1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Best Short Block

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Shoey, Apr 21, 2007.

1. firstonraceday

where did you hear that???

2. BringIt10s

Hear what ?

Its pretty obvious .. when they sell the 900 block they hype up that the manley rods are made in the US. When they hype up the 600 block with " MMR Rods " they go through the shot peened and magnafluxed and this and that.

Manny at HPP had a MMR Oil Pump in his engine and it let go a few weeks ago. Called MMR .. nope never seen a failure before. Houston Performance - Had a Failure in a customer's car, two weeks prior, when they called MMR - Nope never seen a failure before. You would think on the second time.. they might admit that there is hardly anything done to thier gears.

3. firstonraceday

Im not one to defend MMR or anything because well I dont own anything from them but I am researching a ton about their shortblocks currently and you are the first negative remark Ive heard so far.... Sounds like your not too fond of them.

4. ShaneH

I'm curious why you say that about their rods and pistons? Because they use chinese rods? 99% of the forged h beam rods in existence are from overseas now days.

5. JimVT

Roger that! :2thumbs:

Get that thing fired up yet??

6. BringIt10s

Its just weird that they over emphasize that the other ones are made in america. Yet these are rated at 600hp - that shows zero faith.

Don't worry about me.. my opinion is just that an opinion. I have a weird outlook on a few of the big shops, but I hear some of the trash that most dont...

7. ShaneH

I don't get why you think that shows zero faith. It's called marketing! I won't argue about the oil pumps, but the chinese rods(not just MMRs) have proven themselves time and again. Hell, I'd put most chinese H beams over Manley's. Mainly cause I've seen issues with Manley billets pullling the threads out.

Yeah, Jim. She fired up first push of the button. 95psi oil pressure. Crazy considering the rod side clearance with the aluminum rods. Going to the track Sunday.

8. big dave

Been running an MMR900 for over a year now ... at least 30k miles with pretty fair amount of abuse and it runs beautfully. One of there smoother running built motors I have used really. Not trying to "swing on their nuts" but! I can honestly say I know of several motors that were built by MMR that run quite well so, for me this is also the frist I have heard of any issues. In talking with Mark, I would think he'd stand behind any issues if it were a legitimate problem/their problem.

Just my thoughts.... I still say you CAN NOT go wrong with either MMR, VT and I'll add Al P to the list too. LOL :2thumbs:

9. firstonraceday

Is there any way to find boss 330s products... their website doesn't seem to have any info...

10. 32VGT

Not bashing MMR.. I have several mmr parts on my car.. But I have not heard good things about their shortblocks.. In the past couple weeks Ive heard of two bad mmr shortblocks..
    Pro-line is my choice.

11. BringIt10s

I saw you skipped right over the Oil Pump criticism

12. big dave

Dude, not to be a MMR nutswinger but this keeps being brought up and no one who does bring it up is the one who a) had the problem or b) can prove the problem was purely the pump.... so what is your argument? Anyone can just say "XYZ parts suck!" - can you support why you criticize their pumps besides what you got from the rumor mill? I'd be interested in knowing what facts there are that support the fact that the MMR pump is as much of a POS as you and one other have tried to portray it as.

The last guy came on and talked crap then couldn't back it up and the mods sent him packing.....

13. 32VGT

14. firstonraceday

Ill get a MMR Tattoo and paint MMR all over my car if you give me a shortblock :banana: :banana: :banana:. haha. From everyone I have talked to so far I am yet to hear one complaint from anything MMR this is the first. I know a few people who are currently running MMR shortblocks and would swear by them. Iam personally in the market for one and have had lots of help from MMr via e-mail... IMO there a great group and I own nothing from them as of yet.

15. JimVT

I agree with Mark...too many times a builder gets blamed for a problem when in all reality it was caused by something else. But because the motor broke, it's automatically the builders fault.

16. ShaneH

yeah, Jim. I hear ya. Which is why I feel it necessary to blame VT for my broken piston pins at the beginning of the year. It HAS to be YOUR fault that the torque converter bolt backed out and locked up the motor, right?!?!?! hehehehehe