The 2 things I liked about the subject cars I enjoyed most were:

The Torque, and the Functionality of each one.....the Power and Acceleration, the sound....the ample/lack there of, cargo space, and the interior layout.

Each subject vehicle not a Ford Pinto, or Chevy Vega, or Camaro, or Mustang, or Honda Civic....was something Engineered to be durable, and last awhile...while being "sporty" and economical.

Over the years I started missing the simplicity of when I tinkered with my Old Cars...and began admiring the technology in the New Age 2 door cars...

I was daily driving the 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, and on the upgrade path from 205hp Stock to over 400whp on a essentially stock 2.0L 4cyl, but deep down really just missing the visceral feeling and sound of the way a V8 pulled through the RPM band....but devinely hooked on Boost, the science of, and intently, the essentials of what boost on an internal combustion engine, requires.

So....while talking Turbochargers and Potential Power, in 2008 with my good Late friend, Wes Hess.....we hypothesized a Single Turbo setup on a
    1970 Dart Swinger 318/904/8.75 that I had in my garage at that time.....and a few weeks later he died in a horrible car accident.

But right then....while we were talking about the placement of the turbo, the wastegate location, the post-turbo exhuast system, the Boost Friendly Ignition, all made perfectly clear Sense....and I made a Pledge, after he passed away, and I saw him layed to rest....that I was going to do this.

So, in Memory of my Good Friend, Wes Hess....gone 12/23/08

TODAY,. I am pleased to announce the Beginning of:

My 1974 Dodge Dart Sport 360, Single Turbo Setup.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Prine

3. Prine

*1989 Roller Cam LA - 360 - rebuilt....but reused, stock cam, lifters, pistons, crank, SB windage tray, 308 heads...........*904 Transmission, fresh rebuild, stock TC............*Turbocharger is: Ebay GT45- T4 - 68mm compressor, 85mm turbine.........Goal : 500+whp on pump gas,...... daily driver driveability, and reliability, using the MOST OEM Stock components possible........*BLOW THROUGH*............The next upgrade after the turbo system will either be a GearVendors OD.....OR....(if the 7.25 diff gives up upon Turbo Torque)....a 67' B-body Rear Differential I have for it.

4. rdakota340

Welcome aboard Prine and 7.25 will give up pretty quick you shouldn't have any problems reaching that goal. Good Luck

5. Prine

Thanks!! I have reviewed your builds and posts, many times!,...I love this website.....some very knowledgeable people here, I am glad to be a part of this, So heres a couple more pics...

The Dart Sport from the side
    [​IMG]#ad

The 360 in Daily Driver NA Trim
    [​IMG]#ad

The GT45
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. Jo Diesel

Move your battery to trunk, alt to other side and WALAH! Room for turbo. Turbo drain goes in fuel pump hole :corn:

7. 1969CHECYCHEVELLE

Awesome bro. Been lurking on here about as long as well. Need a build from scratch like this to give me some motivation to get my chevelle project going again.....

8. Prine

Thanks for the comments.....I tinkered with it today!! Been pondering all the details for years...today I got my hands dirty and it felt good to be going in this direction....Pics later, I promise.

Actually,...I am going to do one better (IMHO) and keep all the factory accessories in their original location, AND KEEP the AC System!!! :bow:.....and Plumb AROUND/THROUGH all the obstacles....Passenger side Turbo Mount.

Watch and see.......:popcorn:

Thanks again..........

9. Prine

Like I said....yesterday I had some time to mess around, and begin the procedure......luckily, I have a mockup A-body with a V8 that I do not have to depend on driving everyday while the progress happens.Here is where I began.......[​IMG]#ad
    Common Sight to Mopar Guys....Here is the Passenger side....no manifold[​IMG]#ad
    The Drivers Side[​IMG]#ad
    To keep the OEM accessories intact/in place.......I chose to cut out a section of my passenger side inner fender...and later after the mockup and fitment will patch a piece of sheetmetal back in to cover the turbocharger from the inner fender splash/muck.[​IMG][​IMG]#ad
    I am going to use a 73' Date Coded 340/360 drivers side exhaust manifold.....because it fits, and seals...and is already shaped to give me NO Steering Shaft interference.....[​IMG]#ad
    and a Drivers Side MAGNUM SB Exhuast manifold on the PASSENGER side for the more Forward Exit....[​IMG]#ad
    and run a Cross Pipe underneath the oilpan and up to the passenger side manifold where it will Merge into the 2 1/2" - 3" T4 Flange......[​IMG]#ad
    So....while working I disassembled the turbo...and sure enough there was a 1/4" piece of casting flash right at the squeeze of the Scroll....[​IMG]#ad
    chipped it out and lightly filed the left schard-tang.....the rest of the interior of the exhaust housing looked great.Turbo will sit 2.5" lower/1" toward fender....but here is the general idea....[​IMG]#ad
    all in all....a good day!

10. TTF/Ken Staff Member

What a great tribute to the memory of your friend! :thumbsup:

11. Prine

lol........I dont know what I did to the Format....but that sure is a jumbled up mess.
    :ambivalence:

12. Jo Diesel

I love the fact that you are trying to keep it OEM as possible. Just thought it would free up space if you moved alt to other side

13. 70wayfarer

14. AirForceRacer

Great build!!! Ill deff be watching this as I will be adding a turbo to my 74 Duster. Ill be very interested to see how you keep the stock power steering as I want to keep mine also.
    How are you going to do your fuel set up?
    Also what wheels are those on the car?

Keep it up!!!

15. Prine

Well...sold the Mock Up car......been sidelined for a few minutes. Stay tuned.....next chapter is coming.

16. M&M Turbochargers

17. HOTMOPR

Don't be fooled by this Prine guy. Hes trying hard to act like a newbie. that's all..

18. rdakota340

LOL yea!

19. naturalextraction

Here wishing you the best on your build. Those numbers will be easy to obtain for sure. I too moved my alternator over and placed my turbo where you planing. Had to make a small cut as well and ran the crossing exhaust behind the pan then eventually in front above crossmember. This in a 71 duster 318/360 heads. Also initially did a blowthrough and found the Eddie carb much easier and more reliable to set up than Holly. Although a friend used successfully a Thermoquad.yuck.
    keep up the good work....what a cool project...you will have made your buddy proud!

20. 70wayfarer

:encouragement:go for it Prine. I too am new to the turbo seen and you will be hard pressed to find better advice than you will find here.
    my build is also 360 single s475. just ironing out some teething issues at the mo, but the few road tests I have done to date have been jaw dropping.
    think about doing the turbo drain to the oil pan. I did mine to the timing cover where the fuel pump was and found the oil was not getting away fast enough. have put a -12 line straight down to pan. all good now.