1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1 Fuel pump vs 2 smaller pumps PLanning fuel system for 1000whp

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by zildjian4life218, Apr 10, 2016.

1. zildjian4life218

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of helping a friend price out a turbo LS swap for his camaro. Currently has a big block with a lot of nitrous. It makes around 950-975 at the wheels.

He is wanting to keep power levels around the same and I am trying to consider the pros/cons of running 1 big pump vs 2 smaller pumps.

He will be running an MS3 pro so I can easily trigger the second pump off of a variety of conditions like MAP, TPS, RPM whatever I want. There will be additional complexity with plumbing and wiring the 2 pumps.

With one big pump will there be issues with heat in the fuel for it being circulated all the time and the extra electrical load running the 1 big pump all the time? Fuel system with have a return line. I am thinking either 10 or 12 AN feed and either 8 or 10 return.

I am thinking a pair of these.
    http://www.deatschwerks.com/product...ps/dw350il-universal-in-line-fuel-pump-detail
    I have one running on an LS swapped S10 that I helped build and have had no complaints.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    Shane

2. Mnlx

If its more of a street car, staged twin pumps makes plenty of sense, but if mostly race, or race only, the simplicity of the single is nice. With twins there is always that possibility of a single pump, or electrical issue that you may not catch until its too late.

3. zildjian4life218

It is race only so as you said the one pump makes more sense incase there was an issue wiht the second pump coming online.

What are you guys running for big single pumps?

4. Mnlx

What fuel, and how much boost to make your 1k goal?

5. zildjian4life218

116 but I want to get him to switch to alcohol. But unfortunately will require him to go much bigger on both injectors and pump.

I am guessing around 25. Will not know 100% until it is on the dyno though.

6. Forcefed86

Either way is fine. 2 pumps will be cheaper/quieter /easier IMO.

At $125 each, it’s pretty hard to beat the new AEM 380lph inline pumps. I’d run 2 of them over the ones you posted. With the proper AFR safety systems in place, you shouldn’t need to worry much with multiple pump setups. If my commanded AFR varies more than ½ point from my map it shuts off spark. Super easy to setup on the MS3. I run my setups around 10.8 at big boost on E85 anyway, so leaning out ½ a point isn’t going to hurt the engine and will shut it down if the pumps weren’t able to keep up for whatever reason.

You can also PWM control a “big” single fuel pump with the MS3 and an SSR relay. This will keep the heat and noise levels down. The 4303 magnafuel pump is pretty killer. It would supply plenty of fuel on C16. It also is rated for continuous duty. I don’t PWM mine and run e85 the 900ish HP range with it. Great pump. Kinda loud but I street dirve mine all the time.