1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1990 MAF sensor with a t70 turbo 5-6 psi I NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 1990 boostang, Mar 8, 2007.

1. 1990 boostang

I have 1990 mustang gt. It has maf censor on it. I bought a t70 turbo and a kit. I have a wahlbro 255 in tank fuel pump with stock injectors. I have msd 6al ignition and blaster 2 coil. I was wondering what you done with the maf sensor? Do i unhook it? I didnt know if you could still use it with boost. Also how much boost can a all stock 5.0 HO take. I also have tremec 5spd with only 3,000 miles on it. I might sell it for the price if anybody is interested. You will need a adapter for the bell housing. How much hp can a stock 5.0 produce on 6psi.

2. turbo crazy

help us out is it a blow thru or draw thur style kit? You need to have the sensor plug in it may not work well in a blow thru kit. I wouldnt recommend more then 10-14 psi but it also depends on your timing and fuel type and tune. As for power say 320 on 6psi. I would suggest getting rid of the stocker 19lbs inj and looking into a after maket mass air meter especially with a blow thru kit

3. 1990 boostang

What style is better? Blow through or pull through. I had a mechanic here in town tell me that my motor will hold no more than 6psi all stock. He said if i put anymore boost to it the head gasket would blow. I was thinking like 7 or 8psi when i bought the kit.

4. turbofreek

my stock motor make 382 rwhp and 435 rwtq on 6psi. with a mpt70 .68 housing. non-intercooled
    your stock injectors are not going to work. i know ive tried allready with my stock 24s. im sure you have 19's if its not a cobra, which will make it even more unreachable. get some injectors and maf meter for them and the kit you have. i lifted a head at 6psi and destroyed my engine. you maybe ok, but its hit or miss if it holds up in the headgasket area.
    your car will not run without the maf meter without a standalone efi computer system that is speed density :2thumbs:

5. PowerAddict

not to whore here, because its an elaborative addition to the orignal post.

But I'm confused on what MAF to get for a blow thru, thats the way I want to run it. What am I looking for when shopping for blow through meters? Will the 90mm lightening MAF work?

6. DaOnE51T

Like everyone said, You'll need to buy bigger injectors and a matching maf. Personally, I have 42lbs injectors with a matching blow thru 3" Pro-M tube.

7. notched306

i also have the 3 in pro-m tube and 42lb injectors and love it.im pushing 12psi through a mp-t70

8. superchargedgt

c&l blow thru and 42# injectors

9. turbofreek

wrong-o c&ls are a hit and miss type of deal. better off getting a pmas built for "your" setup. its nto a off the shelf meter like c&l's is. :2thumbs:

10. 1990 boostang

Can i just unhook my MAF censor and run it that way.

11. Turbo93coupe

I myself ran 42Lb injectors with a C&L 76mm. I had good luck with my C&L, but it took a little adjustment as far as rotating the meter clockwise/counterclockwise to get the best idle/part throttle driveability out of it. I made sure I had at least 9" of straight piping in front of it as well. Its not so much the amount of boost you run, but the horsepower the car will make. One thing you do not want to do is skimp out on is the fuel and mass air, along with a tune. My car made 450/480 at 14psi with a stock motor and a good tune. Get rid of those stock injectors and mass air, get some 42's and a good blow-thru like the guys mentioned above.

12. turbofreek

NO! :2thumbs:

13. 1990 boostang

So will my stock maf work under boost

14. turbofreek

no

and you cant run without a maf meter.

15. 1990 boostang

So how do these guys say they can turbo a mustang with 5.0 efi for under 400.00 if you still have to by ecu and crap

16. Lincs 84 351

Because they are fuckin liars!! That can't be done, period....unless parts are given to you for free, and that doesn't count.

1) MAF meters will peg out at 5 volts when the max airflow is reached. You DO NOT want that to happen
    (engine goes lean and goes boom)

2) MAF will peg out sooner in blow through than in draw through.
    If you do draw through, you can't run a blow-off valve that vents to the air, is has to vent between the MAF and turbo inlet.

3) stock injectors CAN NOT flow enough fuel to supply an engine under boost

4) stock head bolts are TTY and must be replaced when swapping gaskets because they stretch.
    ALSO, you must have the heads checked for flatness when changing blown gaskets, or the new gaskets will just blow again!!

5) Sure, run with out a MAF. While you are at it, unplug any four plugs wires.
    If you want the car to run like shit, may as well do it right.....Right? :D

17. D347643

1990 boostang you need to do a little more research before throwing your kit together. running 19lb injectors and unhooking your maf are very scary statements. Spend a month or two and read through the tons of threads that are on this site and plan your kit a little better. Hell even if you still dont understand how a maf works you will still know what works and what other people have used successfully. rushing stuff like this and you might end up needing to buy a new shortblock, ya know? good luck though

Drew

18. D347643

oh and btw i had a thead about my build with a t70, search for it, it has pics and all the stuff i used. Make sure you get a big wastegate also if you plan on pushing low boost, that way you you can run 5psi or adjust it to run 15 and you wont have any problems.

19. Turbostang91

hey invest on the injectors and maf or you will be changing head gasket everytime you go and race the car. I had a 73 c&l with 24lbs inj. i made 414hp with basic hci and i changed head gasket a few times then i got some 36lbs inj. 80mm maf i havent change a head gasket since, good luck

20. arnold23

you're pictures no longer work :(