1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuel pump for oil scavenging.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by furchaser, Apr 26, 2009.

1. furchaser

Someone must have tried this before ? I was thinking today while I was looking for my fuel pump block off plate. " I wonder if anyone has used a mechanical block mounted fuel pump as a scavenging pump for a low mount ? "
    Thoughts ?
    Ideas ?
    Would it work ? :huh:

2. Scotty B

I was wondering the same, only with electric fuel pump. I have a couple holley blues laying around. My fear was the seals being able to handle the higher temps. Buna is good for 160 degrees, Viton 200+. Not sure what is used in a fuel pump.

3. gtrpwr

would be a huge strain on the pump. They make electric oil scavenge pumps for this reason

4. furchaser

Why would it be a huge strain on the pump ? Catch can off turbo drain and the pump drawing from it . Engine oil being thicker of course but I don't think it would be that bad.

Carry on.

5. livefast1

i've seen people use electric ones, don't see why a mechanical wouldn't work though.

6. Ssmonte408

maybe test it out, fill up a bucket with oil and with the motor running see if it will pump it through.

7. gtrpwr

It would be much worse for two reasons. the oil will be thicker.
    The biggest reason it wont work well if the heat. Most electric pumps are cooled by the fuel, the oil is going to be around 100c.

8. Nisan_Catron

I have been thinking about doing something similar on a remote mount.

Using a fully syn oil , like a 0w-20 so it's super thin and using something like a GM submersible fuel pump from a 96 vortec in the oil sump and making that oil system fully independent of the rest of the system (ie, the turbo has it's own standalone oil system). I have already acquired the fuel pump, the turbo, BOV, wastegate etc...

any takes on that idea?

9. Lil Big Mec

10. testchimp

My turbo gsxr 1100 sportbike uses a cheap $35.00-45.00 inline fuel pump to return the oil to the crankcase. It has been working for years without any issues. The bike is air/oil cooled and they run around 240-260* temps. It gets street riden often and runs hot and i have never had an issue, the turbo is completely horizontal to the crankcase also.

11. furchaser

Some good info here . :2thumbs:

12. furchaser

I said a mechanical block mount fuel pump.

13. twin74s

I used my holley red for tranfering waste oil for years. i dont see why it wouldnt work for this too.

14. 10secgoal

Subscribing, if there any more users out there. Save this thread for later :hmm: Would prefer a mechanical over electric for something like this.