1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Best head gasket for my application?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by boosted_blazerr, Feb 2, 2006.

1. boosted_blazerr

What would be the best head gasket for my setup with a Dart Little M and Victor Jr. Heads? Approx 30psi of boost from a pt101.

Thanks

Scott

2. fastwhite86gt

holy hell are you looking to fly?

3. boosted_blazerr

Why do you ask that? If you are talking because of the heads, dont worry,they are fully ported.. ;)

4. fastwhite86gt

i ask bc that is alot of boost from HUGE turbo lol. i bet your car could fly if it had wings. sorry i cant help u i'm a ford guy. just complimenting your setup :2thumbs:

5. nitrus1

this is just a comment but if it was me just to be safe i would pay the extra money and o ring the block deck and run a copper head gasket

tim

6. boosted_blazerr

Thanks for the thought, but I want to stay away from the locwire gaskets.... MLS technology should be good enough to seal boost, I will prolly call Cometic and get one, or just buy the SCE Titans.....

7. boosted_blazerr

has anyone heard any good news about the new cometic gas filled MLS gaskets? They have a gas filled ring around the cylinder bore, and it reacts with heat and expands, so say your head lifts, the gasket will expand and stop the leak... if anyone has any reviews of these new ones would be awesome.

8. TurboNova

Buy the SCE ICS gaskets they are a multi layer gasket with a stainless o-ring built into them, Ken Duttweiler did tests for them at 43psi with no o-rings in the block or heads and they held. This was on a small block chevy. I use the SCE Titans now but if I could do it over I would use the ICS gaskets. The people at SCE are great and have been very helpful. I have used Cometic also but have had some leakage issues inbetween the layers. They seem to seal fine but we have had some signs on the outside of the heads.

9. nitrus1

now this is interesting i have never heard of these gaskets ..

how much are they for a sb chevy and do you have a web site where to get them im kinda old school copper this copper chat lol lmao :angel:

tim

10. boosted_blazerr

11. TurboNova

12. jdpepper

SCE Titans :2thumbs:

13. boosted_blazerr

How long will the SCE's last for a street strip car, I always hear that copper gaskets work well, but dont last long.

14. TurboNova

That is the first I have ever heard that. I would go with the ICS and not the Titans unless you already have your block o-ringed then the Titan gaskets are what you should use.

15. MEAN_SBC

Damn... I'm gonna have to keep the ICS's in mind.... They look pretty good! :2thumbs:

16. jdpepper

17. boosted_blazerr

which one can be used for the 400 application, looking on summits site all the ICS in 4.155 bore doesnt list the 400 (4.125) as an application?

Scott

18. TurboNova

Summit doesn't list all products for all manufacturers, just the most common ones. Call SCE. I have used several Titan standard bore 400 gaskets. I am sure they also have them in ICS.

19. boosted_blazerr

Ok thanks, now to my other question that no one has answered. What is the life of the ICS gaskets? How streetable, only drag? I would rather not replace my gaskets more 2 times a season.

20. Wet 1

I too have been eyeing up the ICS HG for a boosted LSx based project. My only concern is seeping and long term sealing for street use.

The gas filled Cometic HG also sounds interesting, but I heard they're like $500!