1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Started on my DIY MP T70 build *pics updated*

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Mad Beems, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Mad Beems

Whats up guys. First of all, I want to say thanks for the awesome forum. Best turbo information on the net. :D

Well, I just got started on my single build up. Actually, I should say that my buddy Leroy (juxtopposed on here) got started. I just don't have the tools or the skills for this stuff. I'm really excited though. This should be a fun setup!

The combo is:

stock shortblock
    edelbrock performer heads
    ported cobra intake
    65 mm throttle body
    ed curtis cam (not ground for a turbo setup)
    42 lb injectors with an 80 mm pro-m
    Master Power T-70 w/ .68 a/r
    Turbo XS 46mm Wastegate
    Greddy Type-S ebay knockoff bov
    ebay 24x12x4 one-sided intercooler
    ebay bbk knockoff 1 5/8 flipped shorties

anyway! on to the pics:

2. jmccart

Re: Started on my DIY MP T70 build *pics*

looks good, what kind of hp you shooting for?

3. 1Hot89Lx

Nice start to your project...should be a fun combo when finished. Be sure to keep this updated for all the DIYers here.

Justin

4. Mad Beems

I'm hoping for around 525 at the tires or so. I think that should be enough to get me into the 130 mph range in the 1/4.

5. jmccart

stick 302 block? thats pushing the limits of it, make sure you have a good tune on it

6. itllrun

nice start, your combo looks very similar to mine, keep up the good work

7. chris406

I think you should give up, it'll never work. It was a complete waste of my time going turbo.

j/k. It's going to fly man, I seem to remember in my buildup thread you said the same thing and I said that your days without a turbo were limited. Two words,,,,,, AUTO MATIC.

8. chris406

Any updates? Should be done pretty quick right?

9. PaulF

Looking good! Keep up the good work.

Tell us about the red Cobra I see in the background though, and pics too please!! :D

10. chris406

Are you who I think you are. For all that care the red Cobra kit car has a big block chevy in it with a 700r4 trans, 8.8 rear.

11. PaulF

Who do you think I am?

12. chris406

Well I read your sig, are you the guy that has the remote setup on the truck that Leroy knows? Maybe not you just made it seem like you already knew about the Cobra, and the guy who is doing this build up has a buddy with a new GM truck with an STS kit.

BACK ON TOPIC, Beemer, post some damn pics already.

13. PaulF

LOL! I just changed that sig after realizing how outdated it was.

The GMC I was planning on doing my own remote mount sytem on, not an STS. Sadly I got rid of it before I ever got started.

I'm just a guy who loves Cobra's. When I saw the Halibrand wheel and that signature fender flare I knew I was looking at a Cobra, hence my curiosity.

14. Mad Beems

Woo hoo! getting closer! here's some updated pics. :D

Here's a picture of the merge on the crossover

Another pic of the merge...

15. stockhatch

Very pretty. Nice welding job.

16. 1bad306

How difficult was the intercooler to mount? Did it require alot of trimming?

17. chris406

Looking good. Just call me when its time to start it.

18. Mad Beems

well folks, there's another running turbo mustang in the world. :D got it started up tonight! sounds awesome! just got a few little things to address and it'll be ready to hit the streets. i'll post some more pictures of the final product as soon as i can.

1bad306

the intercooler fits pretty well, we had to remove the bumper support and one of the support brackets. then all it needed was a little big of trimming on the bumper cover itself to clear around the end tanks and the intercooler pipes. fits great now. :D

19. StockblockTurbo

Nice setup..... Beems!!!! I see youve come to the dark side exactly like Me... Maybe in a few weeks we can line em up. stockblocks + turbo race cars !!! I love it....

Everything looks to be on par, except, one potential problem I see lies within the turbo you have chosen... 1st off you being a V8 master should know you should have never gotten a .68 Turbine housing that is way too small unless you want boost in like 1500-2000Rpms. . Everyone I have known has had their Master Power turbo blow up on them after 7 PSI so watch out. I have heard they are Good for street strip use so maybe they started building them quality. But so far looks like your doing well 11.64 @ 120 is not bad considering your motor doesnt have all its compression and plus You dont have to fill up N20 anymore !!!! Rematch this year Ill be ready..

20. frozenphil

You are misinformed.