1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 302 build questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Michael James, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Michael James

Hey I'm planning on turboing my 70 Mustang 302 that is in my 78 f100 and wanted some imput;

First- I know it may have been answered but I can't really find this specific question. I have heard that the early 70s blocks are stronger/thicker than later years. So what do you think a safe power zone would be?

Second- what carb would be a good choice for a turbo?

Third- would a considerably large turbo be ok if you turb it down to a lower boost. A guy I know is selling a 120mm that he claims was on a Jimmy with a 305 in it. But idk if it would be pointless without building the entire motor up from basically stock.

And finally- would a turbo set up be worth it with a 3 speed auto..

Thanks

2. flyinhillbilly

Don't know about the block
    Hard to go wrong with a 650dp
    Sounds like way too much turbo to me, but I'd like to see pics/specs
    3 speed auto is wonderful in a turbo car (or truck)

3. M&M Turbochargers

x2 what are the specs on the above mentioned turbo???

4. Michael James

"This turbo is strictly for someone looking to make numbers to drop the gods' jaws! 74mm 10-blade compressor, 89/120mm 12-blade turbine, it was made by Holset before Cummins purchased the company. It was replaced by the HT3B.
    They are capable of 800hp stock, comes with an external wastegate, thing is big," thats what the ad says

5. Michael James

6. flyinhillbilly

That actually may not be a bad match, you may want to research your turbo measurements though.

7. Michael James

like what measurments?

8. flyinhillbilly

All of them, they all matter. The way you posted it as a 120 at first tells me that you should probably scrub up on proper turbo sizing before you start buying parts.

9. M&M Turbochargers

id look into a gt45 (i think they go for about 300.00 shipped)or a 60-70mm compressor inducer turbo

10. M&M Turbochargers

:coolio:

11. Mnlx

120/89mm is way too much turbine, and probably a large a/r to boot. For a stockish 302, the mentioned gt45, a S366, or even something like the on3 70mm p trim would work decent. The older blocks are definitely beefier in places, but not sure if its where it matters. I haven't seen a busted one, but I personally wouldn't push it much further than the 450-500 whp the newer blocks are good for unless you'd like to find its limits.

12. Michael James

I may not put it on immediately and piece together the internals, possibly even a new better block. So with a moderate build would this work? It is basically new and with the piping, intercooler and he'd help me install and tune possible for 600$ only

13. Mnlx

The three pics you posted look like two different turbos. I'd personally look for something else, there are other reasonably priced turbos that would be a much better fit. My 2 cents.