1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Best head gasket for TT-302

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by hostilewes, Aug 23, 2007.

1. hostilewes

So the stock head gasket did not make it 3 days. I need to replace them with one that is going to stay in place. Im also going to use studs when i put the heads back on. What is the best head gaskets to use. These blew at only 11lbs of boost.

2. TT_05_Stang

3. hostilewes

well, ok, thanks!

4. superchargedgt

There are many people running stock head gaskets at 15-20 psi if your tune up is off they wont last.cometics is a good gasket any mls gaskets are good but your gaskets are like a fuse if they dont go something else might like a piston and other internals its all in the tune up.

5. azkickr

I have been running stock head gaskets for years and still to this day have never blown one. All many turbo 302's driven on a regular basis and I run 20psi sometimes even on the street. I think of the stock head gasket as a fuse.

6. hostilewes

Well my car was tuned. It blew the gasket from the #3 cylinder to the water port right next to it. Everytime i made boost it emtpyed the coolant out of the radiator. Coud it have just been a bad head gasket from the start?

7. rickyhaiber

Get some new gaskets and check the tune before you drive it again. You could have a bad tune and you need to check to make sure you don't.

8. hostilewes

it was just tuned, are you saying go back and spend $500 to do it again? The guy has tuned my other 2 cars. I trust the tune.

9. rickyhaiber

I don't really give a fuck what you do. I am just making a suggestion because something obviously went wrong and it's not worth taking a chance on unless you like changing head gaskets on a turbo mustang...cuz I don't.

If he has tuned all these said cars for you in the past, and tuned this one that blew a gasket, then if he's a decent guy he'd probably just look at it to make sure the AFR is at a safe level before you go and blow the gaskets AGAIN. And if you find out that the AFR is not safe you will be happy you found out rather than just ignore that there might be a problem. And, if the tune is alright, then atleast you know it won't be a problem.

PS - Next time you should put this kind of question in the "newbie section" since it belongs there...

10. cadillac adam

Same thing was happening on my brother's nitrous car. All was good on motor, but on the juice it would fill the overflow jug on one pass. Found the stock heads were warped about .009". Had the heads surfaced, installed head studs, and used ROL graphite ($35 pair) gaskets. No problems after about 40 bottle passes now! I'm also using the same gaskets and studs on my turbo car without a problem for a year and a half now. Make sure the deck and head surfaces are flat........

11. pxr5

Where's the best place to get ROL graphite gaskets, carn't find them here in the UK, have tried Summit & PAW. thanks