1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Runing without a bov

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 91foxj, Nov 15, 2007.

1. 91foxj

I just got my turbo kit for my car and it is set up to run without a BOV. Does it work ok like this or what should i do about it?

Thanks James

2. 86lxnotch

add one to the kit, your turbo will thank you

3. Mike SVOR

If I remember correctly, 5 to 6 psi of boost doesn't 'require' a bov. But it is always nice to have one anyways, even at that level. Anything above that psi requires it for drivability issues, like trailer-hitching.

Are you asking about a blow off valve or a bypass valve type system?

4. Fletch124

Your going to need a bov at any amount of boost. Well unless you have a ton of money and your only going to the track with it and you dont mind replacing turbos all the time then go ahead.

5. PEARL MUSSIN

I never ran one on my old set-up and never had any problems. If you have an auto you will be ok but with a stick you will need one.

Jeremy

6. streetone01

youll be fine without one around 5lbs like mike said, but anymore and youll def need it

7. Mike SVOR

The garrett T3 turbos that came on the thunderbirds, SVOs, Merkurs and Cougars were set factory at 15 psi with no blow-off or bypass valve. No harm ever came to the turbos because of it either.

Blow-off and bypass valves are more for drivability, reducing the trailer hitching effect caused from long boost pipes and draw through air meters placed long distances away from the T/B.

8. D347643

streettone01 ahahahha at your avatar that is fucking awesome

9. Turbocharged88LX

Im running 12psi 612RWHP without one... no problems

10. rickyhaiber

For $200 (or even much less depending on what kind you buy) I would say just run one....no reason not to.

Hell look around and you might find something used for cheap around $100 easily instead of taking the risk of damaging your turbo--which will obviously cost much more than the blow-off valve...even the high-quality ebay turbos lol.

11. niels04cobra

I've always wondered if our cars really need one too... the gn guys making gobs of horsepower and 9 second time slips don't run one. I run bov's on my car, but why do we really need them.

12. 55Belair

I did not have one on initially but added one after the first drive. The compressor surge sounded bad, so I put one on. The surge is gone and it sounds cool when the BOV opens 8). I would just put one on.

13. GTTURBO88

+1 great avatar

14. GTTURBO88

I know a lot of you guys have heard of Lee Howie. He had many turbocharged vehicles that ran from 9's all the way down into the 7's and he never ran a BOV on any of em. Not sure if there is any sort of advatage to not running one. I personally run one on my setup, but its obviously not a necessity.

15. rtz

After hearing the BOV fire off on each shift at 9lbs; I couldn't imagine making the turbo try and grind up that air without one. I imagine that would be quite a load on the compressor shaft and these MP70's at one time weren't exactly known for their shafts strength. I wouldn't run without one.

At least put something on it:

[​IMG]#ad

Search on eBay for something cheap.

16. gotageta5oh

Exactly..

I put 215k on my t-bird with out one single turbo problem. I was seeing 18psi on occasion as well.

17. rtz

Maybe the situation is different with small turbos as compared to larger ones?

Think about a PT101 with no BOV. That's quite a large impeller compared to the dremel sized one in a T3.

What about those Monster turbos that were snapping shafts? Maybe that was just do to the inertia from the large wheels..

"All these new 114mm. Please hear the warning. The first 114mm we had broke in a FEW passes.(don't remember exactly the # of passes).The thing made 73lbs of back pressure it sheared the shaft clean into. Steve Petty and my self came to the conclusion that it needs more than one blowoff. When it broke was at the finish line as soon as he shut the throttle. It ran FLAWLESSLY til then. When we got it back for more testing we had installed (2) procharger bov's @ the turbo itself. Never had another problem w/ it. We did also break a 106mm the same way last year at a local track. It occurred at the same place the finish line as he got out of it. Steve seemed to think that the back psi and compressor surging back out on a large exwheel twists the shaft. Both of the turbos looked as if you sawed the shaft through, in the same place (from the center section forward the turbo's looked brand new). I'm saying that I don't believe there was any trouble w/ the turbo's but w/ not having enough BOV's on the car. I know you people don't know me in here but ,we run our single hard. In 2005 we ran a 4.58 w/ a 101mm f trim in Huntsville in the fall. We ran a string of low 4.50's @ 165mph. Please take this as a warning add some bov's at the turbo.

18. D347643

id be willing to bet that almost all of those guys runnin without one are running autos

19. rickyhaiber

20. D347643

holy shit we actually agree on something