1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What temp IAT are you guys running with A/A intercoolers?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Blown331hatch, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Blown331hatch

Just curious what kind of Intake temps you guys are seeing with front mount air to air intercoolers? I have a Vortech Igloo and was curious of how much cooler it is than an air to air. I see 90-100 deg through the traps currently and it will prob be a bit higher once I install the twin turbo setup.

2. Explorer5.0

If you have an A/W intercooler, why not install an ice box and run below ambient IAT's?

3. Blown347hatch

subscribing........

There was an excellent article in one of the Mustang mags where they built a carb'd blower pump gas motor that made 1077HP on pump gas and they had the air temps published as well.

4. Blown331hatch

I just was curious how well an A/A worked as I got a large A/A with my TT kit I bought.

5. Unatural

My Cartech system is not a very efficient design, with lots of bends in the tubing and a horizontal mount intercooler. The last time I was at the track, I datalogged an IAT of 106* at the beginning of the run and 179* when I let of the gas at the end of the track. That was with ~12.5-13#s of boost and no meth injection. I ran a 12.22 @ 117 on that run.

6. TwoFastT3s

I have a XO2 4"x10"x31" (Can't remember the exact size but close to that) with a stockblock setup/ PT-67 dual ballbearing and saw 90ish on a 55deg day @ or around 8psi. 8)

Nate

7. John Wilde

The lower the better, but I have been told to try and keep the temp under 120*.
    I will go and check some logs.

8. brian15

what are you guys using to log air temp ?

9. Unatural

I log mine with the Megasquirt.

edit: I also moved my IAT sensor into the fenderwell.

10. Millhouse

And almost as important, where?

The stock lower intake gave me IAT temps that were inaccurate and slow to respond (severe heatsoak). With the sensor located in the intake tubing around the fenderwell my temps stay around ambient. On long WOT freeway runs the temps will jump up to ~ 10* higher than ambient. This is with a 12x24x3 ebay special FMIC.

11. TwoFastT3s

I'll have to move mine, it's still in the lower intake. It's strange seeing 130-150 at idle, and 80-90 and WOT. :D

Nate

12. dman

personally i think having the sensor in the tubing leading up to the engine gives you a false reading. The air still has to pass thru that heat soaked lower intake, and the air will absorb some of that heat. My sensor is in the lower and on a cool night (55* +) i'm seeing 100* IAT at 20psi (with my meth spraying ofcoarse. I have one of the 4" thick core China intercoolers front mounted.

13. Millhouse

Even though the reading may not be 100% accurate...I'd venture to say it's far closer to actual than the stock location. Although the upper/lower intakes hold a ton of heat, the actual heat transfer to the engines air supply (not reffering to the band) is not as high as you would think IMHO. The biggest difference in air temps comes into play when you let the engine idle for long periods of time, or when you shut the vehicle off and return shortly to re-start it.

I was having some issues tuning my megasquirt for this very reason. The megasquirt usues the actual IAT temps as part of the fueling equation. A heatsoaked, slow responding IAT reading simply won't do. The stock ECU however relies on the MAF sensor to read air density. The heat difference in the air is read by the MAF which negates the need for the IAT sensor for everything except ignition retarding.

14. Dustin11

I've seen a/a temps on mid 8 second cars under 110 degree with a proper sized a/a. My liquid is usually around 110 also. With a bigger cooler and pump I could lower that 40 degrees easily. A buddy has a PT3000 with the big Meziere pump and his temps are in the 60's even in the low 8's.

15. Gen1SVE

I am running DFI gen 7 in a 95 lightning. With the IAT sensor in the stock location and it works fast. As soon as I crack the throttle the IAT drop. Power Stroke Intercooler, PT74GTS. On the dyno the temperature was dropping throught the enire run, 9lbs. It since is set to 15lbs. An accurate air temperature reading as close to the intake valve as possible is the most best representation of what is going into the chamber. Get a fast acting sensor and put it in the stock location. I don't others ECU logic, how many temperatue readings/time. Hopefully they are close to one another and a new sensor will help with a fester reading.

16. TT_05_Stang

wow my brain hurts after reading that post...

17. Bellman Jeff

For what ??? Pump gas.. With race gas, non intercooler supercharged Renegade cars run IAT's over 300 degrees.. And they are running in the mid 8's at near 160..

18. slow_svo

On my svo the iat when moving is usally within 10degrees of ambient. If you idle in traffic mine heat soaks a bit because I haven't properly boxed the intercooler and radiator.

On the dyno with a big fan on it the intake temps never crossed 100 degrees. At the track it's about 10 above but never really climbs even though more boost is added. Last pass I checked iat was an 11.7@127 with a temp of 102 but it 90 degrees outside.
    have the temp sensor mounted in front of the tb as to avoid it reading super hot at idle because of lack of air flow. When it was in the lower intake I would see temps in the 160-170 range and once into boost it would drop off very quickly.
    This is with the big npr intercooler at 30psi. The current location of my iat sensor is about 14 inches ahead of the runner.