1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 Nova LS Turbo.... A to B car!!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Leadfoot1, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Leadfoot1

Hey guys,

relatively new on here and new to Turbo's too. I was an n/a BB guy for the previous part of my life and i put together a few LS in First Gen Camaro's over the last years too. But now, i'm like everyone and seeing those SBE turbo set ups and deff want in!!! I tought i would drop all these project cars at once in March when i sold my 3 '69 Camaro's and bought a new 2015 1LE w/Z/28 aero kit.... well... that lasted about a month... at first you could not look at the car or if there was a cloud in sight the car wouldnt leave the garage. This morning, i brought back some metal in the Camaro for the Nova!!

Heres the Camaro... lol!!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Yep, i picked up the Nova about 6 hours from me about 2 months ago with the intent of making it a street "looking" car but one that i wouldnt compromise on performance for street manners (had it with these builds!!). So, i had a good condition stock 350 that i traded a buddy straight across for an 2013 all alum 5.3 LS that has ultra low miles (15k). So thats where the party started.

the Nova is super solid and only had one crappy repaint (in a reddish colour) over the original blue, thats showing here and there all over the car. The only rust was in the pans and i put some pans in it. I did a nice job (hey, if i say so myself!!) and made my cuts where the crossmembers are so it doesnt show from under the car that it had floorwork! It almost looks new!! Its not cause its a race car that it needs to be done crudely....

With that way of thinking, i did the firewall and welded and filled the top joint. I shaved it and painted the whole thing and the complete underside in ceramic reinforced semi gloss black. I also did the subframe, which, surprisingly for cars here in Montreal area, didnt need any work on the mounts!!

since i sold my 3 Camaro's, i had a little bit of money i could spend and lnowing that dissapears when you get to have a bit in front of you, i ordered and bought a lot of stuff right off to make sure i would not wake up one morning with a poney 3 cats and a new ring for the wife instead of the car on the ground....

ive managed to do a good amount of work in the month and a half ive been working on it....

if you guy's are anything like me... you like pics!! So i'll post a few to bring you up to speed.

beeing new here, if i do something thats not within the lines of the site and or if you have any comments (opened to good or bad!!) please just let me know!!

So, without any other bla bla..... (you'll see, im good with a keyboard and sometimes can go, on... and on.... and on!! Lol!!! My feminine side i guess!!)

here is the car a few days after i bought it,

[​IMG]#ad

i sometimes have problems with photo bucket when changing pages to get the pictures and end up coming to my site page where im posting and my text has dissapeared when i come to post the pics i just copied so i sometimes split my "work" when i type to not lose all of it... ill do that here and close my first post with this picture.

ill post right back a few more to keep you up to where i am with this beast in the building!!

Name's Mario btw, and i look forward to exchanging with you all and learning as i go!!

Hope you like the project!!!

Lead.

2. Leadfoot1

Well, here we are, 2 minutes later!! Hope you didnt miss me too much lol!!! See, i already had to fix a picture link....

it looks ok now.

so, here are a few more of the car after i started tearing it apart and took it to blasting then back home for some epoxy primer all over where it was blasted.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

...dont know why, its giving me a hard time when im linking pics, i have to re input them a few times for the link to work.... oh well, it worked now. Ill try another post!

3. Leadfoot1

As you can see, the car spisnt so bad. It looks worst than it is!! But it was a good deal!!!

I tore it apart and wanting tonget it blasted (i hate working on greasy and dirty stuff...well, i hatte putting them back together dirty and greasy i should say as my wife always say, "i dont get what you like working on these old dirty cars!" Lol!! So i guess i do enjoy it... but its the rebuild that i like clean!!

so, i decided to clean the firewall up a bit, the look of the car is going to be the same for the exterior. I only need to patch up the bottom of the front fenders (i started one) but the paint will stay as is as even the 1/4 panels are super solid and i want to concentrate on the POWER!!!

heres more;

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Dont know why, it changes the link and doesnt post the pic, then i try and try again a few times and it then copies it correctly, i see the page flickering on Pbucket so maybe there s bug or somtin.... anyway, it just takes a bit more time but seems to be working still...

Lead.

4. Leadfoot1

Ok, so the page seems to want to fight but indecided i was posting these today!!! Been lurking and wondering on whick site to post (im a Bullet guy... lol!!!) but since this is gonna be Turbo!!! I decided it was the place that made the most sense.... :encouragement:

want to see more...? I got it!!

This is when i decided id save some time and get the car sandblasted;

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The black bits at the bottom of the most lower inner 1/4 panel are bits of body sealer... not holes!!!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

There were no surprises when back!!!

:)

5. Leadfoot1

It was about this point when parts started to get in!!!

I decided i needed a bit of equipment to start this off right, so i got a new welding hood!
    i think i paid 25 bucks on ebay!! Decided to give it a try and LOVE it!!

[​IMG]#ad

I also needed some argon for my newly put in service TIG (its an Eastwood unit my wife bought me together with the plasma cutter) so new bottle and some welding rods,
    [​IMG]#ad

I had a project with a Competition Engineering roll cage and it had a great fit and ease of install so i decided to try it again,
    [​IMG]#ad

And since im going to add a few tubes... i always wanted to simplify my life and got this little baby. Yet to try it but we are almost there hehehe!!
    [​IMG]#ad

The tailpanel on the car was hit at some point in its life (car hadnt been tagged since 91 when i got it!!!) so im going to replace or repair it, ill see when i get yhere but have what i need to take care of it!!
    [​IMG]#ad

After that, its performance and cool parts for the build....

6. Leadfoot1

I am about ready to put the subframe back on the car this week end. I hava a lot of cool parts to get it rolling again! This is gonna be fun.... music, a coke, and some new in box parts to install!!! What can i ask for more!??! Oh right.... i have 3 girls, 8, 12 and 14. The Middle one, Alexia, is my car nut. The minute i grab the Camaro keys,,,,,, she hears them from her room on the second floor and i hear her scream "WHERE ARE YOU GOING!!??? CAN I COME!!??" Lol!!!! Aqnd shes always the one pushing me to go to the TnT's on Friday nights and races on Sat!!! She also jumps in her jeans as soon as i m in the shop and sits and learn by my side aall the time and gets done with everything i throw her way!! Shes really cool to have around.....

She came and helped opening all the boxes with her big sister!

Here are some of the parts i got a few weeks back;

The shocks are Calverts. I had them on a 69 Camaro project that i put together but never saw the street, theyre new. I sold another Camaro and the shocks to a guy. He had them for a month on a shelf.... and i got em back when i got the Nova.... painted them and putting them on for a start.
    [​IMG]#ad

I also have a set of super low Split mono leafs that injust sanded and painted before entering the house to post this. They are drying at the moment lol!!! You can see them in one of the first pics of the car in the garage....

For suspension, i also have a set of trick springs i ll need to cut i suppose.... i want this LOW and over the tires!!!!
    [​IMG]#ad

A thing that might help is that the Tubular A arms have a pocket to receive the Springs that lowers it 2" when installed.... we'll see i guess!!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I also got some SOLID subframe bushings for the subframe...
    [​IMG]#ad

I got these to hold the tie rod ends better, always hated the flimsy oem style units....
    [​IMG]#ad

To put the motor in, i got these Hooker plate mounts but i really do not like how they fit and need me to put biscuits in em to work, while what ii wanted was to be able to use my Moroso solid mounts with some adapters..... what i needed was some Dirty Dingo Sliders.... they are on their way and these are returning to the speed shop.....
    [​IMG]#ad

I discovered i need to post my post and then edit it for my Ipad or internet to let me put my pictures the way i usually do it.... dont know what s wrong but it works like that so thats what im doing. Posting a bit of writing, then editing and posting pics and details.... it works! Thats all i need!!

Hope you like what your seeing so far!!!

Lead.

7. Leadfoot1

Ok, well of course NO that wasnt all!!! It was just the beginning!! LoL!!!!

So well... since im planning to get this thing as fast as it'll go (mid 8's??) i figured it would be a good idea to have some brakes!! So i got these Wilwoods. And since im not saying a definite NO to the street, they are not the full race type.... but will be better than the drums that were on there!!! Lol!!!
    [​IMG]#ad

And i got this to go along.... it should be nice on my new firewall!!!
    [​IMG]#ad

And these to hook all of it up...
    [​IMG]#ad

And to save a bit of time and do a fast and super sano job....
    [​IMG]#ad

Oh!!! Just came across an older pic of the split mono's and Cal Tracs!!
    [​IMG]#ad

Leafs are new repainted and i had forgotten... darn, the CalTracs need a shot on New in a can too..... thats what s taking all the time!!! Didnt i say this was gonna be a racecar!!?? Sheesh.....

This is when i got the car back from the blaster and cleaned it out (had my own private beach w/all that leftover sand!!!)
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I'll switch post just to not loose whats posted here.....

Hate it when it happens!!!

Lead.

8. Leadfoot1

I'll have to upload the last two weeks but i'll give you a few more before leaving you for the time i need to upload and prepare the rest of the pics...

so, this thing is about to roll right? So it needed tires and wheels. That has been a tough one!! I love the COPO look and since i wanted to keep the "Crusty" look, it was a good fit especially since i had the Dog dish caps!! But my wheels were original 14"ers.... so, putting money into some buying some "heavy" new wheels was a bit against my thinking, so i got thes ugly things.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And since i wasnt sure if id mini tub the car and that Nova's are a Biatch to shoe.... i got these in the rear to start off of and fit some tires.
    [​IMG]#ad

I would like to get some Aluma Stars like the front complete w/beadlocks, but im not going to buy em twice... ($$ im sure yall understand!!) so ill run em for now, (might powder coat black and leave a bit of polished somewhere, maybe around the spokes and the outer rim ill see...) and ill decide when i also decide the rear housing.... (brand, width etc.... a lot of if and buts in that dept LOL!!!) but it should look mean sitting on these!! I got them mounted on new 27.5 MT fronts and 30x9 ET street Radial Slicks yesterday! Got pics also... just not uploaded....

I have a bit more... but i'll wait and get the other pics uploaded instead of just putting pics up for pics. That way i'll be able to explain what im wanting to do and you guys can comment on these.

I have engine stuff and the painted and filled firewall etc etc rear wheels are on the car so it already looks a lot different lol!!!

Im having a blast!! Its been awhile since i didnt have a project that didnt motivate me like that! I was into first Gen Camaro's A LOT and i realized i was tired of these..... but since they are big money makers, i kept getting them. My first car was a '68 Nova.... so this brings back memories also. ( (hey im only 43 so not THAT old!!! Lol!!)

But yeah, this should be enough to give you an idea of where this is going....

I'll try and get these pics sorted out. But meanwhile... the leafs need another coat.

Gotta go!!

Thanks for reading and please, if you have any ccomment, be my guest!!

Lead.

9. flyinhillbilly

That is a crazy solid car. I'm looking forward to following this one.

10. Leadfoot1

Lol!! Yeah.... up to a point.

its solid but since i want it to be "really" solid i did the floor pans.

I uploaded the last few weeks and have a few more pics!

here we go,

Ok, these are simple.... but still about the worst to do as they take a lot of time to clean and do! (Blasted them, primed, then painted) but its nice when its all done.
    [​IMG]#ad

So you guys saw the car blasted, thats when i decided to close the firewall. I usually weld a plate and be done with it but i had this one left over from a Camaro. So i decided it could look different aand if at any point one wants for any reason have access to original hole. It will be accessible.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I also epoxy primed (in black to have a good colored bottom of my body repairs) all thats been sandblasted, still never touching the OH SO NICE paint lol!!
    [​IMG]#ad

This is cool... all the spotwelds show everywhere, it is kind a clean...
    [​IMG]#ad

All is primed.... i also tried the main hoop for kicks...
    [​IMG]#ad

Pans are done over the bracing so no almost no welds show under! This is after painted with ceramic black tough...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

This is the first pan before painting...
    [​IMG]#ad

While i was finally at the painting stage, i did the firewall too. Of course i filled it and shave it to make it a bit nicer....
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

... and the subframe!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Its getting there nicely!! At least... im happy!!

Hope you guys appreciate!

I cant wait to get it back to roller status!!!

11. Leadfoot1

I have this pan made from Holley... it looks well built ans should fit nicely,

[​IMG]#ad

I had gotten these mounts from Holley too, but they are NOT what i expected at all... wanting to mount the motor "solid" i need another model...
    [​IMG]#ad

The ones i need are the aliders from Dirty Dingo...

The BULLET himself!!! All alum 15k miles 5/3.
    [​IMG]#ad

...and since im planning to use a 400 i have, this is my gun!
    [​IMG]#ad

I posted pics of the wheels, but i just got them mounted yesterday....
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Haha!! Car is SKY HIGH on the original leafs and empty! Ill get this taken care of over the week end! Wait till you see my repainted split mono leafs!! (even if they are brand new/ calvert dont really care of the look of their leafs!! .... and im probably the only one tomcare about that anyway LOL!!) they are super low and i might put sliders in the rear, i have them... just not sure if im moving the leafs in or what...
    Still looks better already! (And dont forget i might do these in gloss black powder coat!)
    [​IMG]#ad

Imgot a good deal on a set of glass doors.... its killing my paint scheme but i love the weight loss!!
    [​IMG]#ad

Theyll be here tuesday if all is how it should be...

[​IMG]#ad

Im looking into these products... heard good things about it! Price is killer!!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I think thats it for tonight..... i wanted to share.... its done.

Yall have a good night!!

Lead.

12. blk2door

Nice NOVA and being lighter will help with your goals. I vote move springs in and a mini tub.

13. Leadfoot1

Im with you..... kinda!! Thing is, it would look way better with more meat in the rear, but it would mean to curt a seriously solid car and on top of it, guy's are running 7's on 275's so, its a bit 'poser' to me to get more rubber to run "slower". But i didnt say no! It just wont be right now either, i want to take time to sort this out and start the car too first!! Then i'll see about what to do with this.

Thanks for the input!! I love big tire cars too!!

Lead.

14. Twin Turbo Skylark

Really cool build! No more working on a greasy old car for you, nice call sandblasting and starting fresh! Also good call on losing all the weight with the glass parts! Oh and my vote is to not mini tub it but to FULLY tub it because watching the videos of the small tired cars skating down the track sideways is sketchy as heck if you ask me.... Much respect to the guys doing it but I would not want to be behind the wheel of a turbocharged V8 car with tiny tires.... Just one guys opinion. Carry on, and good work!

Oh and the only reason I do not like the glass bumpers on my car is because they are not chrome.... If there were an affordable option for making the glass bumpers look chrome that would be cool.... I painted mine plasti-dip aluminum color and it looks good I think but not as cool as chrome.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  15. 302coupe

great start so far man, love novas, I wish I would have started with something like this instead of a mustang, it would be worth alot more. I have a real close buddy with a nova ls turbo deal, he actually is about to sell his turbo kit that was designed for stock front end like this cause he is going to a smith race craft deal and wants to build different kit, can get a price if your interested, its been low 8s single turbo deal, also will get some pics of his car I think you will get some idea from it, also he is about to do so fiber glass doors also for no prep stuff and he is going to make some hinges to were he can literally pull his steel doors off and slap the fiber glass ones on for no prep stuff and change them real fast, which I like so we can still have the steel ones for drag week and stuff like that since we cant run faster then 8.50s anyways and more street car. keep up the good work tho and will keep a eye on this

16. Leadfoot1

Hahaha!!! I hear you!! But to me, its the other way around!!! I LOVE seeing those cars and the drivers fight to keepp the cars rear from getting in front!!! The way they push is just insane and the feeling must be sooooooo cool!!! I mean, ive gotten behing some capable cars, but beeing "pushed" all the way down the track?? Woohoo!!! I deff wanna try that!!! Just cant wait!!!

And i also really like the fact they can do it on smlaa tires, and that it keeps the car "stock" lol!!!

I'll read your build for sure!! Thanks for the input!

Lead

17. Leadfoot1

Oh, and one more thing.... i didnt see it myself, but i think its Eastwood that has a new powder for powder coat. Its almost real chrome like. I dont know what heat glass bumpers can tolerate but i wanted to look into it. I also came across RUST 'O' Leum's spray cans at Home depot that have new chrome paint,,, it looks better than the usual silver we used.... might get a can to test also.... ill post up and let you guys know what i decide down the road!

Lead.

18. Leadfoot1

Hey thanks Micahel!! Glad you like it so far!!

Yeah, deff post some pics of your buddy's Nova!! 'Would love to see it!! I'm looking at pretty much i can find lately about Turbo Nova's!! Looking for ideas and inspiration... as well as parts and help!! So that would be very nice!!

Your amustang is a model thats REALLY gaining notoriety so, i wouldnt be too worried about its value, finding a clean Notch is becoming a lot harder that it was!! I know!! I have two buddy's trying to find nice solid ones and they either are out of their budget, or they cant find one....!!! LOL!!! So they ARE getting up there with the more "conventionnal" Muscle Cars. Me myself, i am a First gen Camaro guy but haad it for awhile.... i was dopue to do a change so i jumped into this cheap but clean body. ....but i have an empty shell of a '67 Camaro i have my eye on thats lying at a buddies... i might pick her up and stash her for later lol!!! Damn cars eh!,.. sickness they say!?? LOL!!! "They" dont have a clue!!! Hehehe.

Hey, thanks for the input!! 'Means a lot!!

Lead.

19. flyinhillbilly

Nothing beats Alsa Mirrachrome for spray on chromy goodness.

20. De-Marko

Nice and great foundation! I used to have a '75 nova 350 with 3 on the tree when I was 16 :grin: