1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

i am exploring puttin a supra 5 speed behine the 302tt

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Attatoy, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Attatoy

seems these trans take a good soilid beating, i am investgating the parts changover and if this can and will werk!
    what do yea think?

2. kstinson

Seems like an awful lot of money in custom parts to make it work. Probably be just as cheap to by a TKO-600.

3. Attatoy

Buy the looks of it it will just be a clutch disk , and a block of aluminum , as the input shaft is quiet long, The benifits are it is nicer shifting and frankly probley stronger or the same, If i can make this werk i am gathering that it will cost in the 600 dollar range!

4. Got N2O

:withstu:

5. Attatoy

there is a few factors that influence my decition....first a boosted supra is a heavy car that is powerfully , and not prone to trans problems, I do appreciate that debate, but would add that you should add why you think your reason is vallad. second, the bearings are huge compared to domestic junk,, weather it be a t-5 or t-56 , all of these are just a domestic based factory that build what they think will see......i think a factory could still build a better trans if there was more demand. The japs build great products. My case is prooven in the fact that 1000 hp supras run though stock transmissions. Now i was sold on the tko 600 till i read that every one that has one sells it or complainers that the shift like a old lady in an intersection!. SO i am gonna try to build the adapter to do this if the measurements are gonna work out.
    I have been a fan of import junk for a long time for the simple fact that most domestic company's build crappy products that do not last when compared with Japanese stuff. ford is Way better the Chev, but they still sell out compared to Honda and Toyota!

6. RebelGT

here's info on swapping the Supra Trannies behind different engines, I don't remember seeing anything about ford engines, but you this info might help you out anyway.

Link

When my T5 grenades, i'll probally make this swap too.

7. NCHorseplay

Yes there are powerful supras running the 5 speed but the fastest ones are running a 6-speed or an auto. But I think the biggest thing you are missing here is the real killer of all drivetrain components. TORQUE!! That is what does the damage to transmission and rear ends. High Horsepower, Low torque engines such as supras hit drivetrain parts a lot softer than motors that make a boatload of torque aka 302TT.

8. Got N2O

So it all boils down to bearing envy? Bearing failure isn't really a problem, it's shift forks/input shafts/output shafts/ gears. Nobody breaks a bearing with big power? Maybe you are thinking of the aluminum input bearing retainers on some t-5s that wear out fast? Still not a bearing problem. So you want bigger bearings... just to have them?

9. tonym

and a block of aluminum to make a bellhousing? how do you plan to match the bellhousing?

10. tom351

exactly...

11. Attatoy

fair enough with the tourque rtaeings, But the bearing points i was making is more in case flex and main shaft size ....the streanth is there where it counts, The tko is a strong trans, that i will not dought, i just look at it from the veiw of what it takes to brake it. The supra is fuckin heavy, and it is an inline 6 motor which is touque , granted the displament is a ittle different, but i have seen inside these trans, and they are big. My truck is light , and this is a great option for the price! Any one have a rating on the 6 speed?

Also , what is not touquey about 20 psi!
    I plan on running 12 max as the motor is stock .

12. Scott02GT

20 PSI means nothing, the probelm your not understanding it that a supra 6 makes it's torque more gradually than a Mustang, so you don't get the sudden Shock on the components. Not to mention that most supras start making their power higher up in the RPM's so again, the shock factor is again lowered. And I would not knock the t-56, tremec rates both the Cobra and all the LS1 ect.. chevys @ 550ft/lbs which is 100 lbs more than both supra trannies, so in short, get a t-56 and the right housing and bolt it up, I think it woul be your best bet

13. Attatoy

then cost become a huge factor. I have not evenn scene a t 56 for sale before, do they bolt up to the ford bell?

14. Scott02GT

You can get a t-56 from most junkyards. and a bell can be had easily too, I don't see how putting in a transmission from a completly different vehicle will be cheaper

15. Attatoy

trans 350 canadian. Clutch 100 ish, canadian, addaptor, 100 or less. all in canadian, The post some one made about the supra having less tourque does not make sence if the mustang makes lass tourque though a turbo set up then it does with out, till boost come on, whe\ich is the same with the supra , only more so at 20 pounds..... Would this be correct?
    I would love to get my hand on a tko, but they are hella expensive, despite that they are a great trans, this is a close to the same version that can be had for a fifth the price and get replacments for 300-400 bucks......tell me this does not make sence for a 400 hp combination!

16. Attatoy

oh and the t-56 ratings are lower then that in the camarows are they not, also same with pre 91 t-5s!

17. PuRpS

18. Scott02GT

Shit, if it's that cheap, then do it and post it, I thought is would be considerably more than that

19. Scott02GT

Don't know about the t-5's but the camaro t-56 is either two part numbers and tone is 450 the other is 550 on the tremec site, maybe the z06 transmission is the 550 one but either way, for four hundred bucks it would be worth a try with the Supra transmission regardless, as I said I thought it would be a hell of a lot more than that

20. Attatoy

i know g force makes kits to bult the t 5 built proof, but they replace almost every thing , and it cost way more then a tremec tko, I belive the problem with the t-5 is the case flexes, gear pattern become's deflected, then the theeth break, then you lost the race!