1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

144 Weiand blower on stock 350?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by mikej, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mikej

I own a '78 El Camino with a completely stock 1973 350 2bbl, and I'm considering a Weiand 144 blower for more power. I was thinking that I could bolt on the blower and make some decent numbers until I get enough saved up for free flowing heads and a better cam. These blowers are supposed to work great with stock components and make about 5psi boost on a 350. I was thinking my 8.5-1 compression ratio is safe (lots of guys run 9-1 and 9.5-1). But this is a 1973 engine, so that's my main concern. I don't think this engine has many miles because this car sat a lot and wasn't driven much.

I do have a good exhaust system on the car (dual manifolds, 2-2.5 in pipes, and cherry bombs), but will the blower still make decent numbers with the L65 1973 heads? I'm not expecting 400hp, but somewhere in the range of 300hp/400 torque would be nice. What do you guys think?

2. turboboy4548

I have much experience with the weiand big block and small block superchargers...on a stock engine it will give you about 80-100 hp increase, with better camshaft the power increase will be substantial...it is a real drivable combination the low end torque is unbelievable...My dads 78 el camino has a 468 bbc stock heads stock bottom cast crank, stock rods, low compression forged pistons comp nx 274 cam, with a weiand 177...it is docile enough to drive everyday but has enough power to run 11.70@112 I have also ran the 144 version on a smallblock 350 with and without nitrous. I miss those days sometimes..I stepped up to prochargers on both my cars and the driveability is not as good. Fuel mileage sucks too.. Noise is unbearable as well...but the power increase is mind numbing If you have any questions pm me I will give you any info you need.

3. mikej

Hey, thanks for the advice! How come prochargers make more power than the roots blowers? What results did you get with the 144?