1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1967 Mustang Coupe 351w Single t-70 Now with S475

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by brianj5600, Apr 3, 2008.

1. brianj5600

I started long ago. I have had 2 kids since the project started, which does nothing to speed things along. The car was originally a 6 cylinder and bone stock. I have redone the suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, fuel system, and rear end. All was done in my garage except the machine work. Now it is time for a turbo. I have no experience with header fab, so it is not going as fast as some builds here and won't be nearly as pretty as some. The engine/car combo does not leave a lot of room for headers. I have learned on the first side and hope the other goes a little faster.

The engine is a 351w with SRP -27cc pistons, AFR185's, hyd flat tappet, TorkerII intake and Proform double pumper.
    The turbo is an MPT-70 for now with an EV hat, Tial WG and BOV.
    The fuel system is a sumped tank, A1000 pump, 13204 regulator with -8 feed and return.
    The trans is a homebuilt C5 with 5 reds in the forward, 6 reds in the direct and a RMVB.
    The rear end is a 95 GT 8.8 with a 3.08 gear converted for leaf springs.

New setup
    The engine is a 351w with SRP -27cc pistons, AFR185's, hyd flat tappet, TorkerII intake and 650 double pumper.
    The turbo is an S475 with 96mm turbine and EV hat, Tial WG and BOV.
    The fuel system is a sumped tank, A1000 pump, 13204 regulator with -8 feed and return.
    The trans is a homebuilt C5 with 6 reds in the forward, 6 reds in the direct and a RMVB with TB.
    The rear end is an 88 F150 8.8 with a 3.08 gear, spool, 35spl axles, late big beaing ends and Explorer brakes.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. brianj5600

Re: 1967 Mustang Coupe 351w Single t-70

Here are some pictures of the drivers side header.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. xlr8a4d

Cool !

4. quick1320

nice looking build

5. CarNDrvr

Nice...I love the old cars with modern technology.

6. racesloth

subscribing... :corn:

7. 10secgoal

Looks great man. Hardest part is done.

8. brianj5600

I got the passenger side mocked up today. It was 10x easier. There was a little more room and the collector is inline with the motor. The other had to kick out about 30 degrees or it went right into the radiator outlet. Plus I had one header under my belt. Now to cut them both apart and weld them up. The drivers side is super tight. I hope it fits after finish welding.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. denmah

nice, the car looks great!

10. DannyS

hey alright, im a big fan of the vintage stangs!

11. brianj5600

I got a little more done on the car. The drivers side header is finished and the turbo is in place. The passenger side header is partly welded and I hope to finish it in the next couple days and start the crossover. The plan for the crossover and downpipe is ambitious. I plan on running the crossover between the core support and the swaybar. When it gets to the other side it will curve up and toward the rear just a bit to clear the radiator outlet and then turn forward and up to join the drivers side. The DP will 90 right out of the turbo and go down in front of the cylinderhead and split into two 2.5" pipes. One pipe will turn straight back and the other will pass in front of the motor and then turn back on the other side of the motor. I still have a little trimming to do to get the compressor cover to fit. I am not sure it will all work, but that is the plan.

1001738ni9.jpg #ad

1001736ty8.jpg #ad

1001734ix1.jpg #ad

12. davidjalb

Wow im not familiar with the engine bays of the older stangs but compared to a fox that looks mighty tight in there. Not much room between the engine and the shock towers.

13. Throttle

Yeah, they are super tight under there.. I just sold a 1969 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that the owner was sick of trying to change plugs on.. :D

14. brianj5600

There is enough room to run two 1.625" tubes side by side and that is about it. There may be .25" left to split between the motor and the shock tower. There is little room for error. I would like to building it with an S475, but that may be tough for a first time fabber. I think it would fit OK. The hard part would be where to run a decent size DP.

15. boostedtorino

holly crap I wish I had seen this when i started lookin at tryin to do my headers this changes everything I was lookin at tryin on my 69torino ....those headers look great man ..... how hard has it been to fit everything???? got any tips lol??

16. brianj5600

It is not easy, but I had never built headers or even done exhaust work. I know now why prices for this stuff are where they are. I have over $200 in materials in my headers and a lot of hours. They are not as nice as what I could have bought, but I wanted the satisfaction of doing it myself. If you don't have a lot of patience, buy them! I am not sure the satisfaction is worth all the work.
    I got a little help here https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82845.0 but there are no pictures of the headers off the car. I ordered some stuff from Brian at B&G and he recommended 1D bends, 1.625" radius. I think he may have even said it won't work w/o that tight of bend. The closest I could find was these http://store.summitracing.com/partd...864577 4294781314 4294864597 115&autoview=sku They have a 2" radius. 5 of these would be the minimum to make headers.
    I bought flanges, collectors and V-bands from B&G. The head flanges are listed for 1.625" tube and oval ports. They were far cheaper than anyone else's but the openings were too big for 1.625" tubing. I use a measuring tape like a tailor would use to measure how far it was around the opening and compared it to the circumference of the 1.625" tubes I had and there was about a .25" difference. After some head scratching I cut eight 1.5" long peices of tubing and had the muffler shop down the street expand one end of them slightly to the same circumference as the flange. They were easy to shape by putting them in a vise and sqeezing one end of them down to the right width to fit the flange. I put a socket in the nonexpanded end to keep it round when sqeezing them in a vise. With out expanding them there were large air gaps at the top and bottom. Another problem I had was if I tried to squish the tubing in the middle of a bend, it would not come out oval shaped. When the j-bends are made the metal on the outer part of the bend gets stretched and the inner part is shrunk. This makes the metal thickness different so one side flattens out and the other, not so much. The collectors work OK. I have seen some that are a little more compact, which helps. Another thing is don't buy a T4 flange with a round center opening. When laid flat on a T4 housing there is a big mismatch. There is a fairly big area at the top and bottom that you can see the flat part of the gasket surface of the housing. It is more trouble to use a rectangular cut out, but there will be less restriction between the turbo and the flange.
    The tools I used were a sawsall, grinder and mig welder. If you have a bandsaw it would help a ton.

17. boostedtorino

cool I will def keep that in ind ... you dont mind if I have any trouble in pming you do ya lol??? bein as youve alreadt started on yours ... cuz I run into a snag I may need a lil input lol

18. 10secgoal

I'm glad somebody said it. I get PM's and emails all the time and I really think they expect to pay 200 bucks for headers like they are 18 guage cheapies migged on a machine.
    With the tubing going into a flange at a bend, now you know my heart ache on 65 headers. Each tube is like that. there is no other way. There is no room for it, I have to cheat them a little even to get them in.
    You headers look damn good though.
    (good eye on the circle T-4 flange)

19. boostedtorino

hey 10sec...... what gauge material do you recomend for my headers????

20. 99TTGT

nice headers man! :welder::2thumbs: