1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 Boss 302 block strength

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mmoor, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Mmoor

Anyone know how much power these blocks can withstand?

Thanks!

2. testchimp

Do a search I think more than the standard 302 block. If you have one i would sell it to a collector and cash in on it.

3. sumfoo1

Yeah. I would buy an aftermarket block with the double that you would sell a real boss 302 block for. The aftermarket block will be stronger and you won't be ruining history. I have a thunderbolt 427 side oiler but I didn't use it for my build because I just couldn't risk it.

4. Disney Lincoln

They will hold a ton. Like 1500+

5. testchimp

1500+ that sounds like a miss print? They are still a thin stock casting.

6. 91turboterror

If I were you I'd sell the 1970 boss block & get a aftermarket boss or dart block

7. sumfoo1

^^ they are a think stock casting but with 4 bolt mains and I think they were all checked before being built for porosity and things like that. I'd say 1000 wouldn't be a problem but I don't think anyone claims more than 1000hp on a block.

8. ducatibrian

Old engine builder made a couple 347s with these that made good power and lived.
    750+ rwhp

I would sell it for the collector value and buy a dart block.

Could be worth a decent amount to the right guy.

9. Mmoor

Thanks for the replies!
    As silly as it sounds, this engine has some sentimental value to me... I've had it since 1987. As far as it's historical significance, it was a service replacement engine purchased new by a road racer in the early 70's, so it's not worth as much as you may think. Anyway, I've been going with a Boss 302 "theme" with my car lately, and think it's kind of neat that it has a real Boss 302 in it. That's not to say that I haven't been considering building a new short block for next winter's project, but for now I just want to keep the power level within the safety margins of the block.

10. testchimp

So it will have boss heads etc? Will it be turbocharged?

11. Mmoor

Yes to both

12. ducatibrian

Should make killer power. Tell us more about the combo.

13. Mmoor

Well it's a 306, has 8.5:1 compression... I used to have a 6-71 blower on it so it still has the solid lifter blower cam in it. I have a new hydraulic roller cam ready to go at some point. And that will limit me to 6500 rpms. I have 2 CSU 750's, that I was going to use on my modified blower manifold... but last summer I tried out Edelbrock's E-Boss Performer RPM naturally aspirated with one of the CSU carbs, so I could drive the car for a while, and now I'm thinking about keeping it a single carb setup. I'm just worried about fuel distribution issues with the dual plane intake.

14. ducatibrian

Nice, dual plane would not be my 1st choice unless very mild set up.

A boss 302 set up as blow thru on e85 with a forced inductions billet 76 would be killer.

15. Mmoor

16. ducatibrian

Straight to a single plane with decent cross section and that thing will make some power

Cam is not small for a 306, but not huge either

17. ducatibrian

What turbo are you thinking about?

The cam in my 304 is a little bit bigger than that but solid roller.

18. Mmoor

I agree. Kevin from CSU says I won't have any problems with running 2 750's on a tunnel ram type manifold. That's why I bought the 2 carbs.

Well I won't be using e85, just 93 octane pump gas. Funny you should say that...I bought my 2 Turbonetics 60 series turbos, JGS wastegates and blowoff valves from Jose at Forced Inductions!

19. Mmoor

There are no good single plane intakes for these Boss 302's. My blower manifold is a modified Weiand tunnel ram. I also have an un-modified Weiand tunnel ram too!

20. jaredsamurai

So you're going to blow thru two carbs?