1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1965 Mustang 351 PT-88 Project Tons of pics, and now Video

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by wickedcobra, Feb 12, 2012.

1. wickedcobra

This whole project started out Aug 08, and has had many changes for sure. Money spent twice more then a couple times. Lessons leaned, and a big ass learning curve that seems to have finally leveled out. Most of my experience was pretty basic then.. Im no master, but for sure not a apprentice at this point.

Bought this car in the bay area from a guy off loading projects... so I was lucky enough to get it.. It was a Fairly stock 289 4 Speed that was lowered, with exhaust, Boyd Codington wheels,Pony interior, and a oil leak that still makes me pissed off.. [​IMG]#ad

I went old school due to california smog being a damn joke.. and i didnt want to deal with it anymore.

First things First. Making more room for tires. 15x10 out back and 15x4 up front. Decided to Mini Tub the car, and then move the springs from outside the frame rail to inside.[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Body sealed, primed, and painted. The preston jug was so i had a gas tank to pull it back in my garage..lol
    The sheet metal damage was from a trailer hitch..No longer on the car to say the least.
    [​IMG]#ad

Redid the floor in the trunk to hold the fuel cell.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Time to start the rear end stuff.. Got the Calvert Racing Split Mono Leaf springs, caltracs, and rancho 9000rs shocks. The way things worked, i ended up making a offset shackle, as well as lathed out some solid bushings for the frame. Went bigger hardware on everything just to make sure..
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Rear end is from my 95 mustang. 8.8 that was cut down. It presently has a 31 spline cobra diff, strange axles with c-clip and 5/8th studs. Im sure some day ill switch to a fab 9in.. but this seems to be working for now.. Knock on wood.[​IMG][​IMG]#ad

Car was back on the ground at this point
    [​IMG]#ad

Putting a 10pt cage in.. Probably something i will not ever do myself again. 24 hours of hell.. I will write a check next time..lol
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

drove it this way for a while. But then it was time for the front end.. Was going to go Mustang II.. but ended up doing a Coilover stock style suspension... Should have just done it.. later in the story, you will find out why..
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Notched the towers to make it easier with changing the plugs on the 351 to come.
    [​IMG]#ad

Cleaning the Engine bay up.. Back to that nasty oil leak from the 289.. I ended up chizeling about 1/4in of hard oil off the frame where the headers had baked it for who knows how long.[​IMG]#ad

out with the old-[​IMG]#ad

Painted.[​IMG]#ad

Didnt really get a pic of the suspension.. but one i guess.
    [​IMG]#ad

Strange master cylinder.[​IMG]#ad

351 Donor-[​IMG]#ad

Ended up building a stockish bottom end motor. Victor jr heads, Super Victor intake.TFS2 cam, Quick Fuel 750 blow through, and a vortech S trim. Started with a 6 rib at 6ish pounds, ended up 10 rib at 11ish pounds. Built a pretty mild C4 to go with it.. Added a couple extra clutches, manual VB and a 3000stall. Could only foot brake to 2200 before it would try and spin the tires.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

**Note to self, Heddmann 351 swap headers for 65 mustang fit like Shit.

http://youtu.be/yMRiD1ptvaM
    two step
    http://youtu.be/o2WU7w5VB5E
    Quickest run to date
    http://youtu.be/mXGOP1VYaR8
    Good burnout with crap launch.
    http://youtu.be/S3HZh7Y7F9s

So over all, after figuring out a few bugs, going through a couple head gaskets. And finally starting to get things dialed in.. It was time to step up a little..lol And i know what some are saying.. this is turbo forums, Not Vortech.. So true... So i started making room for a turbo....

Rod And Custom MII Front with drop spindles, Coil Overs and Drilled/Slotted Rotors

And a Big Boy Toy T-6 80mm 1.23A/R

Also Ordered a CSU 750 carb, H-Beam rods, Flat Top Pistons (should put me about 9.1 comp or so with my heads) And ill be getting a different cam as well. All that is getting balanced and thrown back in the block. and the turbo is getting turned up to 13-15lbs.

I lowered the back of the car another 2inches.. So 4 total now.. Im hoping it doesnt take to much to make it work. The front end was as low as the previous suspension would allow, so with the new stuff, i should be able to level the car out. Cant say enough good about the Rod and Custom stuff.. fit perfect.. Great quality.
    Last pic before the Mustang II was started

This month i should have my Motor back together, as well as engine bay fixed up, trans in.. ect.. Next month is going to be devoted to turbo hot side and cold fab, Intercooler install ect. My C4 will not be able to hang with this.. But, Ill have the car in Kool April Nights, as well as in my wedding in May. So I wont get to beat on it till after that.. Cant afford to break it..lol. After wedding, getting a powerglide to throw in it.. and ganna go talk some shit.. Ill keep updating as i go. Thanks for Reading..

Lastly, I have to thank my girlfriend/soon to be wife for putting up with this obsession.. Racing is a addiction that makes Heroin seem like a longing for something salty..
    My Brother BlownStang98, Dave, Ken, Mike B., Temio aka Swiftshifter, my neighbors and everyone who spent time with me getting dirty.. Also like to thank the haters, who gave me motivation to work harder, spend more, and sleep less.. Without you guys, i wouldnt have such a bad ass ride..

BTW, Car is still street driven, so not a trailer queen..

2. kennyz

Re: 1965 Mustang 351 S400 Project (Pic Heavy)

:2thumbs: can't wait to see her again!!

3. revn351

Holy crap that's a beautiful car. I love old school car that are well done like yours.

4. ricky

makes me wish i still had my 65, first car i ever bought, and it was fun :2thumbs: biggest headache was the old style front suspension and brakes, thats a really nice crossmember/coilovers/brakes setup you have there, wish they had made that back in the 80's..

so,you fabbed up your own offset rear hangers,etc? you got good skills..going to keep my eye on this project :2thumbs:

5. Iskwezm

Still like that wing :2thumbs:, but didnt know it stuck out that far. Wotn fit in my garage unless i leave the trunk open. :doh:

6. jfive

Subscribing. 8)

7. turbostang500

Badass!!!
    Subscribing also!

8. allmotor65stang

nice build.Love to see the final setup. :2thumbs:

9. forcefed88coupe

Man this makes me wanna play with mine... :eek: my 65 stang that is... :D

10. wickedcobra

Need to get movin!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  11. allmotor65stang

Where in NOR CAL you at???

12. wickedcobra

Im in Yuba City.. We have talked a few times on Norcal1320 about your car.

13. allmotor65stang

got ya ok now i remember..Bad ass car good luck with the build.

14. vossperformance

Nice build

15. Machwon1

Wow great build. Cant wait to see more of this!

16. turbofalcon65

awesome build, so where did you get the rear wing or did you build that to? :2thumbs:

17. Turbohwagon

Still have the coil over setup? Wana sell it? :D

18. wickedcobra

Wing is a ED quay. And they are proud of it. :bow: But i have to say, its a nice piece and they package it well..

19. wickedcobra

Setup is all gone. Sold to help pay for the Mustang II

20. wickedcobra

Here is the latest,
    Cut out the radiator support a bit to get the radiator moved forward. And will weld in a couple bars to mount the new bigger radiator too.
    Then cut the Strut Rod supports out since there are none now.. And welded some 1.25 pipe from the fire wall to the frame for the added support. probably really didnt need to, but just piece of mind.
    Also got some metal back in where the shock towers used to be. Weld, grind, weld,grind..lol
    Spend most of yesterday morning steam clean pressure washing the underside of the car removing old oil and undercoat.. Looks so much better now!! With the perk on not having the exon oil spill under there anymore. See preivous anger about 289 oil leak..lol
    Started Motor assembly yesterday as well. Cleaned everything up really nice.. and started the long road of file fitting rings. 7 pistions in last night.. And couldnt go anymore at 1:30am.. (had to be up for work at 5)
    I have a few pics on my phone that ill try and get up tonight.. Hope to have the motor back in the car this week.. And then turbo mock up and fab can began! Also nice to be able to start putting fenders back on soon.