1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4.6 2v turbo help

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 68bumpside, Nov 26, 2019.

1. 68bumpside

First timer to forum, also first turbo build. I have a 2004 4.6 2v PI / 4r70w from a Crown Vic powered with a Holley Dominator. I have truck running well and am ready to up the power. I'm wanting to run stock heads and stock bottom end. Planning on using the MHS Gen2 stage 1 turbo cams. I'm needing help with what turbo to use (under $800ish preferably) with that setup and what size wastegate, ect…? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. 91turboterror

How much horsepower are you looking to make? 2v bottom ends are not the strongest so keep that in mind.

3. 68bumpside

No specifics really, if that's a reasonable answer to the question. What I'm trying to achieve is a decent amount of power increase but I'm not looking to push the motor to its limits.

4. Bad Medicine Racing

I like the thought of a S366 on that setup. Should spool nice and make decent power on 281".

B E N, Pro-SC and tbird like this.
  5. 68bumpside

That's a Borg Warner correct?

6. Bad Medicine Racing

Yes. Good quality at a good price.

7. 68bumpside

I'm guessing I'll need to due some research for sizing the turbo or is there a generic size?

8. tbird

I believe the standard s366 is 80x74 .91 a/r t4 turbine.
    These can be found for 600ish

9. Pro-SC

You might want to consider spending a bit of money on rods for the 2v, they do not like power above the 400, 450 level. The factory powder cracked rods are not performance pieces. If the engine is well worn I wouldn’t worry about it but if it is in good shape upgrade the rods. The Borg s366 is a great choice and you should be able to get a good deal on one right now.
    Post some pics of your bumpside, love the 67/72 f100’s.

10. 68bumpside

97k on motor I've prolly put a few thousand on it so I say just at or a little over 100k

11. Pro-SC

Looks awesome!
    You should start a build thread, there are a lot of people here who love the old Fords.
    You could try running it but if you want it to last a while you should upgrade the rods and gap the piston rings for boost. Some will say just to run it without gapping but if you decide to do the rods, might as well gap the rings too.
    My work takes me across the prairie provinces of Canada where it is all farm land and I just came across a couple of these trucks, going to look into them.
    I really like the Dakota digital gauge cluster for these trucks, it is a very nice setup.

12. 68bumpside

Yes they are I saw one when I was a very young boy parked by a shed for years and fell in love with them. I'm now 30 and own 2. Will definitely look for into rod swap and for ring gapping for boost I am gonna need to do research for sure I'm new to the turbo. Only N/A and nitrous power up until now.

13. Pro-SC

FDE639EE-5BC6-4C4A-8C2D-F8A4DECBCB6B.jpeg #ad
    220C4738-E9B1-4120-A77F-B083AD645B96.jpeg #ad
    8184A005-E1A2-4F15-B643-DE88B38161B1.jpeg #ad

While you are reasearching you might want to look into this.
    These are twin turbo cast manifolds for the 5.4 2v F-150 engine. As far as I know there is nothing different that would not let you use these on the 4.6 2v. The manifolds should bolt up as far as I know. I have been interested in these for a while but have not seen anybody use them. You will get great advice on this forum from guys with a lot more experience than me.

14. 68bumpside

Thank you very much

15. fastspec2

Are those the Treadstone ones? SC is correct. those rods like to get shorter at around 450tq. You can get by with keeping the boost and timing down to keep it below 450-ish or TQ, then ramp up as it naturally falls. Don't be afraid of 6-8* around 4000 then coming back up to the more "normal" 14-16by 6000. But also I would not hesitate to boost it as is either. 500rhp in that chassis would be alot of fun. I like the truck alot.

68bumpside likes this.
  16. Pro-SC

Yes those are Treadstone manifolds.
    And like fastspec2 says, you can just run it the way it is. If you do you could slowly put together a built engine that will last and learn all the ins and outs, you will more than likely change your mind on small things as you go. Start a build thread!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    68bumpside likes this.
  17. 91turboterror

Maybe you can find a set of Manley rods used for a good price from a 03-04 cobra

Pro-SC likes this.