1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PCV once again

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by rtz, Oct 22, 2007.

1. rtz

I searched and must have read upwards of 50 threads. Based on all that:

Leave the PCV valve installed but open. Put a small filter on it?

Cap the tube on the throttle body.

Cap the tube on the oil filler neck.

Install a thread on filter.

What about that other valve cover?

2. enyawix

book marking I want to see this myself

3. Explorer5.0

I have my PCV setup as it came, but with a vented oil cap.

4. Daddy

cracks fingers

O.K. here's how I have mine setup, I went with the simplest approach from the beginning. Check valve inline with the stock PCV valve, nipple removed from passengers side filler neck and ran to a catch can with a breather on it. Simple enough, has worked fine for others, unfortunately doesn't work for shit for me.

My next setup will be this. Stock PCV valve with check valve inline to it. PCV line removed from upper intake and tee'd off to in front of both turbos, somewhere on this line will be an oil separator. Passenger side VC and Drivers Side VC line tee'd together into my catch can with breather. This is about as close to a stock setup as I can get and hopefully I don't get any more crankcase pressure.

By the way, here's a couple of "good" PCV threads I've saved.

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32725.msg0#new
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58124.msg602495#new
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64489.msg671025#new
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64973.0

Note I haven't tried this myself so I don't know how it works.

Good luck, there's about two handfuls of ways to setup the PCV system and all of them have seemed to work on one persons car or another. Hard part is picking the right one for you.

5. booksix

Could someone briefly explain the problem that exists and if you have experience please touch on how well the Incon system worked (seems to have left the pcv system stock). I am also watching this thread because I've been trying to find solid/good answers as well...

6. BOSs5.0

In a turbocharged application and especially any high performance application you have 2 problems

1. The supercharger/turbocharger is now pushing air into the engine, which means ANY outlets coming off the pressure side will of course see pressure. So, anything attached to the throttle body, manifold, and after the compressor housing will be seeing pressure. Lots of people forget this and end up with an engine bay full of oil as it will pressurize your entire engine, and the only real outlet it can find is the dip stick hole.

2. Most high performance engines will have a build up of blow-by. It really needs to escape as it has been tested that an engine crankcase under negative pressure will help seal the rings.

So you really should cap all pcv outlets of the "intake tract" and either vent the pcv tubing from the engine's crankcase to the atmosphere.. which will probably lead to an oil covered engine bay or run them to a catch can. You can also run the lines to the inlet side of your turbo, for added negative pressure ring sealing, but it really coats the internal tubing and intercooler lots of grease/oil build-up.

I'm sure the above could be clearer..

7. rtz

So cap the PCV valve instead of putting a breather on it so the transmission doesn't get coated in oil?

8. D347643

dude just tie the pcv and the nipple on the valve cover together and run a line to a catchcan. If that still doesnt work then put a rubber grommet on your other valve cover and tee that in also. I skipped all the bullshit inline check valve stuff and my setup works perfectly.

BTW summit sells poly catchcans for less than 30 bucks.

9. BOSs5.0

My "explanation" is pretty horrible up above.

Please listen to D347643

10. booksix

Why can't you run the PCV to the valve cover and SKIP the catch can?

11. D347643

haha because there will be nowhere for the crankcase to vent to, thats like sticking your dick up your own ass. . Do you not understand "why" you need to vent the crankcase??

12. Daddy

Actually if all you're doing is venting the PCV valve to atmosphere (catch can) then there is no need to even run the PCV valve as there's no vacuum acting on it to do anything.

To properly take advantage of the PCV valve and not worry about boost going through it you have to run it to a vacuum only source, which in our case is directly in front of the turbo. A check valve inline to a PCV valve that is post turbo is a safe guard to keeping the boost from going through the PCV valve, problem is it doesn't always work for every vehicle. I'm going to run a check valve inline to my PCV valve when I redo my setup only because I have twin turbos and occasionally get the low boost compressor surge.

13. D347643

true but the pcv valve perfectly in the back of the intake and already has a nipple on it. BY venting the crankcase completely im also keeping intake cleaner. Why don't you stop beating around the bush and vent the whole crankcase??

14. Daddy

What's so wrong with this? I want better ring seal which is why I want to run the PCV valve. Plus both valve covers will be vented to a catch can. If you know a better way to vent the crankcase AND get the vacuum in there for better ring seal, I'm all ears.

15. D347643

I have heard that you need the crankcase fully vented or closed and recirculated because if you are pulling vacuum through the crankcase (via pcv line) it can pull unmetered air through the valve covers that you have vented to a catchcan

16. Daddy

I'm running MS, not a MAF so I'm not too concerned about the unmetered air part, but for someone running a MAF that is a viable concern.

17. D347643

well then sounds like a nice setup :2thumbs:

18. booksix

Oops, oh yeah... I wasn't thinking... But I'm confused what you're saying... the way I interpret it is:

pcv connected to valve cover with a T in between... a hose off the T connects to a catch can...? I'm guessing I just misunderstand what you're trying to say...

19. D347643

yeah thats what im trying to say, sorry for the confusion.

20. booksix

no sweat! just wanted to check... so it would require a catch can with to inlets (one for the hose to the T and one for atmosphere)?