1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

144 blower

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by jmccart, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jmccart

any one have any experience with these? are they pretty much bolt on and go? i can only find info on the 174s, but someone said they are the same 174 is just b&m and 144 is weiand. is this true? thinking of running one on a street car, its either that or nos, but any help is appreciated thanks

2. jayman306

my bro had one on his 85 13 years ago.. and he loved it.... made boost down low and had a sound like the cobra blowers under boost... dead reliable also... ran it for 6 years and ran 11.40's from the time it came out to the time it blew up..

3. jmccart

what was his combo? im looking to run low low 11s, but i heard that id be dissapointed at the track with one, and overheating problems, any truth to that?

4. papis408w

I had one on my 351w many moons ago and like Jayman stated it's dead ass reliable on the street. It pulled like a mo fo. The only negative thing I dealt with was I kept throwing belts at the top end of the track w/ slicks due to the adj spring brackets that come stock w/ the kit. I had B&M make me a set of custom pulleys as well as a solid bracket setup to hold the belt on high RPM. It cost me $500 just for that set up. It did work like a charm as I never threw another belt again. It was running 10.90's on 15lbs and semi shifting like a man as my Tremec 3550(when they 1st came out 15yrs. ago) sucked ass.

I just sold that set up last yr. after having it in the closet for 15+yrs. The guy who bought it said he has gone mid 10's and still sorting things out. Holley now owns B&M and they only make the 174 version.

5. jmccart

so i guess the 174 is the same just a holley version is low 11s possible with a c4 373s, 302 fresh bottom end, f cam, bblk long tubes, gt40s, roller rockers???

6. mustang-junky

I had a b+m 174 on a 351W. My manifold came with mounts for both the size I had and the 144. I also had one of the smaller cases and a bunch of other parts for it. I sold the setup to a friend. The only problem I had was belt slipage. Definatly go with the 8 rib pulley stuff.

7. jmccart

im just debating right now rather the 144 or the nitrous route, just wanna run 11.20s or faster, and i have not gotten the answers ive been looking for, is it possible gt40 heads, 144 f cam slicks bbk long tubes to run 11.20s? or should i go eddy rpms 150 shot ??

8. papis408w

well I had long tubes, GT40 iron heads when I ran those times so Yes you casn run low 11's but you'll definately have belt problems unless you upgrade to a bigger belt and solid bracketry.

9. jmccart

ok thanks where can i get pullies? i think im gonna get just a 8-10 lb for now, see if i have any problems, id be happy with 11.40s for starters

10. papis408w

I guess your gonna have to contact Holley but give B&M a try to see if they can help

11. jmccart

ok thanks, hopefully i can see mid-low 11s, this will be a c4 setup so that will help a bit thanks for the help

12. papis408w

no problem

13. liquidh8

For the SBC the wiend 142 and 177 were different, the intakes are the same but the blower housings are different. My brothers nitroused, blown, 406 has the 177. And that thing hauls! But again, this is a chevy app, so the ford may be different.

14. mustang-junky

so you are saying that a ford with nitrous and a supercharger would'nt haul ass. Well it would untill the block broke. :'(

15. hybred

ok.. devil's advocate :D going against the grain here. imo it's not worth it. with my limited experience i wouldn't throw down the cash for one that's for sure. i'd build a elchepo turbo with a $250 holset first :eek: my bud is running one now. he's got a well built camaro. all caged, built sbc with alum heads, built auto, 9" rear ect. he took me for a ride and the thing is NOT fast . he's like the captain of a sinking ship. i keep trying to tell him to go turbo but he stands behind running a blower. it's tuned via wideband and ran smooth but it's just not impressive. also you'll need a good size carb to feed a draw threw. he's running a holley 950 that he had built. then with the hp robbed at the crank and the heat the thing creates, i don't know. just can't see plopping down the cash for one. now if i had one someone gave me i'd run it. why not? i'd juice it. get a good wet system and go for it. yeah it sucks filling a bottle but my bud's had many problems with his 177 too. pulley problems, twice broken snout. he made some a spring tensioner and it seems to be holding up ok this time tho. ah well, just another .02 right?

16. andrewb70

Holley purchased Weiand and B&M about 5 years ago. The current Weiand 174 kit for small block fords is actually the old B&M kit. The 177 kits that are offered for other engines are the original Weiand superchargers. The main difference between the Weiand and the B&M kits is that the B&M kits features teflon tipped rotors, while the Weiand blowers did not. So the 142 kits are also old B&M and have teflon. The 144 kits are Weiand and do not have teflon. Same for the midsize 256 and 250 blowers. The 250 has teflon while the 256 does not.

The only option for a small block Ford is the 174 kit and it will only fit a 302, not a 351.

Andrew

17. papis408w

Andrew your wrong on it fitting on a 351w as that is what I had it on. All you need are adapter plates and your set. The blower sits a bit higher but nothing my 3 in. cowl didn't take care of and that was on a 86 4eye coupe. As far as the teflon you're right on that and it does make a huge difference as my friend had a Weiand at the same time I had my 144 and his chevy motor sounded rough and didn't perform as well as mine.

18. jmccart

so maybe i shouldnt run the 144?

19. slowfox

I looked in the holley master catalog and they don't offer the spacer plates for a 351(as of the last printing) I guess u can make some or if B&M used to make some see if u can find an old set from them

I had( 174 powercharger) the 10 rib pulleys on mine and the belt allways wanted to walk off the front of the blower and the tensioner because the tensioner had some twisting issues inside the round tube it slides in/out of. I had to take the set screw out of the back of it which screws into the outer housing(stationary)and rides in a small slot in the inner shaft that keeps the inner shaft from sliding all the way out(spring loaded) of the outer housing and replace it with a longer one so the threads went inside the groove instead of the other screw with the tip being turned down slick(threads removed). That way it wouldn't rotate forward as much to feed the belt off the front of the top pulleys. It did it after a WOT run in only a couple of gears every time before the forementioned modification.

It had alot of shitty designs like the tensioner, half of the water outlet intersects with the blower snout. Had to notch the mount bracket for the tensioner and chop about 2" off of the outlet and run AN fittings/braided top rad hose so I could retain the thermostat and the water by-pass hose. I also had to make a plate to re route the serp belt under the blower and move the serp belt tensioner cause the snout is now were the factory belt and tensioner ran. They give you Ford bracket and pulley part# for that but Ford discontinued them so u have to go to the junk yard and se if you can even find them. If u went with a standard ratation water pump and V-belts you'd probably be in the clear.

It was a big PITA for not as much results as I was promiced(and yes we tuned it till I was ready to puke) It only gave me 8 10ths in the 1/8 mile.

20. jmccart

well i just wanna see 11s is this asking to much of this blower?