1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1972 nova big block 106mm first attempt at building headers

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Jess, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Jess

Well I had started a build thread a few years ago and then life kids and school took over. Well I found some time and money to build the hotside and headers.

This is my first attempt at building a set of headers. The welds could be cleaner, but overall I am pleased so far

turbo headers resize 001.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 002.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 003.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 004.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 006.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 007.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 008.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 009.jpg #ad

2. TTAWD

Attempt hell, you almost got one side done!!!
    Looking damn good for your first set. :2thumbs: :cheers:

3. Jess

Hey thanks man! I just fixed a broken liner in my welder and figured I need the practice :D

4. watahyahknow

practice away , nice job sofar

5. quik67

Looks great !
    When I built my set I had problems with the coating that comes
    on the tubing. I used lacquer thinner and a wire wheel on my grinder to get the weld joints clean
    down to the base metal . I also pre-heated my tubing with a small torch, not red hot, just a little heat, this will also help with cold starts
    on your wire.

6. Jess

Thanks for the tip. I welded a few coupons before starting the headers, but since this is my first set I think maybe I had a small case of the nerves and lost sight of the butt joint in a few places. Then had to go back and reweld making some of the welds kinda ugly

7. Jess

Finished the last tube. Now I have to fill in the gap between the primary tubes inside the collector and weld the collector on

turbo headers resize 010.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 011.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 012.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 013.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 014.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 015.jpg #ad

8. quik67

The header looks killer !
    Header building is kinda fun.

9. Jess

Yeah I have enjoyed this. Hot Rod fabrication is fun all around

10. watahyahknow

i have the will but not the fabricationskills i tried welding stainless a while back and i still hurt thinking about the sunburn it gave my face , used to tack stuff looking away with my eyes closed , thats sumting you dont want to do with stainless aspecially more than once , it hurted to even blink ..... or flinch

11. rustorbust

Those look awesome! Was that a weld up kit you bought or individual bends and flanges?

12. Jess

I just bought 2.00" J-bends from summit with a 3.00" bend radius (8 total but I think I will need 2 more for the driver side). I got the flanges from stainless headers and the formed collectors (2.00" primary to 3.00" collector) from SPD and got to work. All mild steel. Oh and the V-bands and flanges are dynatech, though it seems there are better interlocking ones out there. Oh well live and learn

Ouch...

13. denmah

headers look good!!

14. Jess

Passenger side done

turbo headers resize 017.jpg #ad

turbo headers resize 016.jpg #ad

15. MONTEGOD7SS

Surely you aren't going to be using those heads with a 106mm, so make sure you take into account any port relocation of the heads you will be using. Don't want to build such a nice set only to find out an exhaust port relocation made them hit something.

16. Jess

Yeah I thought about that. Most aftermarket heads have an exhaust port about .400" higher so I left room for that. I'm not going to build the crossover until I can afford a set of heads either. Thanks for the input. All criticism is welcome :cheers:

17. turbo_72nova

looks good man. You sure this is the first set youve ever built?

18. Jess

Yeah I just put the collector where I wanted it and connected the dots

19. turbo_72nova

well they look really good man. any plans for you to do the chassis work like the cage or sub-frame connectors?

20. Jess

Thanks. I am going to do the cage but I need to buy a tig welder first. I want to use chromoly the first time. I am also narrowing and building the Dana 60. I'll post pics of that as the build progresses