1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1967 Camaro LS/4l80e Twin 66mm Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by darkostoj, Apr 4, 2013.

1. darkostoj

Well I am finally getting started on my twin turbo setup for my 67 camaro. It has had 3-4 different engine combination setups over the years I've owned it. Started off naturally aspirated sbc, then supercharged sbc, now twin turbo and fuel injected.

Planning on a stock 2003 Silverado 6.0L
    -ls1 intake and truck tb
    -ebay head studs and arp rod bolts
    -cam spec'd by lil john with afr *8017 springs (had them laying around)
    -Alper fbody accessories with low pass mount a/c bracket
    -everything else stock

4l80e transmission
    -jakes automatic valvebody with transbrake
    -not sure on converter yet
    -whatever else it needs to handle ~1000hp
    -tci trans controller
    -BMR crossmember

Fast xfi with traction control and data logging
    -e85 flex fuel sensor
    -xim

Turbonetics 66mm Hurricane turbo's .68 a/r
    2 - tial 44mm wastegates
    tial 50mm BOV

Adding a vintage air a/c system

keeping the existing hydraboost and 3rd gen p/s box, hotchkis sway bar, tubular upper arms, and stock subframe

Using this mostly stock engine for mockup and working out the bugs on the car after I get it all together, I have another engine capable of 1k+ horsepower in the works now

Will be building headers out of 304 stainless.
    -3/8" 1.75 header flanges
    -1.75 primaries
    -3" double slip collector to t4 flange
    -3" downpipe
    -2.5" cold side tubing with knockoff wiggins clamps
    -I got a pretty slick intercooler off ebay as well
    -3" intercooler to intake tubing

Just before I tore it down

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Engine bay now

[​IMG]#ad

cut the tabs off the intercooler and made my own mounting brackets. I also found a pretty slick oil cooler off a 98 range rover that I cut the ends off and will weld on -8 an fittings. It fit nicely in front of the intercooler.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Today I was mostly messing around with drive accessories and got the engine in to see how much of the subframe i'm going to have to notch and play around with header and turbo placement options

I'll say this, if you aren't dead set on a/c it is a headache and i'd avoid it

Next the challenges with fbody altnernator mount. There are 3 holes that mount the bracket and the iron lq4 block only has a threaded boss for 1, the boss needs to be tapped for a 2nd, and the 3rd is completely missing

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

this is a log header i borrowed from a buddy to see how I would like the fit of it. I was planning on doing headers, but after seeing how nice this fit, and the fact I can mount the turbos on the end of the logs without any brackets/supports since this sucker is 11ga it might not be a bad way to go.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. darkostoj

After much thought I decided to just go ahead and order the vintage air front runner system and gotta say thing thing is awesome. I have been piecing together acc drives my whole life on every project i've ever done and finally broke down and just spent the coin for this thing. I love just bolting it on and being done...well almost

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

ordered some cheap ebay ls1 fuel rails...these things are junk and hit the bolts that mount the intake to the engine on both sides. I'm so sick of ordering aftermarket parts and them being junk and not even useable!!! I'm probably going to order the fast ones and be done with it.

I got a good deal on 120cc low impendance smart fire injectors...we will see how they work.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

got the engine in the car and played around with the mounting locations on the engine mount adapter brackets. I ended up using the middle location. The location mounting the engine all the way towards the back of the car *may* have been better for fitting more of the turbo components, but in this position I have a nice amount of clearance everywhere.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I pulled the reservior off the power steering pump becuase thats where I wanted to route the downpipe. Routing the downpipes below the headers will allow me to keep my column shift which is probably the thing i love most about the car, and just seems better/cleaner overall. I will have better plug access and keep heat off the top of the engine.

It seems like I can tap this port on the pump with a 1/2" NPT. I have a corvette p/s pump with a nipple on it, but I wanted a sharp 90* an fitting for more clearance to the remote reservior.

Anybody ever done this?

[​IMG]#ad

Seems like this is going to be the approx location of the turbo on the drivers side. I don't really like having the t4 flange up like that, but its the ONLY way I can think of routing the downpipe through the bottom of the car.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I've thought about doing a rack conversion, but they are pretty expensive and I think with some time I can route the downpipe decently. I have the fast ratio box and last time I had the car together I liked the steering.

Anyone know where I could find a smaller hydraboost setup? The extra clearance would help and the thing is huge. Its off a 03 escalade if I remember right.

I ordered some stainless flanges from a company out west but the ports and bolt holes didnt line up at all so I will have to return them.

I also ordered some cheap stainless t4 turbo flanges off ebay...they ended up being a chromed piece of mild steel

did I mention I hate ordering stuff and getting junk??

I ended up ordering all the header stuff from stainless headers
    10 - 1.75 J bends
    2 - 3/8 304 stainless 1.75 header flanges
    2 - 1.75 to 3" double slip 4-1 merge collector with tabs
    2 - t4 flanges

Its crazy, i got about 1k into header material alone!

I used a supercharged cts-v oil pan and it fits nicely and is a lot more shallow than the truck pan, but I still only got about 5" of clearance...so not sure what to do there yet.

3. rockoosi1

I love the accessory drive setup! Not sure how the final setup will look but having everything nice and compact like looks real nice!

The reason this build get my attention is because I'm thinking of switching my blow thru setup in my 69 Camaro. I have a single turbo LQ4 in my 89 Camaro and absolutely love it!! I thought I liked my blow thru in my 69 until I got my 89 up and running. Do you have any pictures with both turbos in place yet?

4. darkostoj

i'm waiting on my header components to come in and then i'm going to start fabbing it up. I'm going to take my time with it and redo it a bunch i'm sure. With how I plan on routing it, this sucker is going to be a challenge!!

5. darkostoj

some more updates

working in welding aluminum still, got a long way to go! The end of the weld got too hot.

[​IMG]#ad

cooler adapters for the 4l80

[​IMG]#ad

car up on the lift

[​IMG]#ad

underbody

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Trans is in, bought a BMR crossmember and I don't really like it. I need to cut it up and raise the mounting point of the trans up atleast another 1-2"

[​IMG]#ad

test fitting my old exhaust to see what mods I have to make....looks like it will mostly work

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

engine bay

[​IMG]#ad

going to be starting on the headers this week when my header build stuff shows up.

6. BlownShovel

Looking good. As for trans fittings some 80's require a specific fitting in the rear or it will starve the rear drum and cook in a few hundred miles. just wanted to give a heads up

7. darkostoj

yeah i ordered the fittings off ebay, the rear one is longer if I remember right. Thanks for the heads up!

8. BlownShovel

cool.... Nice build and I didn't want the trans to go out right away.

9. Rickys S/C Z28

Looking good man.

10. darkostoj

tried welding stainless for the first time today, just practicing.

[​IMG]#ad

With how sloppy I was welding I think with some practice i'll be able to get some nice welds out of it.

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Great project!

12. darkostoj

Well I decided to run the fbody pan because I wasnt happy with the clearance of the ctsv pan. Using the fbody pan make me move the engine back another inch and a half which made everything a much tighter fit that i'm not the happiest about, but guess its gotta be that way. Gives me more clearance in front of the engine which is a good thing I suppose.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

much better

[​IMG]#ad

I am going to return the BMR crossmember, its way overpriced for what it is, and didnt even fit once i moved the engine back. I'm just going to cut up and modify the old 2004r one I had

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I'm probably going to put the turbo's in the front corners behind the lights because they just fit the best there without hacking up the car

just laying some stuff out to see how it all looks

[​IMG]#ad

had these lying around, but this will be the area the collectors will be at

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

location of turbo, gotta build brackets for them...not gonna be easy since everything around it is thin sheetmetal.

[​IMG]#ad

building this header will not be fun

[​IMG]#ad

The an fittings for the trans cooler lines are hitting the tunnel. I'm going to see if there are any inverted flare style fittings that i can use with a 90* inv flare to -6 an fitting that will cut down on the fitting length.

As far as the oil drain, I'm not sure what to do since mounting them in those locations will drop them down a bunch. I figured it out to about a 15-20* slope to the pan with about a 30" -10 an line...that seem decent enough?

Next thing is buiding the brackets for the turbo's. Anyone got any ideas or slick ways of doing it? I'm going to have to sit there and think for a while about that one.

13. darkostoj

Did the trans mount today, I ran out of argon so I couldn't finish welding it, but enough to hold it for mockup at the moment

[​IMG]#ad

Been welding a bunch of stainless and aluminum so when I welded thicker mild steel it was cake. First time tigging thick steel, I'm happy with it.

[​IMG]#ad

Its done enough for mockup, I'll make it look pretty later on.

I did the removable center bar because that way I can just easily unbolt that part of the mount if I want to drop the trans for whatever reason.

I also now have a good mount for a drive shaft loop I'll be adding once I get my drive shaft shortened.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. darkostoj

Well I went to install the exhaust and ran into some clearance issues, so I trimmed up the mount a little and it all fits much better now.

This is pretty much my first tig weld ever on thicker mild stuff..I'm happy with it.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Collectors, header tubes, and flanges showed up!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Everything seems to be pretty much done underneath the car so now to work in the engine bay...next thing mounting the turbo's.

15. M&M Turbochargers

where do you plan on placing the waste gates??

16. darkostoj

wherever they fit the best. Most likely at the bottom of the collector..I'd like to keep them hidden, but not restrict flow either.

17. darkostoj

Played around with mounting ideas. Cut a piece of aluminum, bent it on a brake and cut it up for a mount.

The turbo is a little close to the support so I am going to make a new bracket to move it back maybe 3/4" or so. I will also be putting another support on the bottom and a rod end style joint on the top.

I am going to have to get some tighter 3" bends. I have 6" radius bends now and I don't think they will clear, a place by me has 4.5" and 3" radius bends so I will probably go pick them up.

Once I have the turbo's mounted and done I will jump on the downpipe, then the headers last.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. jaredsamurai

19. plywood

This build is awesome, i am going to use a 4l80E and tci shift computer on my build as well, i will be following to see how it works, and watch your header build :2thumbs:

20. darkostoj

Started making the brackets for mounting the turbo's

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Quickly realized these clamps wont work on the turbo's there, I have to do a 90* off the turbo then I can add the clamps

[​IMG]#ad

I added the heim joint instead of a solid joint to give the turbo mount a little flex, less prone to cracks!

[​IMG]#ad

A little "clearancing"

[​IMG]#ad

Turbo mounted finally!

[​IMG]#ad

Both Mounted

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad