1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SS autochrome kit how good are they?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 69ranchero351c, Jan 23, 2007.

1. 69ranchero351c

How good are the autochrome kits i wanna take off my 174 b&m and go with turbos and i figure for the price it is its gotta be as good as a JY kit but alot less headache let me now what you think Thanks. :)

2. Explorer5.0

Please use the search function, this same question has been asked MANY times here.

3. LITTLETWIN

i'll help you out it's garbage stay away but thats just my 02.cent's :2thumbs:

4. TurboShortBus

Maybe it's a good idea to have a new requirement that you have to have at least 10 posts in the Newbie forum before you can post anywhere else.

Mark

5. turbostang

Like the guys said above, search grasshoppa. I'll even narrow it down some, search ebay turbo under my name. I don't think they are junk though, I own one and No, it's not on my car yet..but it will be soon. I am also going to get the turbos looked at this week... check my thread for updates.

6. Mike Gager

what makes you think they are garbage?

7. Explorer5.0

Lots of people are having great luck with them. I personally have a "super T70" on my truck that I got from another board member. I was planning on replacing it at first, but it is working perfectly. Even a crappy turbo will give him better results than his 174 heater, I mean blower. And the cheap hot-side kits still look better than alot of the DIY setups here, including mine. :)

8. LITTLETWIN

hands on experince with 2 of there turbo's on 2 diffrent car's and they both gave head achs and lot's of issue's :eek:

oh and another friend bought the header kit for his car and the weld's blow open and they didnt want to fix them for him and they were only about 50 mile's old maybe 3 weeks :2thumbs:

9. TurboShortBus

My buddy used to run a Nissan 240SX shop a few years ago. The SS headers were notorious for cracking, even the naturally aspirated ones (that didn't have a 15 pound turbo hanging off of them).

Mark

10. TurboShortBus

But, above all else, remember that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you want cheap shit, and you're aware that you're getting cheap shit, and that makes you happy, then you should be fine. Maybe a lot of people feel that they should pay 5 cents for a part and expect multimillion dollar quality, which isn't realistic.

Mark

11. Heedzup

No good..Save your money and go for a Ponydown kit or B&G kit..My budy had the ss kit and it didn't even last two months.

12. LowDime

13. Daddy

:dito:

By far the best post I've read when answering the continuously mentioned "How good are Ebay turbos?" thread. I will definately be quoting this and adding it to threads like these in the future.

14. rickyhaiber

The point is that you get what you pay for and that's fine if someone here and there has had good luck with it. But when 1 out of 1,000,000 people get a good product you're more likely to get somethign shitty. You might be that 1 in a million that get something that doesn't break, but you probably won't be lucky enough and why not save up a few more $ and get the basic B&G kit where you will get pipes that he guarantees and a good turbo, wastegate, blow-off, etc.

What is the price of the ebay turbo kit you are asking about?

15. 69ranchero351c

16. gobtool

I wouldn't take the SS AutoChrome site too seriously. If you look around much on Ebay you'd see that they sell all kinds of car crap. Take some time to look over their feedback. They act real childish if anybody leaves them negative feedback. If you have a problem with something then your pretty much screwed.

17. mustangmike45

SSAC products are pure junk. Spend a little more money the first time you buy and it will save you tons in the long run. My buddy ran one of there kits on his eclipse gsx and it ran pretty damn hard for about a week and then when he tried upping the boost from 12lbs to 22lbs the bearings crapped out in the turbo... lucky his motor didn't get damaged but he was still out the 350.00 for the turbo!

18. Tbird232ci

Wether the SSautochrome products are junk or not, Id spend the extra couple hundred for a good warranty and customer support. I spent 900 bucks on my internally gated SC50, and Precision has been nothing but awesome to me, even when i kinked the oil return line, they fixed it for free.

19. dragvw2180

When I first went turbo on my race car I wanted to see what was inside a turbo so I purchased an extremely cheap t3/t4 turbo ( from SSAUTOCHROME ) and dismantled it ( I did referance mark everything before tearing it down) . I actually removed the journal bearings to see the oiling system and was suprised how goodl it looked. I am NOT saying I have or ever would use one on my expensive engine ( my new turbo is a Garrett that I built ) but I can see where someone on a limited budget or who wants to see if a certain inducer and exducer combination at low boost would work before they spend $1500.00 on a quality turbo.

20. Rickracer

I don't have anything bad to say about their products, only had one experience, but their customer service was BAD. I ordered a pair of v-bands off their site, based on their dimensions, when they got to me, it turned out they had the I.D. listed as O.D., so they were too small, I looked and looked on their site, and couldn't find the right ones, emailed them repeatedly several times over a period of a few weeks, then finally bought the right stuff from Race Parts Solutions, contacted Ebay to get a refund from SSAUTOCHROME. They FINALLY answered my emails, and were REALLY NASTY, suggesting that I must be inbred, being from Florida and all, and crap like that. If I'd been able to go see that person in person, I would have knocked a few of their teeth out!!! I forwarded all of that info to Ebay, so SOME of their bad feedback is mine, and they DEFINITELY earned it.