1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

01 Cummins help

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Bubba66, May 26, 2014.

1. Bubba66

How can I get my turbo to spool up faster so I'll have a little better acceleration when pulling a loaded trailer?
    The tuck is an 01 2500 4x4, and occasionally I need to pull a 35' goose-neck with a tractor/shredder combo.
    When trying to get out of a field, or starting up an incline even on pavement it is really putting a strain on the driveline to get up to hwy speed.
    It has 204K miles a 3.5" exhaust system straight thru with muffler/cat deleted, K&N filter, and Air-Dog 150 fuel pump.
    Is there a different turbo that might help building the boost quicker without everything else being changed as well?
    I might also mention that I'm on a fixed income,(Social Security) and limited funds..
    Any hope for this??

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

A handheld flash tuner can accomplish this. Edge and Bully Dog have pretty decent offerings, they run about $369-$379 if I recall correctly.

3. Bubba66

Thanks Ken...I do have the SuperChips programmer, and it did help a little.
    Having a problem using it now due to having to borrow a buddy's truck to pull the trailer to San Antonio in March.
    Even though I uninstalled the program from Ron's truck, the tuner is still vin locked to his truck leaving me dis-advantaged.(by my own doing)
    I was hoping an upgraded turbo might help without relying on the tuner...It takes 10 min to change programming (when it works).
    Do you think changing the turbo would help without a lot of additional parts, and breaking the piggybank in the process?

4. TDmkr496

You can do a boost fooler, that will have your turbo make more boost. Its an elbow that screws into the compressor housing. Other than than your into big bucks for a compound turbo setup.

5. Bubba66

Thanks again....guess I'll do a little Google-Fu and see if I can get a pic of the boost fooler setup!

6. TDmkr496

Do your have a cold air intake on it?

7. Bubba66

Not yet...It has a K&N in the factory box...Would a cold air setup help much?

8. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Most every vehicle made in the past 15-20 years has a "cold" air intake including the 5.9L. No OEM designs a system to draw in hot under hood air.

9. Bubba66

Guessing you're probably right on that.
    It is attached on the inner wheel house, and pulls air thru a hole in the fender...I was thinking that you were referring to one of the aftermarket cold air kits with rerouted round tubing and a conical type air filter...ala Air Aide, K&N, Holley..
    I'm still jogging my way thru some articles on the boost foolers..and add-ons to help it get spooling faster and add fuel as well.
    Thanks again, and I'll check back after more searching...I think I'm at least headed the right direction. :coolio: