1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1968 mustang twin turbo coyote build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by lowpressure, Aug 25, 2021.

1. lowpressure

So i should have started this when i started the build but im just now getting around to it.

Heres the breakdown of the upcoming build. Both whats already done and whats to come.

Ive owned this 1968 mustang since 1991. Ive raced the car since 93 with many different combos.
    This new combo that i have sitting on the floor of the shop is gonna be fun.

1968 mustang with TCI front suspension (had to remove strut towers to make room)

Gen 3 coyote that has been sleeved. (i do all engine assembly and will try to document with pics)
    twin s363 sxe turbos (it will be my first custom turbo build so ill be question heavy soon)
    manley I beams
    Diamond pistons
    boss intake
    upgraded valve springs

Power glide with reid case and bell ( i build lots of trannys so ill doc this also)
    high flow pump
    8 clutch drum
    1.80 straight cut planetary
    im adding a gear venders overdrive to this since it will see some limited street time.
    Stall converter stall speed will need to be figured out. I have a 9" 4k stall in it right now

9" rear that im in the process of building from scratch right now. (ill doc this too with pics)
    33 spline axles
    detroit locker
    gear ratio will also need figured. i have 4.56 sitting on the floor from the last NA combo but im guessing it will need somewhere in the 3.31 range for this build.

Tons of sheet metal work.
    I will be narrowing the rear frame wells 2-4 inches. This will be all custom and ill try to doc it.

2. Russell

Sounds amazing! Looking forward to the pictures!

lowpressure likes this.
  3. lowpressure

here are some of the pics so far. Not sure if i got them into chronological order but yall can figure that part out lol.

PHHP7243.JPG #ad

IMG_5246.JPG #ad

IMG_5327.JPG #ad

IMG_5340.JPG #ad

IMG_5382.JPG #ad

IMG_5384.JPG #ad

IMG_5414.JPG #ad

IMG_5448.JPG #ad

IMG_5451.JPG #ad

IMG_5457.JPG #ad

HLRV8123.JPG #ad

IMG_5491.JPG #ad

Briansshop and Disney Lincoln like this.
  4. lowpressure

heres a couple more. Ill post more as i go. I tig tacked the housing bolts so they wont spin and let it cool down on the old war case that was in the car. upgrading to a nodular for this build and letting go of the full spool and 4.56s since this one will be on the street. I took all of the suspension stuff back off today so i can primer the cross member and control arms tomorrow. Had my boys out in the shop tearin stuff up too. Good times!!

IMG_5469.JPG #ad

IMG_5487.JPG #ad

UQWE6262.JPG #ad

Disney Lincoln and Russell like this.
  5. lowpressure

im going to move the rear frame rails in about two inches and with the mini tub on top of that i should have a ton of room. I have to get that done soon so i can have a place to support my wishbone rear end locater im building and the top bar for the coil overs. Ill also tear down the powerglide tomorrow and check everything inside it out to make sure i order the correct case. I just cant remember if i built that one with a roller in the housing or if its still a bushing.

anyways, hope yall enjoy the build. Im hoping to have this thing running very soon but ready to race for next season. (ill not be working on it as much after october since ill be up a tree bow hunting most days)

6. lowpressure

I did a good bit of work fabbing up the rear housing and got my bell for the mod motor/glide from BTE a couple days ago. My old convertor that was set up for my windsor literally missed being perfect for this combo by 3/16 inch at the pilot. everything else matched up. Ill post some pics later tonight or tomorrow of that progress.

Disney Lincoln and B E N like this.
  7. lowpressure

Here’s a couple pics 1DE244FE-EE5C-47E0-988F-433296441239.jpeg #ad
    4F1C9A40-9BB7-4A0A-A13F-602C3B8C3B25.jpeg #ad
    0A0A105B-45BA-40D4-8D43-D944954F964F.jpeg #ad

mld54, B E N and Disney Lincoln like this.
  8. lowpressure

cleaned all the bs off the engine. Getting it ready to disassemble and do the swap over to the mustang cams and phasers.

IMG_5508.JPG #ad

9. B E N

Are you doing just exhaust phasers or do the gen 3 require both phasers?

10. lowpressure

Im doing both sets of phasers since the timing marks are different. They look exactly the same tooth-wise to me and i believe it would be easy to just remark them to match the mustang phasers and then re-check everything with the degree wheel but im inclined to just find a full set of phasers for this one.

11. B E N

I had sort of the same experience with the gen 2, I only did exhaust but it got to be such a hassle I just ordered the parts and called it a win. I'm not sure if the max adjustment angles are different in the truck. I have been looking at a gen 3 for a future project, just need to make sure I'm aware of what's involved

12. lowpressure

when I get it all installed I can post part numbers that worked or didn’t work to help the next guy

13. nxcoupe

Why did Ford change phasers between the truck and stang? My coyotes are all 14 and older, they are the same between truck and stang.

14. Briansshop

Good stuff,will be following

15. B E N

They changed the firing order between the truck and the car in 2015; that meant changing both cams and the exhaust phasers. I don't know if there was another change when they went to direct injection (gen 3). Why? Who knows.. The gen 1 is a lot easier to go from truck to car, but the gen 2 and 3 have some good upgrades.

nxcoupe likes this.
  16. nxcoupe

I remember that now. I remember you fought some of that as well. But why the phaser change? That just doesn't make sense?

17. B E N

Dunno, but it ran real bad with the truck phasers on the mustang cams. Could be just a marking change, I remember comparing them side by side but evidently didn't come up with anything profound, cuz I don't remember!

18. lowpressure

Disney Lincoln and B E N like this.
  19. lowpressure

20. lowpressure

heres how far i got to it as of last night. I put some stronger welds inside so i could get the outside nice an clean without having to worry about the weld being thin. IMG_5549.JPG #ad
    IMG_5550.JPG #ad

mld54 and Disney Lincoln like this.